Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bigger UI ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

Anonymous
Posted 2004-09-12 5:37 PM (#13376)
Subject: Bigger UI ?

Very interesting project.. Some suggestions:

- resizable window to accommodate more tracks. I find the pattern editor to be unnecessarily small.
- customizable spacing between rows and columns in pattern editor. Everything looks a bit squashed now.
- customizable colors and hotkeys.

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rpc9943
Posted 2004-09-13 12:36 AM (#13377 - in reply to #13376)

Regular

I agree, however I believe other things should be worked on first:

1. Instruments
2. .IT/.xm/.mod etc importing
3. Mouse support

RonC
chrisnash
Posted 2004-09-13 12:46 PM (#13378 - in reply to #13377)

Developer

Hi Mr. Mystery Man,

The UI is quite closely modelled on Impulse Tracker's, but some conservatism with space has also been added (mirroring most other trackers), to allow more information on a single screen - as well as compatibility for those users without 1280x1024 dual monitors. Unfortunately, resizing creates a lot of problems, and is thus not currently on the table. However, I do concede that it would be a desirable feature, so I will probably have another look later down the road.

Colours may well be customizable, but more likely through the use of some form of skin treatment. However, I think hotkeys will be preset - ensuring that the original choices are the most efficient / intuitive. It is my belief that the ability to set your own key commands, particularly in program with so many, is liable to add more confusion. It really only serves people who are migrating from a different program (i.e. Fast Tracker) and want to adjust the keys to something they are familiar with. I am definitely a keyboard junkie and never had any complaints about the commands in IT, or their inflexibility. When I started using Renoise, however, I initially set the keys to mirror IT as best I could - but the disparate nature of the keyboard support simply slowed me down. Now, if I use Renoise, I use the default keyboard layout. This has generally lead me to the conclusion that there is only one person who can determine the best keys for a program: the developer. If there is a good reason for changing a particular shortcut - I'll be happy to hardcode that as part of the program. Comments, anybody?

For now, however, I have to agree with RonC and the priorities he mentioned... in that exact order. Though he missed out "Variable Length Patterns" - which slots in between 1 and 2.

All the best,
Chris

rpc9943
Posted 2004-09-13 3:34 PM (#13379 - in reply to #13378)

Regular

I wholeheartedly agree on your strict IT gui / hotkeys. It's about DAMN time someone has stood up for the impulse tracker enthusiasts! I agree also, that all new trackers have NO place for impulse tracker hotkeys. Even if you try, its not Impulse tracker. Hence reViSiT. I cant wait for further updates!!!

RonC
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)