Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"MAPPED" midi channel mode, interface, keys, etc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

virtjk
Posted 2005-07-04 9:28 PM (#13520)
Subject: "MAPPED" midi channel mode, interface, keys, etc

Chris,

Absolutely amazing work. I've been following the project since its inception, tried a very old version, and just downloaded 0.87.1 today. Blown away. This is sorely needed in the sea of FT2-wannabes, and I will evangelize it everywhere I can. You've gotten some questions about splitting MIDI channels between devices, but I couldn't find anywhere that this was raised:

In IT's instrument page, the MIDI Channel parameter can scroll past 16, to a value called "Mapped". This forces notes of that instrument to be sent on the MIDI channel corresponding to the pattern channel, so for instance a note on channel 3 in the pattern will go to MIDI channel 3. Working with a low-polyphony multitimbral synthesizer, setting up a bank of 48 programs for each of its 8 midi channels would normally require 384 instruments to be defined! With mapped mode, however, you only have to define them once, and can then send them on any channel you like from the pattern. Each channel of course will be monophonic, but it's a great compromise for older multitimbral synths. Like this one.

Apologies if this is actually supported and I'm stupidly missing it.

I'll be sending you missing keystroke combinations whenever I find them, because it's little shortcuts that give IT its massive speed advantage. First one I've noticed is missing is Ctrl+Home/End which will move the cursor up or down one row regardless of the cursor increment setting. There's always some dude out there who uses things like that and whose world is crushed by their exclusion in workalikes.

Also on my wishlist is channel display sets. (LCtrl+Shift+1/2/3/4 in IT's pattern view). I have used preset 2 for years, and know a few people crazy enough to use 3 and 4. In fact, I'm so accustomed to 2 that it's harder to write using fat, non-colorized, uniformly spaced columns.

You may also be interested in the recent flurry of activity on the Schism project, which is as close to a 1:1 multiplatform IT clone as I've seen, and is coming along REALLY well. It too needs love in the areas of key commands and MIDI handling. I'm going to end up using reViSiT heavily in my Cubase projects, and Schism for tracking S3M-only chiptunes.

Keep rocking, and I'll post more feedback once I've jammed with it for a while.

----------
http://virt.vgmix.com

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2005-07-05 5:59 PM (#13521 - in reply to #13520)
Subject: "MAPPED" midi channel mode, interface, keys, etc

Developer

Hi Virtjk,

It's always nice to see one's work appreciated - thank you. To response to some of your comments/queries...

Re: Mapped MIDI. The current version does not include a Mapped MIDI mode - infact, I have no idea that IT2 even did this. However it seems like a very simple idea, so I'll definitely jam it in at some stage. I'll also make it so that Tracker Channels 17-32, 33-48 and 49-64 map to MIDI channels 1-16. This'll give you some polyphony, even if it is an odd approach! Perhaps after v1.0 we can explore better ways to exploit such a mapping facility.

Re: Missing keystrokes. Overlooked IT2 keystrokes are always welcome, though some of the omissions might currently be due to features not being implemented yet.

Re: Channel Display sets. I think I stumbled across those a couple of times in IT2 by accident, but never used them. For the time being, I'm going to hold off on this feature. Eventually I'm hoping to have a lot of flexibility in the layout - including resizable windows, full-screen mode, etc. So, it makes sense to wait until I can see how all these features will work with each other, before plunging into code.

Keep the feedback coming - and it'd also be nice to hear any stuff you've used reViSiT for (Anyone?)!

All the best,
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)