Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does ReViSiT work with Cubase 8?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & SupportMessage format

SparkyNZ
Posted 2018-07-03 4:51 AM (#17538)
Subject: Does ReViSiT work with Cubase 8?

New user

I had play with Revisit back in 2013 with Cubase 3 SX when Chris first started working on this. I currently use a combination of Renoise and Cubase together but I really want 1 DAW solution with the ability to compose via a tracker. Renoise is great with Rewire support but running two DAWs together is a pain.

I thought I'd give the current 1.8.4 x64 Windows version a try with Cubase 8 Pro but I'm not having any luck at all. I can't get rid of the splash screen but if it press keys on my Midi keyboard I can see them being added to the pattern in the background.

Below is a link to my screenshot.

https://imgur.com/a/pUCpy9A

Can somebody help me please?

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2018-07-10 10:59 AM (#17539 - in reply to #17538)
Subject: RE: Does ReViSiT work with Cubase 8?

Developer

Hi Sparky,

There does seem to be some issues with the splash screen in the current beta - apparently in Reaper and newer Cubase versions. For whatever reason, my Reaper install doesn't exhibit this and I'm otherwise still on Cubase 5. However, I have just ordered Cubase 9.5 Pro, in order to support x64 development of reViSiT/Manhattan, so hope to replicate (and fix) the problem soon. I've got some things I can try in the meantime, and plan to get a new beta out in the coming weeks.

I've also recently got a working alpha version of 1.9, featuring multiple pitch columns per channel ('polyphonic' channels). The mid-term goal for this feature is ultimately to also support chord spellings (e.g. "C-5 Maj7 Pn ยทยท .00"). No timeline on a public 1.9 beta, but hopefully this summer.

Best,
Chris

Sparky
Posted 2018-07-10 8:57 PM (#17540 - in reply to #17539)

Thanks Chris.

I have an Android/Windows tracker app of my own in development and I'm considering the possibility of turning that into a VST plugin which will allow me to edit MIDI notes in tracker style but have the resulting notes appear in Cubase's midi events. This isn't the way ReViSiT works is it? ReViSiT is essentially an audio plugin isn't it?

Do you know if it is possible to create a VST plugin which will allow the editing of Midi events in the DAW/Host? Obviously I'd like to target Cubase only for my own purely selfish needs.

chrisnash
Posted 2018-07-13 12:30 PM (#17542 - in reply to #17540)

Developer

Hi Sparky,

I have released a new beta of reViSiT 1.8 Pro, which I believe should address the current splash screen issue, as well as add a couple of other fixes and performance improvements:

http://revisit.info/beta.asp

reViSiT can output live MIDI, both to the host directly (via AU/VST) and to external MIDI drivers. You can record this output to a track, or hook it up to another synth. As you describe, the ideal for reViSiT would also be to integrate with the host's own MIDI tracks - effectively establishing it as an alternative part editor - but plugins are always at the mercy of the host and what's permitted by the plugin specification. Steinberg's VST3 spec made some progress along these lines, but is only really support in Steinberg hosts (Cubase and Nuendo), and I'm not sure to what degree even then. You could have a play with their VST3 SDK and see if you can peak inside a normal MIDI track - let me know what you find!

Best,
Chris

SparkyNZ
Posted 2018-07-13 5:07 PM (#17543 - in reply to #17542)

New user

Hi Chris. Just tried installing the beta version but it seems to be doing the same thing. How can I actually tell if its running the beta version? The splash screen says "1.8.0.4 Standard Edition". Would that mean that it's still running the old non-beta version?
chrisnash
Posted 2018-07-14 10:39 AM (#17544 - in reply to #17543)

Developer

Hi Sparky,

The beta version will appear as reViSiT Beta in the start menu. Note, the beta version is also only for registered users of the Pro Edition (you need a code to activate it).

However, I have migrated the changes to the Standard Edition, and made a new public release, which you can download here:

http://revisit.info/download.asp

Let me know how you get on, and if the problems are fixed.

Best,
Chris

SparkyNZ
Posted 2018-07-14 11:41 PM (#17545 - in reply to #17544)

New user

chrisnash - 2018-07-15 3:39 AM Let me know how you get on, and if the problems are fixed.

Best,
Chris

Sorry Chris, it definitely states "Version 1.8.0.5" this time but the splash screen still won't go away. I have the same problem in Renoise as well as Cubase so you could try downloading the Renoise demo version if you don't own it and you'll see the ssme behaviour.

My machine is running x64 Windows 7.
chrisnash
Posted 2018-07-15 10:43 AM (#17546 - in reply to #17545)

Developer

Hi Sparky,

I have since tested it 32/64-bit versions of REAPER, Renoise, Cubase 5 and 9.5, without having any problems.

I managed to reproduce the issue temporarily with REAPER 32-bit, but it mysteriously started working after a short delay. There's an outside chance an error message delayed dismissal of the splash screen, so I've added another small change:

reViSiT 1.8.6 Std/Pro (32 and 64-bit) http://revisit.info/download.asp

Fingers crossed...!

Best,
Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)