Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

questions concering pattern editing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & SupportMessage format

fegi
Posted 2006-07-18 8:46 AM (#13285)
Subject: questions concering pattern editing

Veteran

hi!

some questions:

1.) is there a step setting in revisit? what i mean is, that when entering a note, the cursor automatically jumps 4, 8 (or whatever is defined) lines downwards (which is very useful for drum composing and essential for fast tracking).

2.) in the faq i found the following:

Home/End Move to left/right of channel (first press), move to first/last channel (second press), move to first/last row (third press)

i found this not practible. when i press home i expect the cursor to jump to the first line of the current channel. at least it was this way in ft2 and mt2 (sorry, i never was an it2 user...so i don't know how it was there).

i would suggest to change this behaviour to the following:

Home/End Move to left/right of channel (first press), move to first/last row of the current channel (second press), move to first/last channel (third press)

3.) is it possible to delete a line in a channel without the lower lines moving up? i find it very annoying, that i have to press insert again, so that the notes below are in the right spot again.

4.) for the next build - could you please code a "dont forget to drink and eat function"? a "go to bed - you have to work tommorow" funtion would also be great. im tired

greetings,

fegi
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2006-07-18 7:33 PM (#13286 - in reply to #13285)

Developer

Hi Fegi,

1.) is there a step setting in revisit? what i mean is, that when entering a note, the cursor automatically jumps 4, 8 (or whatever is defined) lines downwards (which is very useful for drum composing and essential for fast tracking).

Alt+n where n is the number of rows to step by. Alt-0 will step the cursor to the next channel.

2.) i would suggest to change this behaviour to the following:

Home/End Move to left/right of channel (first press), move to first/last row of the current channel (second press), move to first/last channel (third press)

You're right, this is copying IT behaviour. You suggestions seems logical, but in practice the current system works better. It is already easy to move to the start or end of a channel using a few presses of Page Up and Down. Moving to the start or end of the row is more difficult without the Home/End shortcut, and would require several (up to 63) tab presses!

3.) is it possible to delete a line in a channel without the lower lines moving up? i find it very annoying, that i have to press insert again, so that the notes below are in the right spot again.

The problem is that Delete and Backspace keys have defined behaviours - thanks to their use in word processors, etc. - and I don't want to confuse users by changing that in reViSiT. Instead, what I'll do is add a new shortcut (for v0.89.4): Shift-Delete, which clears the current cell without moving anything. I've also made it so that Shift-Alt-Delete clears the entire row without moving anything. In other words: from .4 you'll be able to hold down shift to prevent the shuffle.

4.) for the next build - could you please code a "dont forget to drink and eat function"? a "go to bed - you have to work tommorow" funtion would also be great. im tired

Heh, if only I could work out someway to bill users by the minute...  In the meantime, checkout http://www.albionresearch.com/astopnow/.

All the best,
Chris

Anonymous
Posted 2006-07-22 5:23 PM (#13287 - in reply to #13286)

i got some stupid problem now...i cant switch between volume and panning editing with any key. i changed the language settings in windows to english (uk) but no luck. i have a keyboard with german layout.
fegi
Posted 2006-07-22 5:43 PM (#13288 - in reply to #13287)

Veteran

damn...forgot to log in

the other thing i wanted to say is, that i tried out the step setting. first im glad that it is already included and basically it worked, but 2 things could be improved:

1.) due to the method with alt & number i can't set steps higher than 9 (though i often used step settings of 16 or 32 in other trackers). i like the way it is solved in mad tracker: you press ^ or shift-^ to increase or decrese the step setting. the current value could be shown next to the current octave on top of the channels. what do you think?

2.) in my opinion the step setting should not affect the moving with the cursor keys, but only the entering of notes/volume/effects etc. because very often you are just not at the right line with your cursor but need to go one line up, then you have to press alt-1 again to do that and then set alt-8 again. this is hard to explain, but know what i mean?

Record Mode ON/OFF

i also miss a function to turn recording in pattern editor on and off. i dont know how others do that, but im used to select an instrument, play around on my keyboard to find a melody, and when i have it i turn record mode on and enter the data in the pattern editor.

greetings on a f****** hot summer day,

fegi
chrisnash
Posted 2006-07-22 6:58 PM (#13289 - in reply to #13288)

Developer

1.) due to the method with alt & number i can't set steps higher than 9 (though i often used step settings of 16 or 32 in other trackers). i like the way it is solved in mad tracker: you press ^ or shift-^ to increase or decrese the step setting. the current value could be shown next to the current octave on top of the channels. what do you think?

Press Shift to increase the step by 10 - Alt-Shift-4 = Cursor step 14.

2.) in my opinion the step setting should not affect the moving with the cursor keys, but only the entering of notes/volume/effects etc. because very often you are just not at the right line with your cursor but need to go one line up, then you have to press alt-1 again to do that and then set alt-8 again. this is hard to explain, but know what i mean?

I know what you mean, but the cursor step does have it's advantages. I thought there was some function I added to override the cursor step, but I can't find it. So I'll add one... ur, Alt... yeah, there we go. In 0.89.4, you'll be able to hold down "alt" to always move in 1's - ignoring the cursor step. That way you can quickly line up to the notes you want.

Record Mode ON/OFF

i also miss a function to turn recording in pattern editor on and off. i dont know how others do that, but im used to select an instrument, play around on my keyboard to find a melody, and when i have it i turn record mode on and enter the data in the pattern editor.

This has come up before and is a hang over from FT2-styled trackers. Not a feature I like. To audition melodies before entering them, use the Instrument List - position the cursor over the "Play" area and 'do your thing'.

Chris

chrisnash
Posted 2006-07-22 7:02 PM (#13290 - in reply to #13289)

Developer

i got some stupid problem now...i cant switch between volume and panning editing with any key. i changed the language settings in windows to english (uk) but no luck. i have a keyboard with german layout.

Hunt down the ` symbol on your keyboard. On UK layouts, it's left of the 1 key. To help US people, I also added support for ' (that's the apostrophe pointing the other way) - half way between Return and 'L' (and under '@')- so you could look for that symbol. Any apostrophe should do!

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-07-22 9:39 PM (#13291 - in reply to #13290)

Expert

In IT2 you could move the cursor up or down 1 step, regardless of the cursorstep, with [ctrl]+[home] or [ctrl]+[end] .. I suggest sticking to this for uniformity..

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
chrisnash
Posted 2006-07-23 1:20 AM (#13292 - in reply to #13291)

Developer

That's the kiddy! Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End, I knew I'd done it before (it's in reViSiT).

I like the Alt idea better, mind, so I'll leave them both in. Perhaps one day when I run out of keys for functions one of them will get the axe...

Chris

fegi
Posted 2006-07-26 10:08 AM (#13293 - in reply to #13292)

Veteran

i also like the alt idea even better...sounds great

i found the key to switch between panning and volume mode on a german keyboard: it is "shift-ö". another thing i did wrong was, that the cursor was not in the volume column when i tried it first. i think this is an error many non-it2 users might do. maybe this should be added to the site-faqs?

so then i tried to pan a piano part (some notes to the left, some to the right), but the panning didn't work as i expected. again i thought i did something wrong, but then i found your posting about the midi implementation in revisit, which explains everything

this is off topic, but a forum search for "panning" returns no results, even though the word is in the thread mentioned above. seems like the search looks just in thread titles.

greetings,

fegi
chrisnash
Posted 2006-07-26 5:55 PM (#13294 - in reply to #13293)

Developer

i found the key to switch between panning and volume mode on a german keyboard: it is "shift-ö". another thing i did wrong was, that the cursor was not in the volume column when i tried it first. i think this is an error many non-it2 users might do. maybe this should be added to the site-faqs?

Quite, I'll make sure it's in the help files - it's that way in case I want to have other modes for other columns. You'll also be happy to hear that I have my own German keyboard here, so I'll be coming up with a German layout at some point.

so then i tried to pan a piano part (some notes to the left, some to the right), but the panning didn't work as i expected. again i thought i did something wrong, but then i found your posting about the midi implementation in revisit, which explains everything

You mean that panning a single note on a MIDI channel pans the whole channel? Yeah, isn't MIDI great?

this is off topic, but a forum search for "panning" returns no results, even though the word is in the thread mentioned above. seems like the search looks just in thread titles.

Yeah, I noticed that some time ago. It's rubbish - and has been a complaint of Aimoo forums for years. They promised to change it once, but it doesn't look like anything happenned. If I could get all the posts off this forum and save them, I'd move, but guess what also isn't a feature of Aimoo?

Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)