Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

multiple format support?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

rpfr
Posted 2004-09-11 10:34 PM (#13358)
Subject: multiple format support?

Hi Chris,

do you have any plans on .xm, .mod or other format support (maybe using the bass replayer) ? I'd highly welcome that and i'm sure many other trackers would encourage it!

Cheers,
Ronny
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2004-09-11 11:04 PM (#13359 - in reply to #13358)

Developer

Hi Ronny,

Support for .IT, .MOD and .XM files are planned (in roughly that order), but I'm not sure how much I want to look backwards to previous formats. However, before .IT support can be finalised, I have to implement Instrument models - which is what I'm currently working on.

What is this bassreplayer you speak of?

All the best,
Chris

rpfr
Posted 2004-09-12 12:59 PM (#13360 - in reply to #13359)

i meant the bass library by un4seen > http://www.un4seen.com/bass.html. it supports all kinds of formats but i'm not 100% sure if it's applicable in case of your plugin.

another idea concerning formats, what about using the now open sourced modplug tracker format code? http://sourceforge.net/projects/modplug/

i'd see much use in your plugin for people like me who worked with other trackers in the past who may want to master their tracks using modern software. just firing up an old module in reViSiT, assigning instruments to individual outputs and then routing them through effects in the host is a very promising idea for proceeding fast.

ronny
chrisnash
Posted 2004-09-12 1:55 PM (#13361 - in reply to #13360)

Developer

This BASS system looks like a very neat product, and had I known about it when starting out, I might have used it in earlier versions. However, I would most likely have removed it by now. There are two problems: it's a black box - I have no idea what's going on inside it, and will not be able to attend to any issues with importing, etc. (I would have to wait for an update from BASS); it's Windows only - I'm trying to make reViSiT easily portable, even at the expense of making it easily programmable!

Also, I have already looked at OpenMPT, but it's biased towards C, rather than C++, and there is quite a world of difference. However, I have occassionally taken a look at their import algorithms when I hit a brick wall with the IT file specification - sometimes it helps, but most of the time the solution involves trawling through lines of code, step-by-step.

For the most part, the old file formats are fairly well-documented and I don't anticipate to many problems in providing .IT, .XM, .MOD and .S3M format support. I have a number of unfinished .IT files myself, so I'm with you on the desire to remix with modern standards, effects, and MIDI devices.

All the best,
Chris

rpfr
Posted 2004-09-12 3:54 PM (#13362 - in reply to #13361)

hi chris,

great to hear! looking forward to a xm/mod version sooner or later. until that i'll keep the _rohformat/.schleudertrauma. catalogue (+250 tracks) in the mastering pipeline

ronny
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)