Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Speed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

Temporary
Posted 2005-07-01 1:17 PM (#13513)
Subject: Speed

Speed
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Temporary
Posted 2005-07-01 1:19 PM (#13514 - in reply to #13513)

Sorry, I accidently pressed enter.

As Axx are not available. Are there any way to speed up the pattern-playing besides changing the tempo in the host.

I really like to use Trackers for Dnb drums and I need to play the lines veeeeery fast.

bg,

Fredrik

chrisnash
Posted 2005-07-02 2:43 PM (#13515 - in reply to #13514)

Developer

Hi Fredrik,

No, there isn't currently a way to either speed up the pattern or introduce extra resolution. However, most drum n' bass usually uses a high tempo (often 160-180bpm), which should give you a start. Also, the note delay (SDx) and retrig commands (Qxy) lend themselves to drum n' bass, effectively giving you 6x extra resolution. Hunt down the IT2 documentation for details on how to really exploit these effects - you are likely to find the x volume macro parameter of Qxy particularly useful.

As for the future of the Axx command, it has not yet been completely decided how this will feature in reViSiT. There are technical and practical reasons against keeping the old IT2 speed competence. Technically, it will require a switch to floating-point numbers (decimals) in the Advanced Sync algorithm, which could impact performance. Practically, it has the potential to make the beat/bar mapping from the host to the tracker's row/pattern completely meaningless. The likely alternative is to simply make Axx control resolution without affecting the speed of playback. So A08 will have twice as many ticks per row as A04, but the row will still last the same amount of time - and therefore maintain the mapping. The other advantage here is that most of the old IT2 effect commands will still react to Axx changes the same - e.g. pitch slides will still slide the same distance for a given stretch of rows, as they would in IT2 (though they might do it slower). The only likely problems will be with loops not quite lining up (but you could vary the host's tempo to fix that). It will also allow everyone to use much higher resolutions - again to be principally exploited with the SDx and Qxy feature.

A second type of resolution enhancement will also come eventually. It might be the previously discussed "pattern zoom", where specific blocks and ranges in the pattern can contain twice (or four times) the amount of rows for the same duration. Alternatively, I might just make it so that you can convert an entire pattern into a High Resolution Pattern - which also features twice (or perhaps four times) the amount of rows for the same duration. Of course, I might just do both.

I'll probably attempt the Axx resolution control for one of the upcoming Alpha releases, but the zoom and hires options will be post v1.0.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Anonymous
Posted 2005-07-07 1:53 PM (#13516 - in reply to #13515)

You could just simply make 2x faster, as in going into 3 resolution... I think that would fix it up nicely for the time being

RonC
chrisnash
Posted 2005-07-08 11:01 AM (#13517 - in reply to #13516)

Developer

Sadly, making everything 2x faster is not a practical solution. Aside from ticking those off who are quite happy with the current speed, it would also make all previously saved files incompatible (they would, of course, play twice as fast). I'm afraid everyone will just have to wait until the new Axx resolution command comes. However, this shouldn't be long, and when it comes it will support all integer resolutions. For speed changes, people will either have to use the tempo facility in concert with a resolution change, or wait for hi-resolution patterns.

Chris

rpc9943
Posted 2005-07-10 4:58 PM (#13518 - in reply to #13517)

No what i mean is to have the option during the wait for axx. We could click "doublespeed" in options or something.

RonC
chrisnash
Posted 2005-07-10 9:00 PM (#13519 - in reply to #13518)

Developer

Well, it would be a quick fix, but I was thinking about the Axx resolution command for next version anyway, so short of me producing a special version for this double-speed command, it's a bit of a moot point really.

If I drop Axx from .2, then I'll give it another think.

Regards,
Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)