Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> User Songs & Videos -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The CS_TBL thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> User Songs & VideosMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2010-12-20 5:20 PM (#15190 - in reply to #15160)
Subject: Re: The CS_TBL thread

Expert

Technotris. From Tetris.. :P

Edited by CS_TBL 2010-12-20 5:20 PM
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2010-12-26 2:55 PM (#15195 - in reply to #15190)

Expert

Randar III (old MSX RPG from 1990)
CS_TBL
Posted 2011-04-15 5:03 PM (#15259 - in reply to #15195)

Expert

The latest game containing my music, made with the latest version of reViSiT! Out now! :-)

http://www.greyaliengames.com/springbonus/index.php

CS_TBL
Posted 2012-06-20 1:31 PM (#15319 - in reply to #15259)

Expert

A rather unknown Japanese RPG, an MSX2 game. Orchestrated with reViSiT. click
CS_TBL
Posted 2012-09-07 10:31 AM (#15364 - in reply to #15319)

Expert

A new composition based on themes from Konami's Parodius (which on its own is based on all kinda classical music). Clicky
CS_TBL
Posted 2012-09-12 2:15 PM (#15368 - in reply to #14060)

Expert

It's been a while, but: new FM8 dough!

Mutiny on the Bounty - Titles
CS_TBL
Posted 2012-11-16 10:38 AM (#15385 - in reply to #14060)

Expert

Another "indirect" reViSiT victory! http://composerschallenge.wordpress.com/vi/the-results/
jamesh
Posted 2012-11-18 6:54 PM (#15395 - in reply to #15385)

CS_TBL - 2012-11-16 10:38 AM

Another "indirect" reViSiT victory! http://composerschallenge.wordpress.com/vi/the-results/

Really like this! (found the entry video halfway down the page) Can't believe you put together such a great orchestral arrangement with REVISIT! Though most orchestral instruments are monophonic which definitely helps. Wonderful stuff.

(would also love to see a vid of this playing in Revisit simultaneously)

Edited by jamesh 2012-11-18 6:57 PM
fegi
Posted 2012-11-19 12:32 AM (#15396 - in reply to #15395)

Veteran

congratulations cs_tbl!

which vsti's or sound libraries did you use? how long did it take you to finish this? it sounds amazing
CS_TBL
Posted 2012-11-19 4:21 AM (#15397 - in reply to #15396)

Expert

jamesh "Can't believe you put together such a great orchestral arrangement with REVISIT!"

That remark is interesting really, as I've talked about this phenomenon with Chris some while ago during one of our chats. What makes you think it's actually special for this music being tracked? I'd say that making large orchestral mockups is even easier in a tracker than in a regular Cubase'esque arranger section with bars 'n stuff. (I couldn't have done this piece without a tracker, really!) Yet, it seems that very little people realize this, it's perhaps the automatic quantize character that people think makes things static. I'd say it's of no importance anymore as VST plugins offer things like random positioning, random volume etc.

Naturally I'm not 100% sure what you meant by that remark in the first place, so: do care to explain what aspects you can or can't relate to tracking, what parts you find hard to believe for tracking.. thoughts like that..

"(would also love to see a vid of this playing in Revisit simultaneously)"

There's not much to see really, if you hear a note then there is a note in revisit. I barely do any controlling with the effect column, only the occasional crescendi, subrow runs and sustain pedal on/off. Really, technically it's simpler than you may think, the result of all the instrumental articulations etc. being done by the plugins these days. I do remember the old days of ST3/IT where people stuffed the whole effect column with Dxy, Hxy, Exy, Fxy, Oxx stuff. Very non-flexible if you ever want to change something. That time is gone!

fegi: the regular stuff like VSL. Couple o' long days, the third part was originally the second part, but the ending of that part was so big I couldn't maintain it as 'only' a second part. Had to swap places and that required a wee bit overthinking.

Edited by CS_TBL 2012-11-19 4:29 AM
jamesh
Posted 2012-11-19 2:36 PM (#15398 - in reply to #15397)

CS_TBL - 2012-11-19 4:21 AM

jamesh "Can't believe you put together such a great orchestral arrangement with REVISIT!"

That remark is interesting really, as I've talked about this phenomenon with Chris some while ago during one of our chats. What makes you think it's actually special for this music being tracked? I'd say that making large orchestral mockups is even easier in a tracker than in a regular Cubase'esque arranger section with bars 'n stuff. (I couldn't have done this piece without a tracker, really!) Yet, it seems that very little people realize this, it's perhaps the automatic quantize character that people think makes things static. I'd say it's of no importance anymore as VST plugins offer things like random positioning, random volume etc.

Naturally I'm not 100% sure what you meant by that remark in the first place, so: do care to explain what aspects you can or can't relate to tracking, what parts you find hard to believe for tracking.. thoughts like that..

I can see how the remark could be taken as a snub to Revisit or tracking, so firstly let me get that out the way and clarify I didn't mean it in that way at all.

It's simply very impressive to me because I've never heard anything that convincingly orchestral before done in a tracker. The best orchestral tracker stuff I'd heard prior to this was the music in Unreal Tournament! I used to do a bit of orchestral composition and I primarily used the piano roll, so that is my background, but really thinking about it the thought of doing all that in a tracker definitely seems possible so my "can't believe" remark was more a figure of speech for how good it sounds than anything else.

I guess I'm just to used to tracker modules sounding chiptuney, hearing a full orchestral arrangement done with Revisit is pretty cool and thats why I was surprised and "couldn't believe it".

My usage of Revisit is primarily for effects that are a nuisance to do in MIDI, like chippy blippys sounds or fast looped arpeggios, things like that. I would never normally consider tracking a full arrangement, but that's just because it's not my background.

Hope that answers your question

Edited by jamesh 2012-11-19 2:40 PM
CS_TBL
Posted 2012-11-20 4:24 AM (#15400 - in reply to #15398)

Expert

Oh, I didn't see it as a snub, but I do see such situations a lot; I make something and people are like "how can this ever be tracked?". That was the interesting bit in the whole discussion. Maybe an Amiga MOD from the late 80's is all they remember and assume that technology hasn't advanced for trackers, only for MIDI tools. It may also be the total lack of attention given to tracking in the commercial music media, and even if there's any attention then it's usually in context of dance, house, trance, electro etc., never in any orchestral/pop/mainstream/classical context.

If you like these orchestral thingies: scroll up.. and if the link is broken: find them on www.msx.org, either in the downloads section or in the music player on the side (search for tracks ending on (Wolf)).
CS_TBL
Posted 2013-09-19 3:12 PM (#15435 - in reply to #14060)

Expert

Beep! Meal Gear 2
jamesh
Posted 2013-09-20 4:19 PM (#15436 - in reply to #15435)

CS_TBL - 2013-09-19 3:12 PM

Beep! Meal Gear 2

Wonderful - great to hear this again! As I mentioned in my PM I'm sure I remember you linking me to your site which had this track on some sort of instant messenger. Can't remember how we knew each other back then though, but that's the internet for you. Great when it really gets going, very imaginative remix.

Edited by jamesh 2013-09-20 4:20 PM
CS_TBL
Posted 2013-09-21 11:08 AM (#15437 - in reply to #15436)

Expert

Jeez, did I write Meal Gear? ^_^

That'll be forks 'n knives for ya.

I only just noted the PM btw.
CS_TBL
Posted 2013-10-06 9:29 AM (#15438 - in reply to #15437)

Expert

Antarctica - Deliverance (Vangelis)
CS_TBL
Posted 2013-12-20 12:36 PM (#15439 - in reply to #15438)

Expert

We Write the Story - FM8
CS_TBL
Posted 2015-01-03 2:21 AM (#15449 - in reply to #14060)

Expert

My latest game contribution!
fegi
Posted 2015-01-07 9:30 AM (#16449 - in reply to #15449)

Veteran

as always: impressive work now where's the fm8 remix? :P
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)