Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT v0.87.3 update released!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-13 12:14 AM (#13555)
Subject: reViSiT v0.87.3 update released!

Developer

Hi Everyone,

Season's greetings. I'm pleased to deliver a new version for the holidays. This new version and new interface should unequivocally solve everyone's keyboard issues, but due to the amount that's changed, don't be surprised if there's the odd "undocumented feature"! Here's the skinny on what's new:

• A new interface, with split toolbar/editing windows, featuring...
    Fully resizable pattern editing, supporting dual monitors. Support for resolutions up to 3200x1200 (2x1600x1200). A maximise facility to quickly restore/enlarge the pattern editor window. Fully positionable window (just click on the top bar and drag). Completely new aesthetic.
  • The pattern forms the foundation of a new editing window...
    Other screens now appear as movable popup dialogs in the foreground of the pattern. Without sacrificing: 100% compatible with earlier IT2 and reViSiT keyboard commands. Change between pattern and other pages with the F-keys, or use Escape to "backup" to the pattern editor.
  • A new toolbar interface...
    Can be used without displaying the editing window (to forego graphics processing completely) for playback only. Can be completely ignored / safely hidden - all functions are available from the editing window and through the keyboard.

The next stop should be Instrument Support, including Envelopes and NNA's (New Note Actions). Please report back with any comments, queries or problems you might have.

If you have already applied to the Alpha programme, you will have an email containing the details of the download. If you haven't applied, go to http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/download.htm and sign up for the download.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to pose them on the forum - or to me directly by email, via revisit@nashnet.co.uk. For more information, see the reViSiT website @ http://revisit.nashnet.co.uk.

Enjoy!

All the best,
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trimute-Ti
Posted 2005-12-13 7:22 AM (#13556 - in reply to #13555)

I used reViSiT in eXT, created 2 patterns, has saved project, then, tried to load this project and..

error :-(

"""

VST: C:\AUDIO\VST\Tracker\reViSiT.dll
error reading block 'Data' size 60224

"""

Jacob Carstens
Posted 2005-12-13 10:27 AM (#13557 - in reply to #13556)

New user

Thanks Chris

Wonderful update. It feels great to maximize that tracker window on my 1400x1050 and suddenly completely transform my VST host into a tracker. And it looks beautiful too - quite often I look at gui's and think "why didn't they put this here instead?" or "why this color?", not the case with reViSiT - great work!
It doesn't hurt that loading a few samples and creating a pattern is as simple as 10 keystrokes.

chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-18 6:34 PM (#13558 - in reply to #13557)

Developer

Trimute-Ti: Can you send me a copy of the module (.zip) file you created so that I can see what's going on?

Chris

Trimute-Ti
Posted 2005-12-19 11:14 AM (#13559 - in reply to #13558)

module (zip) i did not create :-(

only *.ext

chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-19 4:28 PM (#13560 - in reply to #13559)

Developer

No worries - send me the .ext file and I'll try and extract the module data.

Chris

Trimute-Ti
Posted 2005-12-20 8:01 AM (#13561 - in reply to #13560)

Hi )

well, I send you file (*.ext)

chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-20 3:21 PM (#13562 - in reply to #13561)

Developer

Thanks, Trinute-Ti, I've managed to fix the problem now. They'll be an update forthcoming in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Chris

Anonymous
Posted 2005-12-21 6:21 AM (#13563 - in reply to #13562)

Was glad to help =)

..у me there is question:

there is possibility to change size pattern more or less 64 rows?

chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-21 12:33 PM (#13564 - in reply to #13563)

Developer

Indeed there is - but there are problems with this in v0.87.3. Normally, you would be able to hit Ctrl-F2 in the Pattern Editor and move the Pattern Length Slider up to 256.

Chris

Trimute-Ti
Posted 2005-12-22 8:15 AM (#13565 - in reply to #13564)

thank you for help :-)

I have some offers:

1. Add the choice wave sample not entering the number sample, but by means of keys, for instance ctrl+w, as in Buzz Tracker (the module Matilde tracker).

2. Add else one row (column) for FX, one sometimes comes short.
( analogue - tracker Matilde).

3. When you will enter the data, cursor automatically moves to
following point, this not much comfortable.

4. If use the combination of the keys Alt+0 - a cursor moves to
the following track, better when he stays put and you may enter
given (for instance note) changing old.

5. Much comes short effect - reverse.

P.S. excuse me for my bad english.

chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-22 1:34 PM (#13566 - in reply to #13565)

Developer

Hi Trimute-Ti,

> I have some offers:
>
> 1. Add the choice wave sample not entering the number sample, but by means of keys, for instance ctrl+w, as in Buzz Tracker (the module Matilde tracker).

You can change the instrument, in reViSiT, using several ways already. As you say, you can type in the sample number. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcuts Shift+',' or Shift+'.' to decrement or increment the current instrument (like in IT2). Ctrl-Down and Ctrl-Up will have the same effect.

There is also a drop menu, like in Buzz. Just click the instrument readout at the top of the pattern editor. There is no way to activate it by the keyboard e.g. Alt-W (not Ctrl-W), as in Buzz, but I will look to add this in a later version.

> 2. Add else one row (column) for FX, one sometimes comes short. ( analogue - tracker Matilde).

This is already ear-marked for a future version, as well as multiple pitch columns (for chord on one channel) - though these will only be displayed when needed, so as not to overwhelm the user with endless columns. Also coming will be the option to trigger some effects from the volume/panning column (like Dx, etc. in IT2), which will allow more than one effect a row. Another way to acheive this, already in reViSiT, is to add effects to the Instrument Keymap - but these will be triggered everytime you hit that particular note/pitch.

> 3. When you will enter the data, cursor automatically moves to following point, this not much comfortable.

'Not entirely sure what you mean here. reViSiT apes Impulse Tracker with regards to stepping the cursor upon data entry. It has been proven to be a highly efficient ("comfortable") method. I would hazard a guess that you have simply got to used to Buzz Tracker, which despite being an excellent and powerful program, is not a great example of good interface design.

> 4. If use the combination of the keys Alt+0 - a cursor moves to the following track, better when he stays put and you may enter given (for instance note) changing old.

There is really little application of a zero-step cursor. If you just want to audition notes, use the sample or instrument list. The Alt+0 track skip is to make it easier to enter chords. Again, these are all time-honoured and established practises of Impulse Tracker.

> 5. Much comes short effect - reverse.

Don't understand what you've written here. Is it that you'd like to see a sample reverse effect (e.g. play sample backwards)? This is earmarked for a future version, but not being a feature of Impulse Tracker, it is not an immediate priority.

> P.S. excuse me for my bad english.

I think I got the gist of what you were saying - let me know if I misundertood you at any stage.

One last thing: I definitely want to hear everyone's ideas for new features on reViSiT - all of them, but there are a couple of things I'd like to point out (and this is for everyone):

* Fundamental to reViSiT is the interface. One of my goals is to bring the power and efficiency of the tracking interface to mainstream music production. reViSiT is trying to extend the musical potential of tracking as well as boost its appeal to non-trackers, by becoming easier-to-learn and -use without compromising on power or speed or working. Making the architecture or interface too complex, by adding too many features will deter newcomers. Hence...

* reViSiT builds on Impulse Tracker 2. The main reason for this is that the interface was the most efficient, fastest and easiest-to-use of all trackers, and managed to pack one of the most advanced and flexible music software engines of its day. It allows you to almost touch-type music. reViSiT aims to continue this roadmap, and even add a degree more user-friendliness. Buzz Tracker was designed with a different goal: to be a powerful synthesis platform. It falls short on the interface front. As does Fast Tracker, of which the only advantage I can really see over Impulse Tracker was a slightly prettier skin and a game of snake. Renoise used to be another example of a feature-laden and very, very powerful program that was beset by an inferior interface (styled on FT2) - though it has made improvements more recently.

Therefore, the only program that reViSiT will bear any resemblence to is Impulse Tracker 2 - and even this will only be up to reViSiT v1.0. People certainly shouldn't look at reViSiT as the next Renoise, Fast or Buzz Tracker. Eventually and gradually, reViSiT will evolve into it's own tracker and the only parts of IT2 that will be recognisable therein will be the principles of efficient interface design that earnt it so much success. So, I'm happy for people to say, "Renoise has this cool feature where...", and it might even inspire a change / addition in reViSiT, but it will always be in the spirit of reViSiT, so might come out somewhat different!

I hope I managed to explain myself!

Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)