Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

porta to note - how is it done?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & SupportMessage format

fegi
Posted 2006-09-06 8:47 AM (#13295)
Subject: porta to note - how is it done?

Veteran

yeah, me is stupid. im confused with the midi cc stuff. could someone please give an example how a simple porta to note command works in revisit? thank you

greetings,

fegi
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2006-09-06 9:43 PM (#13296 - in reply to #13295)

Developer

For the most part, it's exactly the same as a sampled instrument... except for the Pitch Bend setting...

MIDI doesn't have portamento, so programs have to fake it using pitch bends. A specific MIDI device will have a specific range it can bend the pitch in. This is aptly called "Pitch Bend Range", and it is usually either 1 octave or 2. However, this range can vary not only with MIDI device, but also the patch or program on that device. It could even be 0 (pitch bend does nothing).

For reViSiT to give you an accurate portamento, you need to tell it what the pitch range of the MIDI voice you're trying to use is. This is done in the Instrument List -> Pitch/MIDI -> Settings dialog. So, if you're using an AKAI S6000 sampler, the pitch bend range on the sampler AND in reViSiT must match - and must be greater than 0 (2 octaves, or 12 semitones, is optimal).

Then, reViSiT will transmit the appropriate pitch bend data. Note: this will of course only work within the specified range. So, although sampled instruments can slide from C-0 to B-9, MIDI instruments will probably only slide as far as C-2 and then stop.

Hope this helps,
Chris

fegi
Posted 2006-09-10 5:04 PM (#13297 - in reply to #13296)

Veteran

thanks for your answer so far...but what i don't know is, which effect do i have to use?

i tried to do a porta to note with the 4 Front Bassmodule vsti for example.

in the pattern editor i entered the following:

A-3 .. ...
... .. ...
... .. ...
... .. ...
A-3 .. ...
... .. ...
D-4 .. G02
... .. G00
E-4 .. ...

but instead of sliding from A-3 to D-4 the vsti stops playing and continues again with E-4.

im sure im doing something completely wrong here
chrisnash
Posted 2006-09-11 12:31 AM (#13298 - in reply to #13297)

Developer

Does specifying an instrument make any difference? For example...

A-3 01 ...
... .. ...
... .. ...
... .. ...
A-3 01 ...
... .. ...
D-4 01 G02
... .. G00
E-4 01 ...

fegi
Posted 2006-09-11 7:09 AM (#13299 - in reply to #13298)

Veteran

no...sorry for the confusion. i just left the instrument column out in the posting above. in the module itself all notes have an instrument number specified.

btw.: you can find the 4front bass module vsti here. is it possible that not all vsti's support porta to note?
chrisnash
Posted 2006-09-11 12:21 PM (#13300 - in reply to #13299)

Developer

ARGH! Not 4Front again... :/

I can confirm problems with 4Front Piano - it seems to act like a monophonic instrument, but this behaviour is not restricted to reViSiT. In any case, this is a sign that their MIDI implementation is basic, if not a bit temperamental, and so it wouldn't surprise me if the Bass module also had problems.

There are two things you can do to check this:

1) Try pitch bending 4Front Bass without using reViSiT. Easiest would be a MIDI keyboard (with pitch wheel) linked straight to its input. If the pitch bending stops the note, you know where your problem is.

2) Try a portamento or a pitch slide in reViSiT with a different MIDI/VSTi device.

It seems a little strange to me that a VSTi would stop a note upon a pitch bend, and not just ignore the pitch bend completely, but its certainly not out of the realms of possibility. Then again, if it does start to look like a reViSiT problem, you might also try the simple pitch slides (not portamentos) and see if they have problems too.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)