Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

some feat.requests
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-04-13 3:54 PM (#13595)
Subject: some feat.requests

Expert

note that I haven't tried the newest version yet, tho according to the release notes there's not much new, at least not the stuff mentioned here:

- doublescale ReViSiT
Really, these small chars are hurting my eyes Keep in mind that IT2 ran fullscreen with, dunno, about 40 textlines max, or whatever size DOS has.. You don't even have to design a new font if that's what concerns you, I'll happily look at this font, scaled *2, even without interpolation if it must.

- make an extra column for bankswitch, so I could change the bank at any step I want
Switching to another instrument with another bank won't do. I'm talking at least 30 banks per instrument orso :P Only LSB bank will do I think.
*note* if you can't/won't change the channel-structure then what about this: hardlink the instrument to a channel, and use the current instrument channel for LSB bank change..!

- make a button on that reViSiT 'floating bar' that repositions the pattern editor somewhere at the top of the screen.

- make shortcuts or buttons that setup the pattern editor for exactly 32 rows and 5 channels

- give names to channels

- *IT2-freak alert* the ctrl-j formula isn't correct. at 71% it should do: 64 45 31 22 15 10 etc. the '31' is a '32' in revisit.. :P (yea I'm *very* used to these numbers, screamtracker 3 legacy )

- also: ctrl-j currently requires you to type '071' of you want '71' even if '071' is displayed well! .. bit sucky :P

- the statusinfo on top of the pattern (pattern, row, octave, res etc. etc.) is nearly unreadable in this colorscheme, use the same font as the patterndata, in black, if you keep the background cyan.

- add support of the 'n' key in the order list to quickly add the next pattern according to the previous one

- alt F10 should directly solo the current channel, like IT2 (right now it simply unmutes a channel.)

- I also deeply miss alt-Y for block-swap..

All these small hotkeys should be a cookie to include, I made 2 it2 pattern editor clones myself in blitzbasic.. never worked in the end.. only the visual interface.. however, I usually had all the hotkeys implemented in one or two afternoons..

Sayuhm, how do I change the tempo??

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2006-04-16 3:27 PM (#13596 - in reply to #13595)

Expert

After creating some instruments in vsampler3 (what a tiresome job it is, way too much of a mouse-interface!) I finally tried to create some patterns..

- again, important IT2 keys missing, it should really take only a day or 2 orso to fully implement *all* IT2-keys
- alt-o actually does something in my Host (sx3) so somehow revisit should have exclusive rights to all the keyboard-events
- atm it sucks that F5 doesn't trigger the host to play, it only triggers revisit to play, and since revisit doesn't have tempo commands I can't have tempo-changes. If I want tempochanges I need to press play in the host, this slow process defeats the whole advantage of a tracker..
- why did you change the alt-d block select to start with the MINOR highlight? it should be the MAJOR highlight..
- alt left/right does nothing, it should jump to the pre/next track and the same column
- it's desperately required to use channel-volume for the midi out stuff, if I want an instrument to be less loud I *must* use the channel-volume, while in IT2 I didn't bother about the channel-volume and used the global channelvolume to put things less loud. Less editing = better, more volume-changes = more editing .. = bad.
- same story, but now for the global volume in an instrument-definition. I figure it currently only works for a real revisit instrument, rather than midi-out.. well, if possible it should work for midi-out as well.. just use all these factors in a formula to calc the midi volume, based on local channel volume, global channel volume and instrument-volume ..

more later! (and please reply :P )

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
chrisnash
Posted 2006-04-17 2:16 AM (#13597 - in reply to #13596)

Developer

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for your feedback. Some of your requests have cropped up before on this forum, at which point I've given you the appropriate link - but it might be a good idea to have a browse around and look at the FAQ (http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/faq.htm). Some are features that exclusively appeal to you, and wouldn't be as much use to others. Other requests seem to make the assumption that reViSiT has no other goal than to ape Impulse Tracker 2, which isn't correct. reViSiT aims to be the best interface, and IT2 was simply taken as a good starting point, the bits of IT2 I don't find sufficiently 'ergonomic' or can't make 'intuitive' will be replaced.

- doublescale ReViSiT / larger fonts
See http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=606458&CategoryID=361689&startcat=1&ThreadID=2144724. In the meantime, you could run at a lower screen resolution, if you're really suffering. This would work particularly well, if you have multi-monitors - put the host on one screen and the reViSiT window on the other at whatever resolution suits you.

- make an extra column for bankswitch, so I could change the bank at any step I want. Switching to another instrument with another bank won't do. I'm talking at least 30 banks per instrument orso :P Only LSB bank will do I think. *note* if you can't/won't change the channel-structure then what about this: hardlink the instrument to a channel, and use the current instrument channel for LSB bank change..!

I see no call for either feature, and I certainly don't think it's worth cluttering up the pattern editor with. Changing MIDI bank invariably changes the MIDI instrument (or voice), so you should expect to change the reViSiT instrument at the same time. It's logical. So, "switching to another instrument will do". Perhaps if you could explain why you're using 30 banks an instrument? In the meantime, why not use MIDI Effects (in Instrument List --> Pitch/MIDI --> MIDI Settings), to set up an LSB Bank effect (CC#32)? I haven't tried it, but it might work. Let me know.

- make a button on that reViSiT 'floating bar' that repositions the pattern editor somewhere at the top of the screen.

Why? Few other programs need such a feature, why reViSiT? Can't you make do with the maximise button?

- make shortcuts or buttons that setup the pattern editor for exactly 32 rows and 5 channels

Why? I assume you're talking about the viewport, rather than the pattern itself. Why try to perpetuate the limits of IT2?

- give names to channels

Actually already planned, but it will be a post v1.0 addition.

- *IT2-freak alert* the ctrl-j formula isn't correct. at 71% it should do: 64 45 31 22 15 10 etc. the '31' is a '32' in revisit.. :P

This is probably because reViSiT is more correct than IT2 - which would truncated instead of rounding numbers  (e.g. round 31.7 to 31, rather than 32). Again, there is no plan to reproduce the errors of the past.

- also: ctrl-j currently requires you to type '071' of you want '71' even if '071' is displayed well! .. bit sucky :P

This will be addressed in the next release. I prefer the term 'bug', rather than "a bit sucky".

- the statusinfo on top of the pattern (pattern, row, octave, res etc. etc.) is nearly unreadable in this colorscheme, use the same font as the patterndata, in black, if you keep the background cyan

All I can say is that if you think the background is cyan, then the problem is your monitor, not the colour scheme.  The font (and size) is the same as that used in many, many VST plug-ins. These readouts are not critical, and do not warrant the extra space the larger font would require.

- add support of the 'n' key in the order list to quickly add the next pattern according to the previous one

Hmm, I thought I had, but you're right - it's not there. I'll try to add it for the next release.

- alt F10 should directly solo the current channel, like IT2 (right now it simply unmutes a channel.)

This is working fine in reViSiT - Alt-F10 solo/unsolos, Alt-F9 mutes/unmutes. Check your findings.

- I also deeply miss alt-Y for block-swap..

I should be able to add that.

Sayuhm, how do I change the tempo??

You can't. The concept of reViSiT revolves around the host controlling the tempo (largely because plug-ins aren't allowed to). This is so that it is easy for the user to see how the tracker is sync'd to the sequencer (or whatever the host is). reViSiT is designed principally so that you can track and sequence at the same time, not just so that your old IT files sound the same.

- again, important IT2 keys missing, it should really take only a day or 2 orso to fully implement *all* IT2-keys

I don't think one should draw comparisons between BlitzBasic and the C++ / VST architecture. I don't see people having to code their own keyboard handler's from the ground up in BlitzBasic - and 4 keyboard handlers have been written during reViSiT's history. Drawing the interface is also not as simple as 'draw a line here', 'write some text here' - I had to write the graphics code from the pixel up - and that includes the algorithm and bit patterns to draw the characters themselves. Besides, it's not as though IT2 keys are the only thing on my 'to do' list, so I think 2 days is a little wide of the mark. I am interested to hear about IT2 keys that are not supported, but will add them as I see fit.

- alt-o actually does something in my Host (sx3) so somehow revisit should have exclusive rights to all the keyboard-events

Cubase SX3 is the primary test platform for reViSiT, and there are very few problems. Keyboard support has been one of the problems with developing reViSiT, since - though it is officially 'supported' by the VST plug-in spec - almost no host actually handles it reliably - not even Steinberg's. Considerable work as been expended to combat this problem. I've got it so that, in most hosts (SX3 included), if you ensure the Pattern Editor window is selected, that should be enough to ensure reViSiT gets the keyboard messages. If that still doesn't work, you're probably doing something wrong, but you might resort to "Manual" mode. This topic has been discussed countless times before, and shouldn't be hard to find on the forum, or the readme.txt, or the FAQ: http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/faq.htm#keyboard.

- atm it sucks that F5 doesn't trigger the host to play, it only triggers revisit to play, and since revisit doesn't have tempo commands I can't have tempo-changes. If I want tempochanges I need to press play in the host, this slow process defeats the whole advantage of a tracker..

This is unavoidable. VST plug-ins cannot control their host's tempo - it is not in the VST specification. In SX3, moving the song position marker to the appropriate place will set the appropriate tempo in reViSiT as well, to help you work on that particular part with F6 and F7. Please be careful with sweeping generalisations - it does not defeat the "whole advantage of a tracker". It's a minor inconvenience at worst and only to a minor number of people who use tempo changes.

- why did you change the alt-d block select to start with the MINOR highlight? it should be the MAJOR highlight..

It was requested, and I agreed with the decision - it's more useful/flexible. Selecting MAJOR highlight, makes the composer think in terms of bars, rather than beats, and typesets tracked music. IT2 isn't gospel, and reViSiT isn't IT2.

- alt left/right does nothing, it should jump to the pre/next track and the same column

This will be added.

- it's desperately required to use channel-volume for the midi out stuff, if I want an instrument to be less loud I *must* use the channel-volume, while in IT2 I didn't bother about the channel-volume and used the global channelvolume to put things less loud. Less editing = better, more volume-changes = more editing .. = bad.

Sorry, I don't follow, could you try a slightly more verbose explanation? What are you referring to with "channel-volume" and "global channelvolume" exactly?

- same story, but now for the global volume in an instrument-definition. I figure it currently only works for a real revisit instrument, rather than midi-out.. well, if possible it should work for midi-out as well..

MIDI note volumes cannot be controlled independently. Outside of the trigger of a MIDI note (note velocity), a note's volume cannot be changed without affecting all the other notes playing on that MIDI channel. So having the same MIDI instrument playing on two different tracker channels which have different channel volumes would create a conflict - one tries setting the MIDI channel volume to X and, at the same time, the other to Y. IT2's method was far from perfect, and several different MIDI volume architectures were tried in reViSiT before settling on the current one as the best compromise. Ultimately, though, the problem is a failing of the aging MIDI specification.

just use all these factors in a formula to calc the midi volume, based on local channel volume, global channel volume and instrument-volume ..

It's a good theory, but as I said, it doesn't work.

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-04-20 9:00 PM (#13598 - in reply to #13597)

Expert

Some are features that exclusively appeal to you, and wouldn't be as much use to others.

Well, you never know that. Wouldn't it be the best to have such things customizable then?

the bits of IT2 I don't find sufficiently 'ergonomic' or can't make 'intuitive' will be replaced.

So, that would only 'appeal to you' eh, perhaps those bits would be useful to others ^_^

nevermind anyway :P

on backswitching:
I see no call for either feature, and I certainly don't think it's worth cluttering up the pattern editor with. Changing MIDI bank invariably changes the MIDI instrument (or voice), so you should expect to change the reViSiT instrument at the same time. It's logical. So, "switching to another instrument will do". Perhaps if you could explain why you're using 30 banks an instrument? In the meantime, why not use MIDI Effects (in Instrument List --> Pitch/MIDI --> MIDI Settings), to set up an LSB Bank effect (CC#32)? I haven't tried it, but it might work. Let me know.

What's wrong with 30++ banks per instrument? Ever heard of articulation, variations, playstyles etc.? And ok, I could program them into vsampler3, but since that has an arcane mouse-interface and since that woule be less flex anyway, I'd prefer to load my voices into banks and use revisit to switch banks (read: switch articulations) Haven't tried the bankswitch command yet, see below.

Why? Few other programs need such a feature, why reViSiT? Can't you make do with the maximise button?
Sometimes the revisit window was completely lost .. it was somewhere.. but where? Might have been a bug, dunno. So, since that floating revisit bar is always present, I'd thought about using a resetbutton to reposition the revisit window again, in case it was lost.

ctrl-j
This will be addressed in the next release. I prefer the term 'bug', rather than "a bit sucky".
Ok, don't forget to include the ctrl-double-j feature to apply the effect, works faster than having to press [enter]. Oh, and don't mind my lang. There're 2 things that trigger my nerves and turn me into a loose projectile: 1) MIDI (in a negative way) and 2) trackertalk (in a positive way).

cyan
All I can say is that if you think the background is cyan, then the problem is your monitor, not the colour scheme. The font (and size) is the same as that used in many, many VST plug-ins. These readouts are not critical, and do not warrant the extra space the larger font would require.

cyan.. cyan.. lightblue whatever :P Well, critical.. it contains octave, position etc.. quite essentials. Can you at least make the font black then?? (I've a 17" TFT here, the pixels are as sharp as a razor, but that doesn't mean white on is a relaxed combi..)

This is working fine in reViSiT - Alt-F10 solo/unsolos, Alt-F9 mutes/unmutes. Check your findings.
My findings are fine, it isn't like IT2:
go to channel 01, press alt-F10
now go to channel 02 and press alt-F10
what happens is that you now have 2 solo'ed channels, whereas in IT2 only channel 02 would be solo. Which is extremely handy as solo'ing a single channel is one of the most used things in IT2 and certainly marks one of the differences beteen trackers and non-trackers.

]It was requested, and I agreed with the decision - it's more useful/flexible. Selecting MAJOR highlight, makes the composer think in terms of bars, rather than beats, and typesets tracked music. IT2 isn't gospel, and reViSiT isn't IT2.

Can it be customized? I'm really no standard trackinghippie orso, I never think so tightly in terms of bars (unless it's required for typical popmusic) but even then, I'd never rely on the blocksize. I mainly use it as block-begin as alt-b is at an unergonomic place. So, yes, I use it to select larger chunks than just one beat, but never to create those boring tracker-stereotype copies.

Sorry, I don't follow, could you try a slightly more verbose explanation? What are you referring to with "channel-volume" and "global channelvolume" exactly?
uhm... ok, it's basically like IT2 works with its own sampleplayer, there's
samplevolume (f3, global volume)
instrumentvolume (f4, volume)
channelvolume (f1/f11)
channelcell volume (the content from the volume column)
And together they make up the final volume to be used, whereas curretnly when using midi-out there's just the channelcell volume that counts. This renders the channelvolume and instrumentvolume rather useless, while they could be so useful.
So, I'm not talking about ctrl 7 (midichannel volume iirc), just talking about the note-on velocity. As far as I can see, this should have no issues for any note on that channel.

Furthermore: I think I'll try the previous beta again, current one seems to have a major bug when controlling VSTi's.. in the instrument screen I seem to be able to play a VSTi instrument well, it also works once orso in the pattern-editor, but then it doesn't react to note-off's anymore (have to use the panic button in vsampler to make it shutup) and a note-on actually makes things silent, when using a note-off the whole thing comes at volume again (so you hear the tails of all the instruments you triggered).. uhm.. hope that all makes a bit sense.
{update} previous release also bugs (slightly different) here! F8 as note-off on all channels doesn't seem to work. Odd, on my notebook it all went quite well, even made a 2-pattern testtune orso. Sofar I haven't been able to do the same on my mainPC, of which the config is: XPsp2, Terratec 7.1 space, cub.sx3, asio4all.

Tried this bug with vsampler3 and fm7.. but the same issue, so it must be cub or rev .. or something else :P

{edit} [tab] to browse through your instrument settings could be adjusted a bit, I think it's handier/faster to [tab] to a certain 'group' in a tab, rather than to each field. The envelope-loop editors are such an example. So, let's say 3..5 times [tab]'ing on a tab and the rest is done with cursors.

chrisnash
Posted 2006-04-23 10:58 PM (#13599 - in reply to #13598)

Developer

>> Some are features that exclusively appeal to you, and wouldn't be as much use to others.
> Well, you never know that.

No, but I can be pretty certain, and I think my background qualifies me to make those decisions.

> Wouldn't it be the best to have such things customizable then?

Not always. I already have endless ideas for reViSiT and only finite time. I very much welcome suggestions for changes and new features, and all are given serious consideration - a good amount of my to-do list comes from feedback. However, if a suggestion doesn't gel with the reViSiT idiom and can't be adapted to it, it won't make the program. If I actually consider a process to be overcomplicated, too involved, not intuitive enough or too inflexible, I will not even want to add it as an option.

>> the bits of IT2 I don't find sufficiently 'ergonomic' or can't make 'intuitive' will be replaced.
> So, that would only 'appeal to you' eh, perhaps those bits would be useful to others ^_^

'Ergonomics' are principally dictated by physiology, so unless you have a different number of arms or heads than me, I'm probably as much as good a benchmark as anybody. And if something is 'intuitive', it means that the user should be able to learn and use the software using little more than common sense. Since I have written the software from the ground up, there's not much call for me to make it easier for myself to learn - so I don't see how trying to make it so for others is something that will "only appeal to me"!

Obviously, we are both people who have seen the advantages of the tracking method (as pioneered by IT2) and we both recognise the need to see it endure. But I also see the need to make it more accessible - without compromising the efficiency and power of the interface; improving it where possible.

> What's wrong with 30++ banks per instrument? Ever heard of articulation, variations, playstyles etc.?

Yes, I have. I frequently write for orchestras or Wagnerian proportions, and have of course used a variety of different articulations, ornamentations, etc. I have not, however, ever relied on bank switching to acheive this. I also know a considerable number of other composers who don't either.

> And ok, I could program them into vsampler3, but since that has an arcane mouse-interface and
> since that woule be less flex anyway, I'd prefer to load my voices into banks and use revisit to switch
> banks (read: switch articulations)

It sounds very much like you want me (and reViSiT) to account for the failings in your sampler's interface. reViSiT is a primarily composing tool, not a software sampler - one is only included for backwards compatibility, basic usage and the advantages afforded for loop splicing and munging, etc.

There is no real standardisation for bank usage or articulation switching, and no common practise - you use different banks, others use different voices, some use more complicated sysex routines. reViSiT thus supports the fundamentals of MIDI (and a little extra), but will not cater for the myriad of different ways people use it - unless one stands at as the norm.

> Haven't tried the bankswitch command yet, see below.

I would have thought a bank switch effect would give you all the functionality you're looking for, and since this is part of reViSiT's current spec, I'm willing to put the time in to make sure it works properly, so do let me know how you get on. In the future, there will be multiple effect columns, and thus this is almost akin to your own bank switch column.

>> Why? Few other programs need such a feature, why reViSiT? Can't you make do with the maximise button?
> Sometimes the revisit window was completely lost .. it was somewhere.. but where?
> Might have been a bug, dunno. So, since that floating revisit bar is always present, I'd
> thought about using a resetbutton to reposition the revisit window again, in case it was lost.

Okay, it sounds like you're talking about an bringing reViSiT to the foreground, rather than moving the window to the top (e.g. upper half) of the screen, which what it sounded like you were saying. If that's the case, there's good news:

* The "reViSiT Window" (pattern editor, not toolbar), should have it's own separate entry in the Windows task bar. Clicking it will bring it to the foreground.
* This window also has an "Always On Top" feature, toggled using the small button with the lock on it, left of the minimise button (or Ctrl-Alt-T).
* If you're using Manual Keyboard mode, you can also press Ctrl-Alt-R at any stage in the host application and get reViSiT to come to the fore.
* Pressing any of the buttons on the toolbar window should bring the reViSiT Window to fore as well (unless you are closing the window, of course!).

> Ok, don't forget to include the ctrl-double-j feature to apply the effect, works faster than having to press [enter].

Alt-J brings up the "Volume Amplification" window. The "Apply Effect" (without dialog) functionality you speak of is Ctrl-J. In the next release, you will also not have to enter the leading 0's, for entries shorter than 3 digits.

> Well, critical.. it contains octave, position etc.. quite essentials. Can you at least make the font black then??
> (I've a 17" TFT here, the pixels are as sharp as a razor, but that doesn't mean white on
> <insert-lightblue'ish-color> is a relaxed combi..)

I will look into making the white text black and the black text white, but I give no guarantees. From my perspective, the data is a LONG way from being hard to read. Is there anybody else out there who has an opinion...?

>> This is working fine in reViSiT - Alt-F10 solo/unsolos, Alt-F9 mutes/unmutes. Check your findings.
> My findings are fine, it isn't like IT2: go to channel 01, press alt-F10, now go to channel 02 and press alt-F10
> what happens is that you now have 2 solo'ed channels, whereas in IT2 only channel 02 would be solo. Which
> is extremely handy as solo'ing a single channel is one of the most used > things in IT2 and certainly marks
> one of the differences beteen trackers and non-trackers.

No, you're right, it's not 1:1 IT2, but it was by design. The solo button in a number of hosts works as it does in reViSiT, so I thought it was sensible to harmonise the two practices. And one could still get the functionality you speak of by pressing Alt-F10 three times. I have, however, changed this to function as you say, since it is just as easy (and perhaps a little more intuitive) for people to solo and then use Alt-F9 to unmute any companion solo channels.

> (Minor/Major block select) Can it be customized?

It's a possibility. Not a priority now, though. Currently, Alt-D will select a minor highlight, and then double the selection length each time. So, in 4/4 you could just press Alt-D three times to get the Major Highlight. This could be a problem in 3/4, though, since you wouldn't be able to get the bar length. I might set it up so that Alt-D once gives you the Minor (beat), twice gives you the major (bar) and subsequent hits then double the length. How does that sound?

> (Tracker Channel Vol / Inst Vol affecting MIDI Note-On Velocity)

You're right, MIDI velocity is unaffected by anything other than the volume entry of the note-on cell. However, I believe this was also true of IT2. Volume entries WITH the note-on were MIDI Velocity, and those after the note-on were MIDI Channel Volume. I remember thinking long about this when I implemented the MIDI code, but I will just 'revisit' that decision and make sure I still think reViSiT's using the best solution.

> Furthermore: I think I'll try the previous beta again, current one seems to have a major bug when
> controlling VSTi's.. in the instrument screen I seem to be able to play a VSTi instrument well, it
> also works once orso in the pattern-editor, but then it doesn't react to note-off's anymore (have
> to use the panic button in vsampler to make it shutup) and a note-on actually makes things silent,
> when using a note-off the whole thing comes at volume again (so you hear the tails of all the
> instruments you triggered).. uhm.. hope that all makes a bit sense.

I've had reports of similar problems, and the solution seems to be setting the MIDI Delay to 0 (zero) in the Preferences (F12) screen. Let me know if this works.

> {edit} [tab] to browse through your instrument settings could be adjusted a bit, I think it's
> handier/faster to [tab] to a certain 'group' in a tab, rather than to each field. The envelope-loop
> editors are such an example. So, let's say 3..5 times [tab]'ing on a tab and the rest is done with cursors.

You might think about phrasing that as a request/suggestion. However, I can see the merit of making the envelope/loop info into a single tab stop.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-04-24 12:23 AM (#13600 - in reply to #13599)

Expert

I have not, however, ever relied on bank switching to acheive this. I also know a considerable number of other composers who don't either.

The bankswitch was a mere sugestion on how to access all these variations (which to me still looks farily logical), the 16channel/128voice MIDI limit isn't much of help here, don't you think? How would you access all these variations then?

It sounds very much like you want me (and reViSiT) to account for the failings in your sampler's interface.

ok, I can live with that.. but can you then point me to the ultimatesampler(tm) with the ultimate keyboard- & nonmouse-interface (basically everything good about tracking mentioned in your thesis (excellent read btw)) and RAM&Disc-streaming and all the editable stuff like zones, keyswitches, DSP etc. etc.? I'll switch at once!

There is no real standardisation for bank usage or articulation switching, and no common practise - you use different banks, others use different voices, some use more complicated sysex routines. reViSiT thus supports the fundamentals of MIDI (and a little extra), but will not cater for the myriad of different ways people use it - unless one stands at as the norm.

The problem with different voices is that 128 isn't much if you have a lot of instruments each with a lot of variations/styles, therefor I was hinting towards banks, since that gives you 128x128=16384 voices. Anyway, as mentioned above: a sampler with a faster userinterface to create complex zones/keyswitching will do, vsampler3 is just what we would call the 'fasttracker' under the trackers, I guess..

Okay, it sounds like you're talking about an bringing reViSiT to the foreground, rather than moving the window to the top (e.g. upper half) of the screen, which what it sounded like you were saying. If that's the case, there's good news:
{those 4 points}
Not sure if we're on the same line, perhaps we are.. but dunno. The idea I had with that 'bug' was that the window *actually was* on the screen, but somehow at an x or y coord where the mouse couldn't come orso. Dunno about 'bringing it to the front'.. would that also reset its coordinates to some visual part of the screen? Or would that only toggle between show/hide but then offscreen?

I will look into making the white text black and the black text white, but I give no guarantees.
LOL, what's up with the white again then?? :P Wouldn't simply black and dark/full-blue be a solution? As long as it is dark..

I might set it up so that Alt-D once gives you the Minor (beat), twice gives you the major (bar) and subsequent hits then double the length. How does that sound?

Could be in idea .. while I still think *I*'d never use alt-d for a single beat (for I usually work forwards within a pattern, and selecting a whole bar for a few notes isn't a problem since there's nothing to overwrite and nothing in the back of the block to copy).. anyway, there's prolly no way this would fully change in revisit.. other than having it an option. :P

I've had reports of similar problems, and the solution seems to be setting the MIDI Delay to 0 (zero) in the Preferences (F12) screen. Let me know if this works.
Doesn't work, too bad. (The annoying part is that it works ok on my 15" notebook and not on my 17" desktop, and sofar I haven't been running warm to compose/track/try a lot on that notebook because of all these crawling ants, called notes. I estimated (by measuring with my hand at armlength) that the revisit window, when using my notebook and an usb keyboard, is a quarter of my 17" screen ^_^)

btw, ever thought about asking ppl whether they'd still use alt f1-f8 to toggle channels 01..08 ? It's 8-channel legacy from yesteryear I figure.. does anyone use it? Even in IT2 it was mainly unused I'd hope. Perhaps it's an idea to ditch this functionality and use it for something else?

Anonymous
Posted 2006-04-25 12:41 PM (#13601 - in reply to #13600)

keep alt-f1 to alt-f8 as it is.
everyone uses it, limited only to you, tbl-member.

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-04-25 3:31 PM (#13602 - in reply to #13601)

Expert

so, then I ask: why use f1..f8 for the first 8 channels and f9..f10 for the rest? Why not f9..f10 for all? One handmovement for the same functionality seems to make more sense to me than 10 different handmovements for the same functionality on specific channels-only.

Anyway, it's just an open question.. no more no less..

chrisnash
Posted 2006-04-25 3:42 PM (#13603 - in reply to #13602)

Developer

I believe, tor those who only use the first 8 channels anyway, the F1-F8 keys could be very useful. And it's not just people who are writing oldskool 4 or 8 track music, but also those who are only using reViSiT for a part of their piece. For example, those who use reViSiT for drums and the rest of Cubase for melody and harmony - you'll rarely use more than 8 tracks then.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-02 3:46 PM (#13604 - in reply to #13603)

Expert

Is there any chance this will be fixed soon (it doesn't help here!)? I'm -as we speak- doing major backups of my system in order to fully abbandon 98se (which I kept for it2) to move towards NTFS.., it's kinda a risk as I *must* be able to rely on revisit then. My notebook is atm the only way to use revisit, but it's far from comfortable..

chrisnash
Posted 2006-05-03 7:00 PM (#13605 - in reply to #13604)

Developer

Hi Maarten,

The MIDI problems are my top priority at the moment, but tracking the problem down is proving elusive. Might have a chance this Sunday to put some time to the problem.

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-03 9:35 PM (#13606 - in reply to #13605)

Expert

ok, great.

Meanwhile I did some more testing, since I finally made some basic-instruments in vsampler3 to use (handmade layered sounds, keytriggers for zone-changes, velocity-switching to use different zones etc.) and it's going better. Still I wonder if it's technically possible to run for example 2 instances of vsampler3 to somehow have 32 midichannels and have 1 revisit instance with 32 midichannels (or any number for that matter)? The limit of '16' is MIDI legacy, but it's a stupid one.. it's by far not enough for a decent/big orchestral setup with some headroom for synths etc. That's why I'm atm creating layered sounds and try find alternative solutions to control everything.. it all takes ages of time.. *sigh*. Made a single pattern today with a Zimmer'esque soundalike, using only 6 midichannels.. sounds quite meaty/realistic. ^_^ Might put it online one of these days to showcase it!

chrisnash
Posted 2006-05-05 1:21 PM (#13607 - in reply to #13606)

Developer

http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/faq.htm#midi
CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-06 8:02 PM (#13608 - in reply to #13607)

Expert

Tried loopbe1, but as far as I can see this adds 1 midi-device, right? So, it adds 16 channels, right? Is it possible to run more than one loopbe1, to have more mididevices (and thus midichannels)? I haven't found out if and how this would be possible.
Anyway, the single loopbe1 instance seems to work, haven't tried it to the max, but 2 vsampler3's both with their own instrument at channel 1 gave me 2 different sounds in revisit, so there's at least 32 channels already..

chrisnash
Posted 2006-05-08 1:00 PM (#13609 - in reply to #13608)

Developer

Yes, it looks like LoopBe1 is only one virtual MIDI port. I don't know if perhaps you can install a second copy. However, there is always LoopBe30 - 30 Virtual MIDI ports. It, however, is not free - but it's also not going to break the bank (~?15)!

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-16 12:15 AM (#13610 - in reply to #13609)

Expert

(bought loopbe30 meanwhile)

Perhaps an odd question, but I'm considering a new desktop, something powerful, on my sempron3000+ 512mb notebook the real heavy orchestrations are breaking the bank.. Does revisit (and cubase for that matter) run on an athlon64 x2, with 4GB RAM and 64bit XP? And what about the current VST plugins?

chrisnash
Posted 2006-05-16 1:33 AM (#13611 - in reply to #13610)

Developer

Yes, they will run, but you will only experience benefit from 64-bit processing in certain circumstances. For VST plug-ins to get the full benefit, you need: a 64-bit CPU, a 64-bit OS, a 64-bit Host, a 64-bit plug-in standard, and a 64-bit plug-in...

Cubase, as a host, has been updated to support 64-bit.

The VST spec has recently updated to v2.4, adding support for 64-bit processing. reViSiT is currently built on VST 2.3 (32-bit), and I'm currently wary about switching to the new codebase. First of all, it's a lot of work, as some of the reViSiT code might need updating. Secondly, I need to be absolutely sure that VST 2.4 plug-ins can run perfectly in VST 2.3 hosts (since some other things have changed too). For example, if they can't, reViSiT will lose all it's Logic 5 users.

Even if reViSiT does switch to v2.4, it will not herald an automatic performance boost, as reViSiT's code isn't yet written to support a 64-bit architecture. It will have to be coded separately.

However, even if reViSiT stays with 32-bit/VST 2.3 for a while, you will still be able to benefit from other plug-ins that have 64-bit optimisations (reducing system overhead). They might be a little thin on the ground right now (it has only been possible to write 64-bit VST plug-ins since late January, when the SDK was released), but they should be forthcoming. Also, it has always been possible for plug-ins to use 64-bit variables internally (even on 32-bit processors) - it is only the values passed to and from the host that were fixed at 32-bits. So, reViSiT already uses 64-bit precision (that's foresight for you), so it is possible that even the current reViSIT could show a performance boost.

So, I wouldn't be worried about moving to 64-bits. Personally, I'd favour Intel over AMD, but that's just my preference. I'm waiting for a desktop Yonah option - but then I'm intolerant of ANY noise.

Hope this helps,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-17 9:40 PM (#13612 - in reply to #13611)

Expert

New list, some of 'em mentioned already, but mentioned again here. It's somewhat based on a few good days of working with it. It all takes some time, as I have to re-design/create all my instruments again.. and that's quite a lot. :P

* non-64 pattern-length bugs obviously.. I can't even access a certain pattern anymore, num+/- goes from 00 01 03 04 .. it refuses to go to 02. :P .. oh, and now it does not play anymore .. I've seen it elsewhere on this page.. but.. ahwell: *bump*.

* Could there be some automation (a key?) in quickly setting-up instruments 01..n to programchange 00..n-1, [output] on, and midichannel (01..n-1) mod 16? To access my sounds in vsampler (or whatever plug for that matter) currently requires me to perform an arcane clicking/moving/typing carnaval on all thse instruments. I'm sure there are zillions of configs, so just to pick one scheme might be 'limited' in your pov, but I gather this particular setup is quite common. Saving a template won't really do.. you know how things work.. you start with some instruments, you already have some patterns, then you won't just trash it away in order to load a template..

* set patternlength to pattern x..y. IT function, missing in revisit. ctrl-F2 in IT. (I'll use it when variable pattern lengths aren't buggy anymore :P)

* having the possibility to play the selected sound on the (pc-)keyboard while changing the "Program No." bar in the MIDI output part of the instr.screen. All I see now is a number, and I must go back to the instrument-list to play. And that's just way too many tabs and cursors..
Perhaps this is an option:
- remember the position of the cursor in the instrument tab
- have a global key to quickly switch between instrument-list and instrument-tab (with the cursor-pos it just remembered)
This would allow to quickly make changes without all the tab'ing.

* insert/delete channels accross the whole tune. I usually group things together (strings, wood, brass, drums etc. etc.) and when I suddenly decide to have another instrument in some group I can't really insert it there as on that spot the new group begins.. like: strings on chn 01-05, wood on 07-12, brass on 14-18, if I want to insert another 2 woodwinds it's somewhat of a problem.. so I'd like to insert channels on that spot (at track 13).

* is it possible to have a background color per track? Would be a nice way to quickly identify an instrument, not a bad feature when your pattern sports 64 channels and when the display is rather small'ish yet. Don't worry, I wouldn't make those backgroundcolors bright pink orso.. just some very dark colors.. :P

* scroll-lock to follow a track was a very nice feature in IT.. you hear a bug while playing, press scroll-lock and you're at the right spot to bugfix it! Can we have it? :P

* regulary I encounter some weird issues with the MIDI output thing. I dunno who or what bugs, but when all the channels/programs are setup correctly I still hear the wrong instruments sometimes.. do you send out a program change upon changing it? Sometimes it really takes a few play/stops and some repairwork in vsampler to get the right instrument on the right channel.

* is it possible to also customize to swap F1 and F11? I'll be slapped severly for this prolly, but I always use the -k option at IT2.. that's ST3 legacy even. :P

* ctrl-ins, ctrl-del on a block in IT2 rotates the content of the blockdefinition wrap-around. I was in fact the one who suggested that to Jeffrey Lim in the first place.. so I'll do it again here. ^_^

Anyway, after a number of days things seem to get better, but unfortunately not up to vintage IT2 comfort yet. It's quite 'messy' (for lack of a better word) to have 3 seperate parts: a synth, a host and a tracker. It's mainly the lack of tempo-controls I miss in revisit, and the keyboard issues. In the ideal case revisit would be a host itself so there'd really only be revisit and some vst plugins, without the need of a 3rd-party host.. is that possible?
Actually it's all a bit like what you wrote in that thesis... it's either fast/efficient but perhaps a bit bitchy to learn, or it's a n00b-proof design and quite mouse'ish and slow. For the moment, vsampler and cubase (or usually any vst plug for that matter) sit in the safe/simple corner, while you try to interfere with a fast/key-design. Have you ever wondered whether that could be combined anyway? I regulary create my own gadgets in blitzmax, enhanced buttons, scrollbars, anything. Always with multiple ways to do things, lotsa hotkeys etc., just to make processes fast and efficient. Also extensive support for things like right mouse buttons, usually a not-so-frequently used button in windows (not to mention 'Mac' :P). There seems to be fixed set of design-rules everyone seems to follow, to make things easy for the n00bs. IT2 clearly never fell into that design-category, which is why it was actually fast in its operation. Anyway, my own apps would be (because I do my own controls) not according to international design-rules, but it would be fast nonetheless. A game-gfx designer (I do those things a lot) would in my case be a design-'instrument' rather than a typical tool.. one needs to learn it but can eventually use it with great speed.

ohwell enough blahblah'ing..

Anonymous
Posted 2006-05-18 12:41 PM (#13613 - in reply to #13612)

it'd be great to have scroll-lock. we all know we need it. including you, chris.

chrisnash
Posted 2006-05-18 4:59 PM (#13614 - in reply to #13613)

Developer

Hi Maarten,

* non-64 pattern-length bugs obviously.. I can't even access a certain pattern anymore, num+/- goes from 00 01 03 04 .. it refuses to go to 02. :P .. oh, and now it does not play anymore .. I've seen it elsewhere on this page.. but.. ahwell: *bump*.

Can you send me files where this is the case?

* Could there be some automation (a key?) in quickly setting-up instruments 01..n to programchange 00..n-1, [output] on, and midichannel (01..n-1) mod 16? To access my sounds in vsampler (or whatever plug for that matter) currently requires me to perform an arcane clicking/moving/typing carnaval on all thse instruments. I'm sure there are zillions of configs, so just to pick one scheme might be 'limited' in your pov, but I gather this particular setup is quite common. Saving a template won't really do.. you know how things work.. you start with some instruments, you already have some patterns, then you won't just trash it away in order to load a template..

I might make it so that, by default, the MIDI channel of an instrument is set to channel# mod 16, but I think the automation key would only be of limited use (and potentially confusing).

* set patternlength to pattern x..y. IT function, missing in revisit. ctrl-F2 in IT. (I'll use it when variable pattern lengths aren't buggy anymore :P)

Huh, never seen that feature before. Not exactly earth-shattering when you have Alt-Delete and variable pattern lengths. I'll add it at somepoint.

* having the possibility to play the selected sound on the (pc-)keyboard while changing the "Program No." bar in the MIDI output part of the instr.screen. All I see now is a number, and I must go back to the instrument-list to play. And that's just way too many tabs and cursors..
Perhaps this is an option:
- remember the position of the cursor in the instrument tab
- have a global key to quickly switch between instrument-list and instrument-tab (with the cursor-pos it just remembered)
This would allow to quickly make changes without all the tab'ing.

Both ideas are impractical. I might, however, be able to make it so that the keyboard-audition is available from the "Program No." field.

* insert/delete channels accross the whole tune. I usually group things together (strings, wood, brass, drums etc. etc.) and when I suddenly decide to have another instrument in some group I can't really insert it there as on that spot the new group begins.. like: strings on chn 01-05, wood on 07-12, brass on 14-18, if I want to insert another 2 woodwinds it's somewhat of a problem.. so I'd like to insert channels on that spot (at track 13).

I like the insert/delete channel idea, but prefer pattern-scope.

* is it possible to have a background color per track? Would be a nice way to quickly identify an instrument, not a bad feature when your pattern sports 64 channels and when the display is rather small'ish yet. Don't worry, I wouldn't make those backgroundcolors bright pink orso.. just some very dark colors.. :P

There are lots of pattern display enhancements planned - including channel renaming, channel header colours (not background) and even channel waveform previews (the background shows the audio waveform produced by the foreground row entries).

* scroll-lock to follow a track was a very nice feature in IT.. you hear a bug while playing, press scroll-lock and you're at the right spot to bugfix it! Can we have it? :P

This is also planned - previously discussed as "Pattern Follow".

* regulary I encounter some weird issues with the MIDI output thing. I dunno who or what bugs, but when all the channels/programs are setup correctly I still hear the wrong instruments sometimes.. do you send out a program change upon changing it? Sometimes it really takes a few play/stops and some repairwork in vsampler to get the right instrument on the right channel.

reViSiT does try to send program change message out whenever needed. I could do with more information about this problem - a sample file, or a procedure to reproduce the error.

* is it possible to also customize to swap F1 and F11? I'll be slapped severly for this prolly, but I always use the -k option at IT2.. that's ST3 legacy even. :P

No. F1 will be 'help', in keeping with convention. It will not be customisable. The days of ST3 are here ended.

* ctrl-ins, ctrl-del on a block in IT2 rotates the content of the blockdefinition wrap-around. I was in fact the one who suggested that to Jeffrey Lim in the first place.. so I'll do it again here. ^_^

Are you saying that it rotates the data within the block? For example, with a 4-row selection, Ctrl-Ins will change the row order to 4,1,2,3? My copy of IT2 does not do this.

Anyway, after a number of days things seem to get better, but unfortunately not up to vintage IT2 comfort yet. It's quite 'messy' (for lack of a better word) to have 3 seperate parts: a synth, a host and a tracker.

reViSiT is not written as just another tracker and is not just another Impulse Tracker 2 clone. The plug-in architecture is one of the core ingredients. It is designed to work with the sequencer, not in lieu of it. The idea is to write part of your song in the sequencer and half in the tracker. If you can convince Steinberg to integrate the reViSiT interface as part of the host, sure, but don't hold your breath!

It's mainly the lack of tempo-controls I miss in revisit, and the keyboard issues. In the ideal case revisit would be a host itself so there'd really only be revisit and some vst plugins, without the need of a 3rd-party host.. is that possible?

I have begun work on a dedicated ASIO host that will effectively make reViSiT standalone (based on VSTHost), but the initial version will not support other VSTi synths (though I obviously hope to add this later). It will be available free and will solve all keyboard problems (all keys go to reViSiT, of course). Then I will look at hosting other VSTi's or perhaps adding Rewire support. It might also possible to give reViSiT control of the tempo/playback rate. However, note that since this project doesn't gel with the reViSiT concept, it's not top priority.

Actually it's all a bit like what you wrote in that thesis... it's either fast/efficient but perhaps a bit bitchy to learn, or it's a n00b-proof design and quite mouse'ish and slow.

Actually, the thesis talks about that tradeoff as 'perceived wisdom'. Many programmers see it as the case and thus don't put in the effort to design fast, efficient and yet intuitive control methods. For what it's worth, I have just been accepted to Cambridge to study this very topic as a PhD. And reViSiT will be a case study.

For the moment, vsampler and cubase (or usually any vst plug for that matter) sit in the safe/simple corner, while you try to interfere with a fast/key-design. Have you ever wondered whether that could be combined anyway?

This is one of the goals of reViSiT - making tracking more accessible to musicians. First step was to add a tracker to the environment which the musicians inhabit (the sequencer). The second step is to get it up to the power/usability of Impulse Tracker. The final (and neverending) step is to make it both more powerful and more usable (even 'easy').

A game-gfx designer (I do those things a lot) would in my case be a design-'instrument' rather than a typical tool.. one needs to learn it but can eventually use it with great speed.

My approach is to go one step further. To present the user with a learning stage is a total turn-off. Yeah, sure, have mouse and keyboard options, but have a mode of use that is accessbile to the complete novice - no learning required. Then design the interface so that they implicitly learn the faster/more powerful methods without knowing they're "in school". reViSiT not quite there yet (it still borrows too much from IT2), but I have plans.

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-18 6:19 PM (#13615 - in reply to #13614)

Expert

Are you saying that it rotates the data within the block? For example, with a 4-row selection, Ctrl-Ins will change the row order to 4,1,2,3? My copy of IT2 does not do this.

hm.... do you have a registered copy of IT2? I faintly remember asking for that feature *after* I got my copy and *after* public releases halted due the diskwriter-piracy thing. I dunno how active JL was with distributing new versions to his users. I once asked for the midifile diskwriter btw, and he made that almost overnight! Needed it for my study, since I had to print scores. ^_^ Somehow in that period he was somewhat active.. too bad it's all limited, memorywise (hardcoded memoryadresses and hardcoded numbers rather than variables ), so it was not much expandable/maintainable.. that's mainly how IT2 development died..

But yeah: it just cycles around block-content. Handy for polyrythmic stuff, but I also used it to cycle around echo-channels in case I had a continuous repeat of that channel.. (it basically gets rid of the first empty steps when you copy channels to their echo positions). Anyway, with VST instruments having their own DSP's these days, the echo-purpose is kinda gone, the cyclesshifts for drum- 'n percussion-tracks is still handy nonetheless.. Even for melodic stuff it could be handy to cycle them around a bit.. can create interresting new stuff!

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-20 7:15 PM (#13616 - in reply to #13615)

Expert

Used it some more today.. was working on some StarWars'ish orchestral piece.. new requests/things below :P

* Due me not paying attention I incidentally edited an already finished pattern with content that really wasn't meant for that pattern. It would be *really* handy to be able to set a pattern to read-only to protect it from more silly actions. With read-only I mean that I still can read-out notes, instruments, values etc. with the enter key, but I can't change a bit of it, not the patternlength, not the maj/min highlights, zippo.

* Add a field in the instrumentscreen (anywhere, but for example in the midi tab) to set a percussion-flag. If this flag is set then that instrument won't be transposed with ALT Q/A. This is extremely handy in huge setups where the percussion is scattered around in the centre, all between normal instruments.

* I dunno how you change articulations of instruments, in vsampler I programmed quite a bit o' switch-keys, seems to be a conventional method. I use a dedicated channel for these switches as I don't always have an empty step for that key, and sometimes each step features another articulation. Working with large orchestrations (40++ channels) showed that this extra dedicated step is actually quite annoying, as it widens the required area in the patterneditor. I mentioned the dedicated step earlier (back then by switching banks), but you didn't see the point of changing the patternlayout (or the point in general). So, what about this proposal: have the instrument hardlinked to a channel, and use the instrument *number* to act like midi-note, so the number 0 refers to [c 0], 12 refers to [c 1] etc. This doesn't require you to change the layout, the only thing you would need to do is attach an instrument to a channel somehow and send the previously-known-as-instrument-info as note. This gives you 100 switchkeys, of which the best are ofcourse in the lower regions, but even below the contrabassoon there's still plenty o' room! If you still don't like this concept, let me ask you these questions:
- how often you change an instrument on a single channel?
- do you see a tracker as the perfect tool to create large-scale orchestral scores? (rather than only a tool to create drumsloops and basslines) If yes: then I'd hope you'd agree on dedicated channels, it's quite messy when instruments are scattered around, on different channels in each pattern. At least I can't imagine the 5 strings on channel 01..05 on pattern 1 and on channel 23, 43, 50,51, 60 in the next one. So the flexibility to not have dedicated channels (and thus being able to have each instrument everywhere) is overrated imho.

* Do you have a track you made 100% with revisit (and some vst instruments) to sortof showcase what's the best you've archieved with revisit? So, no revisit & 'normal cubase/miditrack' hybrid, just 100% pure tracked..

* after exporting this starwars-clone with the export function from cubase, I got some errors ticks in the wav.. never happened before.. any idea?
[edit] appears the whole internal cubase project file was fubar, after creating a new project, reloading the samplelib in vsampler and reloading the xml revisit song it all works ok again. So, whatever you do: don't wipe the in-revisit load/save option, it can save a project from doom!
[edit2] Dang! it isn't fixed, previous edit was actually based on cubase eventually crashing at 6% while exporting. Currently I still have loud 'n ugly pops!

ok, enough for today (hope I'm all-in not too annoying, but I really want to contribute 'n stuff :P), time to LMAO at the Eurovision Songcontest! ^_^

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-28 5:52 PM (#13617 - in reply to #13616)

Expert

Slight idea on the 'weird' programchange send issue in the instrument list (mentioned somewhere @ the prev. page). Imagine I already have an instrument defined (like ch1 pc8, on some loopbe device orso), next I add a vst instr. like FM7. By default you get that 'exciting' instrument (#001), so I figure: play a note in the instrumentlist of revisit and a pc is sent to the instrument. *buzz* .. so I thought, simply change the pc number in the instrumentlist up/down and play a note again (perhaps you sent a pc upon each revisit-pc?), also doesn't work. I really have to select another pc in revisit and play a note in order to get the pc done.

So, my suggestion: send a pc upon instrument-change in revisit OR on each notepress in the instrument screen. Currently it looks like a pc is only sent when a new pc number in revisit is selected *and* then played.

..or something.. :P

rpc9943
Posted 2006-05-29 6:12 AM (#13618 - in reply to #13617)

Regular

yow. like me, we're all crazed ex-IT2.14 users eh?

haha

let chris work on what we got now

you got some great ideas though

RonC
CS_TBL
Posted 2006-05-29 6:54 PM (#13619 - in reply to #13618)

Expert

Crazed IT2 user? dude! I can tell you stories about it :P

IT2 shows the time how long you've been using it.. rite? My record is about 80 hours! :D Back then I was doing my first amateur-action-movie (with car-crashes, motor-scenes, fights, kills, typical 007 clone, all roles played by kids ^_^) and I started a little late! So I "took some days of" from school.. just called them "I'm ill" and there I was, composing for a week ^_______^. That week was followed by an official week o' school vacation, the director (schoolmate) was sitting next to me while composing, with his editing-equipment, he was staying awake as long as I did! By then I was using an SB32 card with 8MB.... oooooooh the memories!
Later one he (the director) went on for filmschool and I did musictech., we both failed for highschool exams (not exactly surprising considering the fact that this project was actually our year's project, and the movie hit all the broadcasters on national TV, radio etc.) but got in due us being 18+. Later on I did more movies/tv stuff with him, all IT2.. so yes: I can operate it blindly!

Oh, and then there's the argueing with all the mustech teachers who were ranting on tracking.. well, more precise: they were ranting on me not being able to cooperate with other composers working in midi-based systems (cubase, cake, logic etc.).
I guess I fought back quite enough by having extremely layered, orchestral, theme'ish results. 1997-2001, it was the time of the, sorta, switch between cheap-sounding synths and akai cd's. And due IT2 being a (tho limited) sampler, I was really at the forefront of it all. Typical samplers would've been too expensive for students, so while I was tweaking Vitous and the likes, others were hopelessly trying to get a realistic solo violin from an XG module orso. (Those bloody sadists-teachers just knew what to ask for, one could estimate no-one had a sampler, and then they ask you to make a tune for a fast-paced commercial using a string quartet! 'midi'-based, no real players allowed... yes: everyone crying out loud )

Somehow the tracking-classicscore analogy really makes sense, and that must've been one of the major differences in all those years, as everyone was obviously working (and 'thinking'/composing) the typical way: {press record}, {play}, {press stop}, {optional editing}. And yet no-one would understand why I stuck to tracking. Teachers already shut-up by then, they couldn't come-up with better arguements anymore. Somehow they were prolly thinking that tracking means 4chn mod files orso. This assumption was based on my take-in conversation where they were already impressed by my demotape (IT2), I couldn't really explain IT2 in exact terms, so I asked whether they knew what .mod files were. The sounddesign-teacher knew about them. When I replied "..but then 64 channels" he replied with "huuuuuuuuh???". Tracking was somehow never really considered an alternative for professionals. Basically due the limited soundquality/expandebility etc. That's what ppl first look for, workflow comes second. It's basically like having a quality 24h chair rather than a synth of the same price.. most ppl won't dare to go for the chair. Sitting comfy all day long seems to be not important. Having great soundquality 'n flashy graphics seems important, the speed with which you can enter notes seems less important. OMFG don't get me started on protools. ^_________^ I've seen ppl using it, editing folio @ that film-academy ... man, I'd love to shoot them. click icon click icon click icon click icon, and FINALLY they did something useful to the sound... argh. The fun part is that this director I'm working with also was extremely annoyed by the slow pace, he was assuming my workflow pace was like 'normal' orso.. :P

There's a whole trackingworld to win, it's just that no-one of the established music-elite dares entering it. Someone has to show some decent results, something beyond typical synthy/dance tracks the tracking-scene is full of.

</fond_memoirs_of_an_IT2user>
(..see? that's what you get by triggering me with 'crazed it2 user' :P )

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)