Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sonar 5 keyboard issues
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

ellipticalorbit
Posted 2006-03-23 9:15 AM (#13585)
Subject: Sonar 5 keyboard issues

New user

Hi

I've been using ReViSiT for drum tracks in Sonar5, using purely MIDI, through a loopback device. There is a bit of oddness in that when revisit traps a key in manual mode, Sonar processes it as well. This can be quite disturbing when Sonar starts performing associated actions when really all I want is for revisit to respond. In not manual mode, the problem is that revisit doesn't process the keys at all. Is this a setting I should change, or is it some Sonar5 weirdness?

I also wanted to know how the VST Host MIDI out works. For instance, if I wanted to push the MIDI out from revisit into a DXi or VSTi within Sonar, would this be possible without a loopback device, using that VST Host MIDI out instead?

Thanks for this, it is a truly lovely piece of software. I'd been using ZTracker, which is like a MIDI only IT2, but the syncing puts this way way way ahead. I haven't yet managed to switch my mind around to the dynamism this allows, but once my head starts thinking using this new tool, it's gonna make some great new music with your help.

Thanks,
Resonance.ellipticalorbit@gmail.com)
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2006-03-23 7:06 PM (#13586 - in reply to #13585)

Developer

Hi Resonance,

Re: Keyboard problems in Sonar.
Unfortunately, Sonar has to use some kind of  VST adapter to get VST plug-ins to work, and this can create a whole load of headaches - not least with keyboard handling. It seems strange that manual mode still manages to get through to the host - reViSiT effectively steals it from the message queue and doesn't put it back; so something else must be "borrowing" it before reViSiT has even had a chance to get hold of it. Sadly, there's likely nothing reViSiT can do about this criminal behaviour.
   When not using Manual Mode, however, you might have more luck - but it's imperative that focus rests with the reViSiT editor window (the seperate window containing the pattern editor) before you try to use the keyboard. This window should be seperate from any host and able handle it's own keyboard input, whereas the toolbar still essentially belongs to the host. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like the aforementioned "borrowing" is once again causing a problem. You might try swapping you VST adapter - if you're using Cakewalk's, try DirectiXer, and vice versa.

Re: VST Host MIDI
The "Send to VST Host" option, as you have guessed, tries to pass MIDI direct to the host, where it can decide where and how to route it. It is heavily dependent on the host - if the host isn't listening for MIDI messages, nothing will happen. It is part of the official VST specification, so any VST host should oblige, but sadly a number simply can't be bothered, and I wouldn't be at all surprise if Sonar was an example of this (technically, it's not a VST host at all). Again, changing the adapter might help.

It's great to hear from you, and keep the feedback coming, but it'd be even better to hear some reViSiTed music, when you've got some!

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-08-21 11:20 PM (#13587 - in reply to #13586)

Expert

so, we're months ahead now .. I'm actually about to try Sonar 5, as cubase and multiple instances of halion together are a worthless piece o' ****, it's truly shameful! Halion setups aren't saved in the cpr files, recently I couldn't even add a new instance of halion, export audio doesn't work with more than 10 halions etc. etc. At this moment of writing I've spent 3 hours trying to load back my swashbuckling pirate orchestral setup (and yes, it sounds more authentic than PotC!), only to find out that, as per usual, random Halions are without loaded bank again, and when I finally load the last bank the whole thing crashes. Do realise that loading all these instances takes over 25 minutes on my new breeze-PC. So, everytime something fails ... .. yep..

So, I'm about to find out whether Sonar5 and multiple instances of halion is a better idea.

Is it however safe to use Sonar 5 atm, with regards to the origins of this thread?

edit: just for the fun of it I checked the complete halion forum on cubase.net, seems that bugs are common practice at Steinberg and no-one bothers to fix things ... way to go for customer support! Oh, and seriously, I spent about four hours this night to get my pirate setup loaded, no matter what, I didn't succeed! Eventually I couldn't even load one of my fxp's containing instruments, in a FRESH new project file, on a PC only 1.5 week old, without anything on it but audio stuff.
And yes, all this truly p*sses me off! How dare they ask $ for it? It's hardly worth leeching as warez even! IT2 was rocksolid, never bugged (final version), never failed. Such a disgrace to programming and software-design all this Steinway-crap is. *argh* ok, must sleep now.. :P

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
chrisnash
Posted 2006-08-22 5:02 PM (#13588 - in reply to #13587)

Developer

I haven't tested Sonar recently. The current non-Manual mode keyboard setup in reViSiT should work for all hosts though. I would imagine that it works properly with at least one of the DX/VST adapters available (DirectIxer / Cakewalk VST Adapter).

Chris

PS: Make sure you have a poke around Steinberg's FTP server - I've found they quite often issue updates without telling people about them. Look for updates for Halion and Cubase. In general, though, they are quite shocking when it comes to patching bugs.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)