Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT v0.89.5 screenshots uploaded.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-03 2:14 PM (#13752)
Subject: reViSiT v0.89.5 screenshots uploaded.

Developer

Hi everyone,

'Hope you've all had a great Mithras and New Year's. I've been working on reViSiT over the break and have come up with a new version. It's currently being scrutinised by a select group of testers, to ensure it's safe for public consumption, before I make the release (a week or two, probably).

To whet your appetite, I've uploaded some screenshots of the new features (as well as some screenshots of v0.89.4's Help System):
http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/screenshots.htm

All the best,
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-04 12:04 AM (#13753 - in reply to #13752)

Expert

Yay, finally we can compose using webdings and wingdings ^_^

One thing, what was the default font+size again??
Also: is it possible to have the vertical space between the bottom and top of two characters customizable? Sometimes a font shows up with the ideal size, but then there's way too much empty space eating my screen.. :P (it's mere pixels tho, but 64*merepixels is still quite some pixels!)

Will put it to a heavy test today due a TV episode deadline I have.

A few old bugs are still present tho:

- the first time the instrument name doesn't show up in the pattern editor unless you go to the instrument list and change current instrument there.
- F5/playscreen: can't scroll through the channels without messing up those instrument names, volume outputs etc.
- timing while using Loopbe30.
Do the following:

- empty project
- A1 synth (it's default in sx3 afaik), make some dumb bass with an immediate attack and a fast decay, so the sound becomes easy to identify.
- in revisit: send midi out to 'internal MIDI', and make sure cubase has the right in/out settings in a midi track
- then fill one track with nothing but C 5's or whatever note.
So,
C 5
C 5
C 5
etc.

Now you get exactly what I have here, and @ playback I get very nasty timing errors. Errors are almost like using SD0 SD1 SD2 randomly in 6-frames-per-step mode!

It's consistent, whether I use Halion, FM8, Fm Heaven, A1, some drumcomputer, anything at all, as long as thing move through Loopbe30, things are messy. The 16 VST channels are tight tho. The programmer of Loopbe30 claims he's not the one to debug this bug. :P ATM it forces me to put attack'ish instruments on the 16 VST channels (and pray they're enough!) and have the pad'ish things on loopbe devices.
It's not just during live playback, but also during audio export, and that's the most annoying thing of all, I could secure my timing by writing track-per-track and change loopbe-connected VSTi's into vst-connected VSTi's, but you can imagine the hastle it is. Actually, this bug is #1 in my (not too long :P ) list of workflow annoyances, for the rest Revisit workflow is quite fluent, I even 'accepted' some of those silly VST plugins with their dogdirt interfaces, while I still think that even the programmers/designers of those VSTi's are far from sound-programmers themself, such obvious flaws everywhere. I once had a discussion like this with some fellows, we argued that Blizzard games were good because they appear to be made by people who actually play their own game. I mean, go figure: Halion, one loads some sound from a CD or DVD, one gets to click [ ok ] buttons on windows. Why can't one press [enter] (e.g. why don't they put the focus on the ok-button), and why are those windows located at different spots at the screen each time? because of that, you can't just click-click-click if you're doing boring dull batch'ish importing of many files. This is just one of the many annoyances, and each VSTi has its own stupid things. So therefor I sometimes wonder: do those Halion designers do the same things I do, and if yes: do they also complain about all these silly flaws? Do they like moving a knob for *one* pixel on 1280x1024 screens to get it in the right shape..? (of course mousewheel does +/-10)

This is again a reason why a tracker, or better: table-style keyboard input, is such an efficient method.. gimme a synth with a large 2d grid with parameters.. really, a 20x20 grid with 400 parameters would be great! Including velo/keygroup editing for softsamplers, including keyswitch editing, sample-loop values etc. So handy, with ctrl-c/v for easy parameter copy.

..ohwell.. </monthly_rant>

Things to look at:

* SDx: the Dx isn't remembered in following S commands. (or at least the x)

So:

SD3
S00
S00
S00
S00
S00
etc.
Only has the first step delayed.. Highly annoying in case of harp glissandi, which require a higher res than the pattern gives, and yes I know you intend to have like a grid within a grid which defeats the use of SDx for these fast passages, but that's not giving anything for now.. besides, it would be consistent with other repeating commands to have it repeat.

* dot color, I've been looking at the screen for a while, also while playing with different fonts: what about the empty cells having a darker color for the dots than bright white? This would make the filled cells stand out, and all these bright dots tend to be a bit too 'present'

* pressing F1 for help, after closing help with ESC, space, whatever, it would be nice if the focus would be set @ the pattern editor, now it's not. (and do we have to see this "Don't panic" welcome window each time we switch to rev? :P It also pops up after an alt-tab orso) (maybe it's an idea to have the help integrated in the rev.window? like showing another tab or so, kinda like IT2 works. (it's not like I use this help a lot, but hey, there are more users :P)

darn, I talk too much, do I? :D

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-04 11:53 AM (#13754 - in reply to #13753)

Developer

Re: Fonts and font spacing.

The default font is "Lucida Console, 9, Regular". Some fonts are going to look weird because of the way they've been coded, or even designed. For the vertical, the spacing is encoded in the font. For the horizontal, reViSiT takes the default spacing to be the width of the widest character, 'W' - so that it can ensure there are no overlaps when a 'W' is used in the effect column. In some fonts, the 'W' is significantly wider than most other characters, and thus you're going to get a lot of space. I will look to see if there is any easy way to improve this, but the simple answer is that such fonts are not suitable for reViSiT. It was either this, or restrict your selection to fixed-width fonts!

Re: Instrument List updating.

I assume this is simply when loading a module saved with the host - otherwise there would be no default Instrument name. I'll investigate.

Re: Graphics corruption on Info Page.

I'll investigate. At some stage this whole screen will be updated with TTF fonts, but it's not a high priority at the moment.

Re: Timing with LoopBe30.

If the LoopBe developer is certain it's not him, then I'll do some checking. I have a MidiSport 8x8 hardware MIDI interface here, with rock-solid timing; I'll see if there's any delays there. If not, it's LoopBe.

Re: SDx command not remembered.

I'll check this. Would seem strange if it was just SDx not being remembered, and not the whole of Sxx or even all effects.

Re: Dot colour.

Sounds like you need to take a break from staring at the screen! Fading out empty rows is not desirable, and it's quite clear which rows contain data and which don't. Also, it would confuse - as faded dots are already used to tell you that you're in Panning column mode, instead of Volume column mode. Also, MIDI Effects (0xx to 9xx) are faded to distinguish them from Audio effects. Also, post/pre previews are faded. As are muted columns.

Re: Help focus and welcome bar.

The welcome bar appears everytime you Alt-Tab in Cubase because of Cubase's quirky windows management - it completely closes the reViSiT window everytime you change app. You can workaround this by chosing the "Always On Top" option for the plug-in IN CUBASE (not reViSiT's own). I should also be able to workaround this in reViSiT herself. In the public release of v0.89.5, the welcome bar might/should/will also be togglable.
   I had any number of issues trying to fix the focus when I coded the help. The problem is that when you press ESC to close help, setting the focus is done by the Winhelp application, not reViSiT. And this doesn't always get it right, for some reason. However, there is good and bad news on this front. The bad news is that Windows Vista won't have the Winhelp application built-in to the OS, so reViSiT help won't work. The good news is that I have already started coding my own replacement, which will be fully controlled by reViSiT code. There might also be a chance to integrate the windows as pages in the reViSiT UI. In any case, reViSiT WILL have control of the focus when this is done. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the feedback.

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-04 11:01 PM (#13755 - in reply to #13754)

Expert

'ALT J' to set an amplify value freezes Revisit! As I'm in a hurry I'll be switching back to the previous version (of which I kept the dll, naturally)

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-04 11:33 PM (#13756 - in reply to #13755)

Expert

btw, is it possible to export your previous built-in font (used in older versions so to say) as windows font somehow? Original and double size, doesn't need to be proportional, same vert/hoz distances (twice for doublesize ofcoz).. somehow these standard windows fonts are not exactly made for tracking I think, whereas the old built-in Rev font was ideal (just a tad small).

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-05 12:28 AM (#13757 - in reply to #13756)

Developer

Re: Alt-J freezing reViSiT.

It's not a freeze. The Volume Amplification window just isn't drawn - you can still exit with ESC, though you made need to press it twice if the Help Bar is up.

Re: Original reViSiT font.

The original font was literally just a bitmap - not even a .fon file. However, you can get pretty much 1:1 equivalence with a font called "PC Senior", available at http://www.zone38.net/font/. Size 6 is original, and Size 12 is double size!

All the best,
Chris

PS: Solved your MIDI timing problem. Don't know why it stuttered, but in the next release, as long as you avoid MIDI Delay settings (in Preferences) of 0, you should be ok. Auto is generally the best, as this should match the latency of ASIO automatically.

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-05 1:05 AM (#13758 - in reply to #13757)

Expert

Good!! If there's an internal midi-delay fix to be expected soon I'll try it ^__^ (it would solve oodles o' problems here!)

One other thing: [return] to 'grab' a channel-row's contents: do include volume in case the volume mask is switched on!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)