Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FEATURE: Play patterns with midi notes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

Jacob Carstens
Posted 2005-12-13 10:19 AM (#13567)
Subject: FEATURE: Play patterns with midi notes

New user

I've been using reViSiT as a drum / percussion tool, playing in sync with my host. It all works great, it's fast and simple, except for one thing:

I am forced to work with two sequencers and keep them in sync manually. If I insert a bar or two in the host sequencer I have to change the entries in the reViSiT playback sequence.

Now here's my idea:

Associate a midi note with every pattern so I can trigger reViSiT patterns directly from the host sequencer or from a midi keyboard.
It requires two new dialog items in the top of the pattern editor (maybe three):
Midi Channel, Midi Note, Toggle (on / off). The toggle will enable reViSiT to work as a live tool.

The ideal solution would be to enable playback of multiple patterns simultaneously. An alternative would be to have the midi playback work like this:

C4 is mapped to pattern 0, D4 is mapped to pattern 1. Toggle is on. The first C4 note starts playing pat. 0, then D4 is hit in the middle of pattern 0, so the pattern is changed. Now when D4 is hit again, playback stops.

Another question is that of synchronization. The simplest would probably be to play a pattern from position 0 when the note is hit, in some cases though It might be preferable to leave the host-sync intact and snap playback to the bars of the host.

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-18 6:31 PM (#13568 - in reply to #13567)
Subject: Feature Request: Play patterns with midi notes

Developer

Hi Jacob,

Actually, this idea has already been thought of. The current thinking is to introduce an effect command that will Jump to Pattern - similar to how Bxx jumps to a specific order. Then, one could go into the instrument keymap and add their [MIDI] pitch --> pattern mappings (as effects). Then MIDI triggers note, triggers pattern. At the moment, however, the current sync architecture doesn't support this kind of flexibility - but I think I might know how to adapt it. It might, though, come down to requireing a manual switch to disable the Order List.

However, because this isn't strictly a feature of IT2, it won't be high on the priority list right now. I essentially see v1.0 being an HQ Impulse Tracker plug-in with a couple of innovations (such as improved MIDI support). There are lots of other innovations that have been thought up by myself and others that will then come in later versions.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Jacob Carstens
Posted 2005-12-18 8:37 PM (#13569 - in reply to #13568)

New user

Thanks for your reply.

I had a feeling it would require some changes at a low level, so I can defeinatly understand how you want to focus on the initial goals. I wouldn't mind a manual switch to disable the order-list (isn't it kind'a disabled by default, when it has no entries though?).
Thanks for listening, and keep up the good work.
chrisnash
Posted 2005-12-19 12:14 AM (#13570 - in reply to #13569)

Developer

Actually, it isn't disabled by default - the order list still plays, but it plays silence. This is so that if you had a stretch of tracked accompaniment at the start of a piece and the end of the piece, you don't have to fill in the intermeaning gap in the order list with a blank pattern. Also, it allows me to map time to order linearly, making it nice and simple. At some stage, I'll investigate some more advanced ordering methods (even within the order list model), but for now, I'm afraid you'll have to keep working out those gaps. An empty space in the order list will typically be 16 beats of music (a setting will eventually be added to set this manually), but you could create an empty pattern of 16 rows (4 beats, or one bar in 4/4) and use that in the order list to re-sync your music when you insert a bar in the host.

All the best,
Chris

dizzib
Posted 2007-06-11 7:19 PM (#13917 - in reply to #13567)
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Play patterns with midi notes

New user

+1

I've just started using reViSiT with Ableton Live and I'd love to be able to trigger patterns via midi in Live clips. You could define 2 modes of operation: (1) HOLD where the current pattern plays to the end before switching, and (2) FREE where the current pattern changes as soon as the midi note arrives. Ok I come clean, I nicked this idea from the Sonicbytes ERA2 step sequencer ;-) But the concept of playing multiple patterns at once is incredible... either that or allow multi instances of reViSiT. I'm sure each would bring its own set of problems to solve and that we'd need to wait until at least v1.0, but believe me I would pay good money for this!

Cheers,
Andy.
lackluster
Posted 2007-07-12 12:17 PM (#13939 - in reply to #13917)
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Play patterns with midi notes

Regular

dizzib - 2007-06-11 9:19 PM

+1

I've just started using reViSiT with Ableton Live and I'd love to be able to trigger patterns via midi in Live clips. You could define 2 modes of operation: (1) HOLD where the current pattern plays to the end before switching, and (2) FREE where the current pattern changes as soon as the midi note arrives. Ok I come clean, I nicked this idea from the Sonicbytes ERA2 step sequencer ;-) But the concept of playing multiple patterns at once is incredible... either that or allow multi instances of reViSiT. I'm sure each would bring its own set of problems to solve and that we'd need to wait until at least v1.0, but believe me I would pay good money for this!

if my machine could handle it i would be very, very interested in being able to play diskwritten .wav loops of a .it module, and then also separate bits of it via revisit by toggling a note. that would be great.
but of course before that, id have to have purchased a revisit version which had at least 4 virtual stereo outs that i could plug into ableton live, or better yet, logic.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)