Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Screenshots of reViSiT v0.90.1
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-13 12:03 AM (#13853)
Subject: Screenshots of reViSiT v0.90.1

Developer

Screenshots of the new colour and naming features for Channels and Instruments are now on the site.

http://revisit.nashnet.co.uk

Channel naming and colours
The channel can be given any name of up to 14 characters, though these will be truncated upon display, if the pattern font prompts too narrow a channel. Each channel can have any colour assigned to it from 16.7 million options. reViSiT will remember up to 16 custom colours per session, but these will not be saved between sessions.

Instrument labelling and colours
Even before channels got such features, I'd already added similar features for instruments. Instead of numeral indexing, you can use the Instrument List to specify alphanumeric identifiers (including symbols) for instruments. This is done simply by moving the cursor in the Instrument List left of the instrument name and typing as appropriate. For example, you can change instrument "07" to be Instrument "Vi" (for Violin). Or perhaps 07 and 08 can become "V1" and "V2" for First and Second Violins. In the pattern editor, you just type in the appropriate 'label' as you would a number. Although, if you only have one instrument beginning with, for example, a 'V', you will only need to type the first 'V' - reViSiT will select that instrument automatically, so you could set up a number of 1-key fast access instruments, if you wanted. Note: If you use the same label for two instruments, the pattern will always point to the first. It is, of course, also possible to rename instrument "02" as, for example, "01" - it's up to you to be sensible. Also, if you have renamed, for example, instrument 07 as "Vi" and then type "07" in the Pattern Editor, reViSiT will spot that you are using indexing and insert "Vi" automatically, assuming you haven't named another instrument "07". The feature can be disabled by pressing the '`' key whilst in the instrument column, or Alt-'`' in the Instrument List, should you need to find out what the original indexes are.
   Instruments can also be colour coded, using the same section of the Instrument List. For memory reasons, the pattern only uses 16 colours (4-bits) in total, of which there are 5 presets available to use to code instruments - White (Alt-0), Red (Alt-1), Green (Alt-2), Yellow (Alt-3) and Blue (Alt-4). This may not be enough to have different colours for every instrument, but is still useful for denoting instrument familes or other voice groups. It can also be used more dynamically: for example, if you simply write everything in white and then want to quickly find all occurences of one or more instruments in the pattern, you can switch those instruments to Red and they will stand out in the patterns and the pattern overview. (Note: The colours will not be visible when the channel is muted.)

These features will be available in 0.90.1, to be released shortly. The screenshots are also your first glimpse of the Pro Edition, though the above features are part of the Standard Edition too. The avid eye will spot two new settings in the new Order List screen - Panning Depth (Front to Back) and Theta (Azimuth, or rotation), part of the Pro Edition's surround sound features. More details to follow.

All the best,
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
fegi
Posted 2007-04-13 9:44 AM (#13854 - in reply to #13853)
Subject: RE: Screenshots of reViSiT v0.90.1

Veteran

niiiiiice...this will help alot.

looking forward to it
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-13 9:50 AM (#13855 - in reply to #13854)
Subject: Re: Screenshots of reViSiT v0.90.1

Expert

Together with the notes in the fx-column, for keyswitching, I estimate this could actually double my productivity :P
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-13 10:36 AM (#13856 - in reply to #13853)

Expert

Hey btw, that picture of those 2 monitors with that orange background/light/glow/etc. I noticed that you have a 'modern' keyboard there, not the classic model (regarding the insdelendhomepageupdown island. Doesn't that annoy you during tracking? I always hunt down all kinda shops to get hold of a classic model keyboard, just as they looked 10 years ago. No annoing sleep buttons etc. at the place where ins/home/pageup used to be, etc. Unfortunately those classic models are hard to get these days. These modern keyboards seem to have been designed for other things than "navigation" I think. which is basically the classic tracking-story again, ppl focus on the mouse and the keyboard remains an alien device. I mean, iirc some modern keyboards don't even have a del or ins key orso (one of them, dunno which). Well, this would not exactly be convenient for tracking..! Sometimes I see a classic keyboard in a shop, but then it's part of a whole PC system, like a Packard Bell or HP, so it can't be bought seperately. My current 'classic' model came from a drugstore, my other previous classic model I bought for 5 euros from the junkroom from a computershop, some year ago :P

Do you actually include modern vs classic keyboard-design in your thesis?

Edited by CS_TBL 2007-04-13 10:40 AM
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-13 3:14 PM (#13857 - in reply to #13856)

Developer

I noticed that you have a 'modern' keyboard there, not the classic model (regarding the insdelendhomepageupdown island). Doesn't that annoy you during tracking?

I know. I loathe it, and decry IBM for their utter stupidity - all for a couple of inches desk space. And it would annoy me very much when tracking, if I actually had time to do anything more than simply test reViSiT. My default keyboard was bluetooth, but I went through a period of needing to access the BIOS (which you can't do with a Bluetooth keyboard) and got fed up of plugging and unpluggin wired keyboards, so eventually just left it plugged in. I didn't buy the bugger - I too would look for the standard layout - but got it free from BT, and had it sitting in the back of the cupboard.

When I get serious about doing some music, I'll either go for a Creative Labs Prodikeys (which does have the standard layout and MIDI keyboard built-in), or just a simple 104-key keyboard. I also have tentative plans for a homemade tracker keyboard.

Unfortunately those classic models are hard to get these days.

I don't find that, though perhaps when you need USB (however, there's always a PS/2-USB adapter). In any case, there's thousands of the buggers out there on eBay and in secondhand computer shops, going for £3/€5 or so.

Do you actually include modern vs classic keyboard-design in your thesis?

I'll likely have a paragraph in the coming PhD, but nothing detailed. Although it does violate one of the cognitive requirements for building computer 'virtuosity'. The stupidity's fairly obvious to anyone who thinks about it. It's just a shame that doesn't include hardware designers!

Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)