Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"new features" - the original, since feb26-2007
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-26 5:37 PM (#13787)
Subject: "new features" - the original, since feb26-2007

Expert

Ok, in short, from what I remember from the wiped thread:

- can one make his own fonts for revisit? if yes: how? Will bitmap work, or a vector format based on a bitmap?

- [end] in the pattern order should move to the === position of the block o' patterns it's in, not just to the end of the canvas.

- [end] in the instrument name list should also first move to the space after the last character, and only after that move to that column right from the name. (like that, it's convenient when changing an instrument name)

- a seperate low-spec Revisit'ish viewer for those Rev. XML files with the pattern content

ehmmmm.. was there more?? Don't remember.. ._.

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-02-26 8:38 PM (#13788 - in reply to #13787)
Subject: RE: "new features" - the original, since feb26-2007

Developer

- can one make his own fonts for revisit? if yes: how? Will bitmap work, or a vector format based on a bitmap?

Yes. reViSiT can use any Windows font - TrueType (.TTF), OpenType or Bitmap (.FON) - just install it in the Windows/Fonts directory and it'll appear in the list the presents itself in Preferences.

TrueType font editors can be expensive, but High-Logic's aptly named "Font Editor" software is quite good value. Given the amount of free fonts out there, though, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one to fit the bill - making a font is a *lot* of work.

- [end] in the pattern order should move to the === position of the block o' patterns it's in, not just to the end of the canvas.

Should be able to do this easily enough.

- [end] in the instrument name list should also first move to the space after the last character, and only after that move to that column right from the name. (like that, it's convenient when changing an instrument name)

I'll consider this too.

- a seperate low-spec Revisit'ish viewer for those Rev. XML files with the pattern content

Eventually, reViSiT will "support" multiple plug-in instances. This is NOT to say that you can have several reViSiTs playing, but that you'll be able to load secondary instances up in a read-only viewing mode which may support dragging or dropping from one module to another (between instances).

As for a dedicated low-spec reViSiT module 'viewer' application, there are no plans - but then, the file spec is pretty straightforward, so I don't see why someone else couldn't come up with one quite easily.

> hmmmm.. was there more?? Don't remember.. ._.

I think you managed to remember them all.

Apologies for the loss of the message. In moving to this new forum, I had to 'snake' an offline copy of the old site, which I did using third-party software which effectively follows every link on each page and saves the results. Sadly, it followed the link for "Delete Message", and then "Empty Trash" too. Luckily, I caught what it was doing before it killed the entire archive!

The more fun part was constructing the new forum database from only the old one's HTML pages. Aimoo didn't give you access to the database or any backup facility - which was one of the reasons for the migration. The other is that I now have autonomy over every aspect of the forum engine, including the source code - so eventually I can add features specific to reViSiT testing. I also don't have to pay for forum hosting anymore.

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-26 11:32 PM (#13789 - in reply to #13787)
Subject: Re: "new features" - the original, since feb26-2007

Expert

ahyes, I remember another request:

Pressing [`] (note off) during editing shouldn't 'note off' an instrument if it's playing. I often edit during playback, it's a bit annoying if a currently playing sound is halted, only because I added a note-off to the pattern. As far as I'm concerned, only an [F8] should halt any playback.
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-26 11:40 PM (#13790 - in reply to #13787)

Expert

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one to fit the bill - making a font is a *lot* of work.

Most fonts aren't made for tracking, most fonts are proportional, I dunno, I just don't see it happen that the ideal tracking font comes from some common format. I do however know how to pixel a font as a bitmap, have done so for ages already, if there's any way to convert a bitmap font to a proper vector format (automated) then I can just draw any font as bitmap. I currently use Revisit size 10, and it looks scaled using nearest neighbor, I'd say it would be better to have an optimized bitmap-quality font for each size, and if bitmaps are somehow an option I don't mind making such a font myself and share it..
chrisnash
Posted 2007-02-27 11:24 AM (#13791 - in reply to #13789)

Developer

> Pressing [`] (note off) during editing shouldn't 'note off' an instrument if it's playing.

Hmm. I'll need to think about this. Surely it's only as inconvenient as hearing the sound of an inserted note while the pattern is playing? I'll see what IT2 did and see if it "feels right". Perhaps I'll make it optional - maybe I'll use CAPS LOCK to toggle note insertion auditions completely.

Also, I think I remember another request:

"Holding keys down in note audition should extend, rather than retrigger a note." (or similar)

I'll look into some way of overcoming the key-repeat.

Chris

chrisnash
Posted 2007-02-27 11:46 AM (#13792 - in reply to #13790)

Developer

Granted, few fonts are "fixed width" (like Courier New, Lucida Console, etc.), but this doesn't matter so much with reViSiT, as I have written special code that attempts to respace the letters of "proportional width" fonts, so its still very worth trying any font you like the look of.

The reViSiT font is designed for size 6, 12, 18, 24, etc., and the pattern graphics only work on 16 colours (to keep the memory requirement low) so anti-aliasing and either bicubic or bilinear resizing are not possible.

As I explained before, if you want to use your own fonts, you need to create them in a Windows-compatible format. The .FON file type is a Windows-compatible bitmap font format, so you might look for a program to create/edit FON files.

In any case, have a look at http://www.zone38.net/font/ where there are a number of console TTF fonts, as well as information on converting bitmaps to fonts (using Softy and High-Logic's FontCreator). Another site with a *lot* of fixed-width fonts is http://www.lowing.org/fonts/. You can preview their collection http://www.lowing.org/fonts/images/showPreview.php.

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find even an existing fixed-width font that works for you.

Chris
Posted 2007-02-28 5:34 PM (#13793 - in reply to #13787)

i think i remember another idea from your original post...it was something about an automated pattern sorter
fegi
Posted 2007-02-28 5:47 PM (#13794 - in reply to #13793)

Veteran

that was me of course...forgot to login
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-28 9:05 PM (#13795 - in reply to #13787)

Expert

Yes yes! pattern re-order!

And another thing: note audition when entering a note in the patterns should work at the keypress, ignoring step-delay (SDx)
chrisnash
Posted 2007-02-28 10:11 PM (#13796 - in reply to #13795)

Developer

> And another thing: note audition when entering a note in the patterns should work at the keypress, ignoring step-delay (SDx)

Why? It's not note audition. It's row audition.

What does everyone else think?

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-02-28 11:00 PM (#13797 - in reply to #13787)

Expert

For row audition I'd press [8] on a note or so, note audition is more to give feedback to the user what he types (can be handy in case of large drumkits/percussionkits/sfxkits). In this case I'd only want to know which sound I'm getting, that it's delayed is something I can already see due the presence of that SDx command and apart from that: it's not so interesting to know anyway..
fegi
Posted 2007-03-01 1:10 PM (#13798 - in reply to #13796)

Veteran

chrisnash - 2007-02-28 10:11 PM

> And another thing: note audition when entering a note in the patterns should work at the keypress, ignoring step-delay (SDx)

Why? It's not note audition. It's row audition.

What does everyone else think?

Chris

well, i would expect to hear the note immediately when entering it. i personally don't use the SDx command very often though, so i never noticed that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)