Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT v0.89.5 update released!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-14 11:48 PM (#13759)
Subject: reViSiT v0.89.5 update released!

Developer

Hi Everyone,

A Happy New Year to one and all. With any luck, this will be the final alpha version before Beta. If v0.89.5 proves stable in the coming weeks, it will simply become 0.90.0. However, there are plenty of new features to go wrong, many of which can be seen in action at http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/screenshots.htm ...

• reViSiT now uses TrueType fonts.
    We'll have no more complaints about letters being too small, as you now choose your own font. Set yours using "Pattern Font" in Preferences(F12). A number of graphics performance optimisations accompany this change. reViSiT comes with its own font, aptly named "reViSiT".
  • Pattern Follow
    Press Ctrl-F and the editing cursor will follow playback. The practical upshot of this is that you can now record note data in realtime - reViSiT will even enter the appropriate note delay (SDx) to give you frame-accurate recording (NOTE: you must enable the effect columns in the edit mask).
  • Pattern Preview
    When the current pattern matches the current order (i.e. when you step through patterns by order, etc.), reViSiT will show you previews of the rows that come before and after the one being edited. Centralised cursor works best.
  • Pattern Overview
    A new feature which displays a window showing a condensed schematic of the entire pattern, and marks both the editing 'viewport' and playback cursor. Use it to find specific patterns, or move about within them, more easily.
  • Many other improvements, changes and fixes
    Audio, as well as graphics, performance should be improved. MIDI timing might also be more accurate in some situations, thanks to new MIDI scheduling. Check the readme.txt or release notes, for details of all the changes.

If you have already applied to the Alpha programme, you will have an email containing the details of the download. If you haven't applied, go to http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/download.htm and sign up for the download.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to pose them on the forum - or to me directly by email, via revisit@nashnet.co.uk. For more information, see the reViSiT website @ http://revisit.nashnet.co.uk.

Enjoy!

All the best,
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-18 12:51 AM (#13760 - in reply to #13759)

Expert

* font in ALT-J menu and instrument menu are small! Too small to read, and I feel something's wrong in the ALT-J menu, but it's all too small to exactly see what happens. (Dunno if it's related, but I'm using that PC senior font @ size 12) I just can't get my standard 090% typed in there. My current highlight bar in the instrumentmenu is about 1/3 of what it should be, and so are the fonts probably!

* now and then the cursor doesn't move down according to the cursor step when entering a value in for ex. the volume column or fx column. This seems to be happening randomly, and then after something random (or some random time) it's back to normal .. I can't seem to figure out how/why this happens o_O

[ edit ] Ok, this happens during playing!

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
fegi
Posted 2007-01-18 7:47 AM (#13761 - in reply to #13760)

Veteran

hi!

regarding the too small fonts: this happened to me as well while testing the new version. i had to restart windows and go to the windows system preferences, into the fonts menu and do a refresh there. it seems to be a windows related bug...because since then i didn't have that problem again.

greetings,

fegi
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-18 11:54 AM (#13762 - in reply to #13761)

Expert

k, fonts seem to have been reset, still: the ALT-J thing is completely fubar'ed currently!

Next: each time I load my project back, the revisit window size is reset to its default size, which means I need to stretch/shape it back to my preference again. What I'd like to see is: either save the revisit window dimension in the cubase project, *or* save it in the revisit .ini file.

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-18 8:59 PM (#13763 - in reply to #13762)

Expert

heh, if your patterncursor is at the spot of the ALT-J menu, it'll be placed OVER the ALT-J menu.. :-)

[edit] check: the row-move bug doesn't occur only when playing, it just randomly occurs.., and it also bugs @ note entry.
hm.. one seems to be able to cure this bug with a play command.. since pattern-follow is new since previous versions, I think the pattern follow is the guilty one here!

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-18 10:20 PM (#13764 - in reply to #13763)

Developer

I can confirm a small bug in the text entry of sliders. In the meantime, please use the mouse or cursors.

As for row skip, I can't reproduce any problem. Note: when Alt is held down, the row skip is overridden and it will always step 1. Could you have accidentally hit Alt/Alt Gr?

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-18 10:52 PM (#13765 - in reply to #13764)

Expert

No, and it doesn't move with step 1, it moves with step 0, that's the whole problem. (so, it doesn't move at all) I tested this on all columns, and everywhere the same problem, then I hit F6 to play, and gone is the problem.

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-19 3:45 PM (#13766 - in reply to #13765)

Developer

I still cannot reproduce this cursor step problem at all - it will not be "random", you need to find and give me an exact procedure to reproduce it. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Maarten: There was a similar problem in one of the v0.89.5 pre-release versions, where cursor stepping did not step during playback with Pattern Follow OFF, but this was fixed. Are you sure you're using the publicly released version?

Also, previously, when you said the fonts were "too small" - could you actually see them at all? Were they using the reViSiT font, or substituting a different font?

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-19 11:25 PM (#13767 - in reply to #13766)

Expert

Will check the version later, I've a fair to attend with an MSX booth.
Regarding the font: one could recognize it, it appeared to be somewhat of a 4x6 font or something.. very small. As I know what these characters look like I could see that the words were correct, but it was hell'ish to read. It's prolly *some* font at its lowest size. Anyhoo, as fegi suugested, I refreshed the font dir of windows.. and it seems to have been cured.

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-20 1:27 PM (#13768 - in reply to #13767)

Developer

It's just kind of strange. I  expected some problems with initial font installations, but the problems I got were that the font was invisible until you rebooted, not that you could see a different font at size 6 (probably MS Sans Serif). It's very annoying.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-23 12:09 AM (#13769 - in reply to #13768)

Expert

Just piping in briefly (deadline night here) I run 0.89.5 as the floating rev window tells me, can't recall where I got it from. The DLL is 1712128 bytes, the rar is called *a5pre4.

Anyhoo, I just lost my AZ keys, not 09, only AZ .. so, I can input a C#, but not the C D E F G A B etc. playback in the instrument list is also gone. I'll save my current tune I guess and restart orso.. dunno whether this is a fixed bug or what.. just mentioning it, very little time for chitchat atm. (I just pray to have a few hours worth o'sleep this night) :P

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-23 12:58 PM (#13770 - in reply to #13769)

Expert

(not exactly know whether I run the correct version :-) But I got some new oddness, all of a sudden cell content right from a certain channel wasn't drawn anymore (meaning: composing on a black background!). Marking the area with a block cured it.

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-23 1:49 PM (#13771 - in reply to #13770)

Expert

meanwhile I lost AZ keys again .. it's not just for cell content, but ALT combinations (for example blockfunctions) also don't work anymore.. just the AZ keys not being read-out anymore.

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-23 3:04 PM (#13772 - in reply to #13771)

Developer

You are NOT using the most recent version. Get the public release version from the website. This handles fonts differently for a start, but also has a number of other changes from Pre#4.

Chris

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-23 3:09 PM (#13773 - in reply to #13772)

Developer

Also, I'm pretty sure your AZ problems are because you have CAPS LOCK on. I'm probably going to add a feature for CAPS LOCK at some point (e.g. instant two octave shift), so I'm experimenting.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-23 3:39 PM (#13774 - in reply to #13773)

Expert

arf, ok.. this is what happens when you lack sleep :P

About the CAPS thing (which was the cause indeed).. are you sure you want to use that key? I frequently hit it accidentally and unintended.. Normally I wouldn't mind CAPS as a functional key in, say, a gfx-editor orso. But in this case we use the keyboard as piano and the ways fingers will bend to reach hotkeys -and having the often used TAB as neighbor- also makes CAPS a key one could hit incidentally.

A thing that would be handy tho is having a few recordable hotkeys for pre-defined octaves. I often find myself working with string-lines, using true legato samples. This requires 3 areas to work with: Keyswitches from C0..E1 orso, upwards legato samples from C3-C5, downwards legato from C6-C9 (all depending on the actual sound ofcoz), often it takes too much creative time (a very subjective point of view, I know) to keep seeking the right octaves with the / and * while inputting such a string line over 2 channels (one for switchkeys, one for notes). What about the numkeys 7, 8, and 9 for 3 quick recordable octaves? I'd record them like C0-C1, C3-C4 and C6-C7 or something. It may sound silly and lazy, but I wouldn't request it if there wasn't a good reason for it.. :P

ok, on with stuff.. :P

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-01-23 4:06 PM (#13775 - in reply to #13774)

Expert

Ok, regarding timing with LoopBE30: There's hardly any diff between VST and a LoopBE30 channel now, yay \o/ .. but I'm required to use "midi delay 002". There is the occasional minor difference, but that's once every 50 notes orso.. dunno. it's not 100% as tight as a clock, but it's workable, and way better than it was!

chrisnash
Posted 2007-01-29 3:01 PM (#13776 - in reply to #13775)

Developer

I've updated the latest reViSiT version (v0.89.5) with a minor fix to correct the behaviour of the Alt-J (Volume Amplification) slider. Just download the file again.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-02 1:48 PM (#13777 - in reply to #13776)

Expert

do check this one:

Is "default MIDI velocity" (from the Advanced MIDI Instrument settings... menu) saved in the project?

feat.req: enable typing a note-off (===) in a track during playback without the instrument being stopped. (Often I playback and edit at the same time)

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-03 9:05 PM (#13778 - in reply to #13777)

Expert

more interesting interestingness:

How to set a controller to zero in the fx column? x00 does a repeat-value here, so if x was 10, then x00 stays 10.

------------------------

Try "A1" VSTi.

ctrl30 is the course tuning of A1's 2nd oscillator, how to control it in the fx-column? Just for sake of joke try a sweep from 00 to ff and observe how that thing in A1 reacts. Is this an issue of A1? Revisit? Is 1 byte enough for these kinda controllers?

------------------------

I have no cursor step while a song is playing... not handy, I usually edit during playing. I *can* input notes 'n stuff, but I have to move the cursor myself.

------------------------

Maybe it's me again, but I still have the same problem with that ALT-J thing. As far as I know I use the latest Revisit DLL, that is, I picked the RAR with the most recent date. For sake of overview, can't you just move on to the next version number already, that saves us all the pre* versions. :P (Or perhaps display the correct version number, even if it's an internal test or pre-whatevernumber release, in some aboutbox if you don't want to change that revisit bar number (a hard image I guess))

------------------------
Also, probably more stupidness from me, but I haven't ever seen that small/overview/whatever new feature in this version, how to get there? :P

chrisnash
Posted 2007-02-04 5:16 PM (#13779 - in reply to #13778)

Developer

Maarten,

> How to set a controller to zero in the fx column? x00 does a repeat-value here, so if x was 10, then x00 stays 10.

I'll turn effect memory off for MIDI commands.

> ctrl30 is the course tuning of A1's 2nd oscillator, how to control it in the fx-column?

reViSiT doesn't officially support multiple effect columns yet, but there is a way round for MIDI instruments: use another channel, enter the instrument's number (no pitch/note necessary) and the desired effect. So, to use LSB/MSB combinations for MIDI CC# messages, set up a MIDI effect for the LSB and another for the MSB and then enter the note in a channel with the first effect, and enter the second effect in another channel with the same instrument number:

C#5 01 64 22A   --- 01 -- 3FF   --- -- -- .00 
 --- -- -- .00   --- -- -- .00   --- -- -- .00

In this example, the 2xx effect is LSB and the 3yy is the MSB for a particular MIDI CC# (set in the MIDI Settings / Instrument List) - giving you a complete parameter of yyxx in hex.

> I have no cursor step while a song is playing... not handy, I usually edit during playing. I *can* input notes 'n stuff, but I have to move the cursor myself.

I cannot reproduce this problem at all; no one else has reported it either. As before: please confirm you are now using the most recent PUBLIC version - not Pre#4 or anything Pre*. Not emailed to you, but available EXCLUSIVELY from the website. There was a similar problem in Pre#4, but it was fixed for the v0.89.5 public release.

> Maybe it's me again, but I still have the same problem with that ALT-J thing. As far as I know I use the latest Revisit DLL, that is, I picked the RAR with the most recent date. For sake of overview, can't you just move on to the next version number already, that saves us all the pre* versions. :P (Or perhaps display the correct version number, even if it's an internal test or pre-whatevernumber release, in some aboutbox if you don't want to change that revisit bar number (a hard image I guess))

AGAIN: THE PRE* VERSIONS ARE OBSOLETE!!! v0.89.5 was released in early January. I do not use RAR files - they are always ZIP's. The public release filenames do not have the pre* suffix - that was only in use for the internal testing.

> Also, probably more stupidness from me, but I haven't ever seen that small/overview/whatever new feature in this version, how to get there? :P

Depends on the keyboard layout, but should be #, or perhaps the key bottom left of the Enter key.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-04 5:25 PM (#13780 - in reply to #13779)

Expert

hm.. that's strange then, why do I need to fill in all those fields again? ._.

chrisnash
Posted 2007-02-04 10:08 PM (#13781 - in reply to #13780)

Developer

Actually, you don't. If you registered before, you'll have received an email with a direct download link in it.
fegi
Posted 2007-02-07 8:31 AM (#13782 - in reply to #13781)

Veteran

little problem here... i can't set a cursor step of 8. only 7 and 9 work may be an issue with my german keyboard layout i guess.
chrisnash
Posted 2007-02-07 10:44 AM (#13783 - in reply to #13782)

Developer

Noop, that's a bug - happens on my system too.

Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)