Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about the Midi outs in the future
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

rpc9943
Posted 2004-09-02 1:56 PM (#13348)
Subject: Question about the Midi outs in the future

Regular

Chris,

Just wondering how you are going to pan out the instrument midi outs? Will you be able to assign instruments to send midi out through a specific channel? The reason I ask is because I wonder how I will handle that in tracktion...

RonC
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2004-09-03 1:55 AM (#13349 - in reply to #13348)

Developer

Initially, MIDI out behaviour will be similar to IT - the instrument pages will allow you to specify a MIDI channel, bank, program number and then transmit these to the VST host. Initially there will be the standard 16 MIDI channels, but most hosts should allow you to share these among different external MIDI outs and VSTi's. Also, depending on the VST spec, the timbrality will be increased (32 or more, hopefully).

I still have a bit of research to do into this aspect of reViSiT, but I hope this answers your question,
Chris

Joakim Lindén
Posted 2004-09-12 2:15 PM (#13350 - in reply to #13349)

I would absolutely LOVE it if the tracker could send midi directly to synths/effects. Will this be implemented in the future? I.e. the synth showing up like a midi device in the midi settings - just like in Cubase and other hosts.
Anonymous
Posted 2004-09-12 5:07 PM (#13351 - in reply to #13350)

Reply to : Joakim Lindén [Anonymous]

I would absolutely LOVE it if the tracker could send midi directly to synths/effects.

I vote for that too. Very powerful tracker that would be.
chrisnash
Posted 2004-09-13 12:51 PM (#13352 - in reply to #13351)

Developer

Whatever MIDI support there is will always be conducted through the host. To access the MIDI devices directly, I would have to forego VST and talk to the OS's driver layer - which will very quickly make reViSiT platform dependent. Also, there's a good chance that the MIDI device will already be "busy", since it is in use in the host. However, most VST hosts should be able to flexibly (and intuitively!) route the MIDI output of reViSiT to your desired synth/effect.

All the best,
Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)