Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AMD vs Intel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-06-22 5:49 PM (#13662)
Subject: AMD vs Intel

Expert

I finally got a price/hardware-indication from my local computershop, about a new system. Apart from the obvious components: my choice is between an AMD X2 4200 for 1499 euro or an Intel 950 3.4Ghz for 1098 euro. According to the shop-backroom/repair-kid the AMD is faster than the Intel, but the Intel is better for multimedia 'n stuff, simply put: the stuff I'm doing.
Anyone who knows things like this? Both are dual-core systems obviously. I'm somewhat drawn towards the lower price of the Intel and it's 'said' better multimedia-performance.. I'll add a 2nd HD, for double performance using RAID. (and prolly 2x 250GB each with 16MB)

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2006-06-22 6:21 PM (#13663 - in reply to #13662)

Developer

According to Toms Hardware, there isn't a lot in the performance difference between the two - though the "multimedia" floating point (important for audio processing) is better on P4's. AMD's benefit from the onboard memory controller, Intel's from the enormous L2 cache (2 x 2meg!). The Intel can also take faster memory. There's a chance AMD's will be "quieter", as they draw less power, create less heat and thus require less cooling, but the difference is probably negligable (and heavily dependent on the range of coolers for each socket).

For me, I will always go the Intel route as I have found Intel systems to be much more stable. AMD don't make chipset's, so you have a different manufacturer for CPU, chipset and potentially motherboard. Too many cooks, and some of them only know how to use a microwave (e.g. VIA).

The big difference is the price, and traditionally Intel are much more expensive. Since the case is reversed here for you, I'd seize the offer and go for the Intel. Though it's difficult to say what's causing the higher price in the AMD without knowing the other system components - if it's Intel CPU on a non-Intel chipset, avoid it and ask for a quote for an Intel chipset. I'd be surprised if you couldn't drive the prices down, and even fit better components, if you assembled the system yourself - it's not hard, a bit like IKEA furniture.

Hope this helps,
Chris

PS: If you can get a more detailed description of each system, post it here and I'll take a quick recky.

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-06-22 7:50 PM (#13664 - in reply to #13663)

Expert

Dunno if the price is the sharpest around, a factor to keep in mind is that I know them, they know me, good shop-customer relation, they build it for me, easy aftersales, it's in the neighbourhood, I can park the car at their door etc. I wouldn't trade that for a handful of coins.

The Intel and AMD systems are identical except for the mainboard and cpu. The Intel has this mainboard: Asus P5LD2 I945P, the AMD has this one: Asus M2N-E AM2.
The rest is standard stuff: miditower, 4x 1GB DDR 667 TAKEMS memory, DVDRW, gfx-card: Asus EAX300SE-X/TD/128M PCI-E, and some fans. The gfx-card has no fan, harddisks (prolly 2x 250gb,16mb) will be @ RAID for double-speed.

Regarding the noise @ Intel: My PC cases are in a sound-damping case I made, it reduces quite a lot! I already had the impression I had to pick the Intel.. guess it'll be the Intel then. Funnily enough AMD didn't reduce its price under that of Intel..

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
chrisnash
Posted 2006-06-22 9:54 PM (#13665 - in reply to #13664)

Developer

Definitely Intel, then - Asus are an excellent manufacturer. It sounds like you local shop isn't trying to cut costs or push up profit margins, but instead picking quality components, and that sells them for me. Note: if you want a silent performance graphics card with dual DVI, I can recommend the Club3D X1300PRO (CGAX-HP136). Not easy to get hold of though.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-06-23 12:01 AM (#13666 - in reply to #13665)

Expert

I had a talk up to just some minutes ago with a programmer who's into 64bit and knows tons about hardware etc. And all this made me doubting again about the whole dual core and 64bit story.

Is the audio-market 64bit-ready actually?

Do plugins and hosts use dual cores in an intelligent way, or just 100% on cpu 1 and nothing on cpu 2?
Do important soundcards have 64bit drivers? (no betas or otherwise unofficial stuff like my "terratec 7.1 space")

I had a fair talk this evening about the programming side of dual cores, the added headaches. So I can imagine not everyone jumping on the 64bit/dualcore bandwagon at once.

And ok, while I'm ranting: is it normal to be able to program an SY77 right from the first evening, program an FS1r all with the tiny pokey buttons etc. etc. and NOT being able to get any sound from Kontakt due its interface? :P I see various forumposts around on internet bashing vsampler3 and praising kontakt.. really, am I insane then? Or did the world just radically change, culture-wise, while I was happily using IT2? How I see audio-software anno 2006? If audiosoftware were like humans, then each product would lack a specific important organ or something, nothing really perfect, there's always a hidden viper. And I often think the softwaredesigner *is* the viper, laughing at me! It's like watching teenagers write 13375p34k on MSN .. you really think "where in history did things go wrong?"!

chrisnash
Posted 2006-06-23 11:33 AM (#13667 - in reply to #13666)

Developer

Do plugins and hosts use dual cores in an intelligent way, or just 100% on cpu 1 and nothing on cpu 2?

Some, but not all. Cubase does, as should the other major products. Logic 5, obviously, won't. Over time, this will change. Not only will more programmers support dual cores, but compilers and kernels will probably start taking advantage of them without the lay programmer knowing! Dual cores, from the programmers perspective, are more-or-less the same as dual cpu's, so it's not as though the tools aren't already available to write dual-cpu programs. It can be tricky, though, and it is possible that until dual-core coding becomes commonplace there are going to be a few more bugs than normal. Succinctly put: if you have two CPU's working with the same memory and same HDD, they're going to get in each other's way every now and then!

Is the audio-market 64bit-ready actually?

Much the same case, but slightly further along. Also - although I haven't tested this - my experience is that a lot of modern (though pre-64bit) audio programs use 64-bit variables (double's) even in 32-bit environments - so it's possible these programs will see a boost from 64-bit processors anyway. The compatibility, however, is usually not the onus of the CPU, but the operating system. If the OS is 64-bit, you need a 64-bit ready application, but if the OS is 32-bit, you won't have any problems. Bottomline: install 64-bit and 32-bit Windows on the same 64-bit system. The performance doesn't appear to suffer with a 32-bit OS running on a 64-bit CPU (compared to a 32-bit CPU), and it seams to be just as compatible with older applications as a 32-bit OS on 32-bit CPU - but you probably won't get any performance boost - not even if the program tries to use the 64-bit advantage (the 32-bit OS effectively prevents that).

Do important soundcards have 64bit drivers? (no betas or otherwise unofficial stuff like my "terratec 7.1 space")

Most soundcards will, but it depend more heavily upon their age. Still, many drivers are still going through beta stage, even now. The Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space's beta is at http://supporten.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=1260. It's not that difficult to produce a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion that will work, but it is more complicated to boost (or even sometimes retain) the performance of 32-bit drivers on 32-bit systems.

Today, I strongly recommend jumping on the 64-bit and dual-core bandwagons. The performance boost will come (for some it will already have), but until then performance in 32-bit "mode" will still compare with 32-bit CPU's. It's a similar story for dual-cores.

Hope this helps,

Happy purchasing,
Chris

PS: It's a bit of moot issue really. "Going the 64-bit / dual-core route" is more or less obligatory these days - most new performance processors will have these features.

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-08-05 3:30 PM (#13668 - in reply to #13667)

Expert

Ordered a dual intel, 4gb ram, 2x 320gb HD's (RAID for double speed).. ^_^ Should be done halfway next week... let's await how things perform on that machine!

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-08-12 3:08 PM (#13669 - in reply to #13668)

Expert

wh0mp, there it is! Spent 2 whole days to install and setup *some* samples 'n stuff.. next bugreports will be based on this system then..!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)