Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT v0.90.1 Beta released!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-17 10:05 PM (#13858)
Subject: reViSiT v0.90.1 Beta released!

Developer

Hi Everyone,

It is my pleasure to present reViSiT v0.90.1 Beta. Although only scheduled as a maintenance update, I’m please to introduce a couple of features, which add some flair to the interface and might make reViSiT a little friendlier to work with. This version also patches a couple of quirks identified in the initial beta release. The major additions/changes:

• Instrument labels
    Instead of decimal indexes, you can use the Instrument List to specify labels (including letters, numbers and symbols) for instruments. This is done simply by moving the cursor in the Instrument List left of the instrument name and typing as appropriate. For example, you can change instrument "07" to be Instrument "Vi" (for Violin). Or perhaps 07 and 08 can become "V1" and "V2" for First and Second Violins. In the pattern editor, you just type in the appropriate 'label' as you would a number. Although, if you only have one instrument beginning with, for example, a 'V', you will only need to type the first 'V' - reViSiT will select that instrument automatically, so you could set up a number of 1-key fast access instruments, if you wanted. 
    (Note: Labels are case sensitive. If you use the same label for two instruments, the pattern will always point to the first. It is, of course, also possible to rename instrument "02" as, for example, "01" - it's up to you to be sensible. Also, if you have renamed, for example, instrument 07 as "Vi" and then type "07" in the Pattern Editor, reViSiT will spot that you are using indexing and insert "Vi" automatically, assuming you haven't named another instrument "07". The feature can be disabled by pressing the '`' key whilst in the instrument column or Alt-'`' in the Instrument List, should you need to find out what the original indexes are.)

• Instrument colour coding
    Instruments can also be colour coded, using the same section of the Instrument List as above. 5 presets available to use to code instruments - White (Alt-0), Red (Alt-1), Green (Alt-2), Yellow (Alt-3) and Blue (Alt-4) - useful for denoting instrument families or other voice groups. It can also be used more dynamically: for example, if you simply write everything in white and then want to quickly find all occurrences of one or more instruments in the pattern, you can switch those instruments to Red and they will stand out in the patterns and the pattern overview.

• New Channel Configuration interface with naming and colouring
    The order list’s “Initial Volume / Panning” sliders have been revamped into a more coherent channel configuration panel, which not only allows the initial channel volumes and panning positions to be set, but also permits the channels to be renamed and colour coded. This screen also accommodates the Professional Edition’s extra settings for the surround sound and multiple output features.

• Other changes and bug fixes
    reViSiT v0.90.1 also adds an extra MIDI effect for Keyswitching, resolves the note audition / entry problems reported in previous versions, sports new mixing code in preparation for surround sound and multiple output support and includes a number of minor tweaks and fixes. For a complete list of changes, please refer to the readme.txt or release notes.
  • [ Professional Edition Update ]
    The development of the Professional Edition is well underway, and much of the Surround Sound support has been implemented and appears to be working well. Support for a second dimension of panning (“depth&rdquo has been added for both the interface and audio engine, and an additional effect (Txx) allows control of a Theta variable that enables the user to easily rotate sounds around the listener (where xx represents the angle).

Read the release notes and download reViSiT v0.90.1 Beta from http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/download.htm.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to pose them on the forum, and I’ll try to answer you as quickly as possible. For more information, see the reViSiT website @ http://revisit.nashnet.co.uk.

All the best,
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-17 10:58 PM (#13859 - in reply to #13858)
Subject: Re: reViSiT v0.90.1 Beta released!

Expert

It feels like a warm bath, a big yay \o/!

things:

* channel 1 has some odd 'number' as tracktitle on startup, one can wipe it, but I got a '7' just one char right from where I could edit. Dunno if it's random, currently I'm just checking out the new version.
* typing a tracktitle is slow. Are you constantly updating the edit fields or what? If you are otoh updating the tracks (which you do, as I noticed) as I type, hm.. first: I wouldn't know what it takes that much time, but I'd gladly trade that realtime update if that would mean that inputing a name goes fast again. For the moment I assume it's just a simple bug tho.. :P
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-17 11:47 PM (#13860 - in reply to #13859)

Developer

'Can't reproduce either of these. If you notice the first one again, can you screenshot it (Print Screen key copies screen to the clipboard) and email it to me.

The title editing slowness is also strange. No problems here with that either, and I'm using Cubase just like you (?). There's got to be something different...

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-18 12:16 AM (#13861 - in reply to #13858)

Expert

I just rebooted (I had been composing all day), and now I don't get that weirdness in the title of track01. The first time I tested I did get it tho, even while cubaseSX3 itself was restarted. Odd, could it depend on something being in mem, or was it just a once-in-a-million-and-ofcoz-it'll-be-me event? :P
The speed thing remains. Moving up/down in that list isn't slow, but moving left/right is, as well as changing the content. Deleting or Backspacing chars goes slow, but still faster than actually typing characters. The speed reminds me a bit of resizing the revisit window, same kind of update framerate. Actually I hadn't mentioned that before as I assumed it was just a heavy process.. could it be that this window-resizing is supposed to be fast as well?
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-18 12:43 PM (#13862 - in reply to #13861)

Developer

Re: Title corruption.

It's definitely something to do with memory corruption, but I can't see how - the variables are cleanly initialised. Can you remember exactly how it read?

Re: Pattern update lag.

Yes, the pattern resizing should also be instantaneous, with no lag. Can you email me a DxDiag.exe dump of your system configuration, so that I can see what's different. I've even tested the plug-in on a PCI Matrox Millennium II and it works fine. Are you doing this during playback? What it your Graphics Priority setting? Which keyboard mode are you using?

Is anyone else suffering graphics lag?

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-18 2:56 PM (#13863 - in reply to #13862)

Expert

title: no, as I'd overwritten it. But it was basically some decimal numbers, of which the last one (one right of where I could edit) was a 7, as it's still there.

dxdiag: on its way (it moaned about sound things while I was in cubase, to me this seems normal as my Terratec can't play multiple things at the same time, the way my old SB-Live can, e.g. have cubase and winamp playing at the same time).
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-18 3:09 PM (#13864 - in reply to #13862)

Expert

got it! (title error)

I loaded a cubase template, which was made using rev0.89some. This revisit instance has 48 instruments midi-out'ed and deviced, so I can start in an instance. When I pick this template I get this number. "4687287". While this number ain't too long, it *does* have the default "Channel" in the title as well, so Channel + space + that number minus '7' is exactly the max width of the title.

It's a minor error tho. However it did occur, so happy debugging :P A related bug is perhaps that the title isn't properly updated in the pattern editor, since I can wipe out what I want in that textbox, the 7 keeps being there. Is this perhaps related to how you update your gfx? E.g. is the '7' at a graphical position you'll never touch again, no matter how often you change the title?

Edited by CS_TBL 2007-04-18 3:10 PM
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-18 6:17 PM (#13865 - in reply to #13864)

Developer

Good work. Can you send me a copy of the old template to debug?

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-18 6:35 PM (#13866 - in reply to #13858)

Expert

ehrm.. how? Where can I find this template as a file?
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-19 1:01 AM (#13868 - in reply to #13866)

Developer

c:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX3\templates?

It's probably a .cpr file.

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-19 10:14 AM (#13870 - in reply to #13858)

Expert

Nop, all kinda stuff in there, but nothing mine. It's all dated 2004 even!
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-19 10:47 PM (#13872 - in reply to #13870)

Developer

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\templates?

Chris
fegi
Posted 2007-04-20 8:12 AM (#13873 - in reply to #13858)
Subject: RE: reViSiT v0.90.1 Beta released!

Veteran

did a very short and quick test with the new release yesterday evening (only had 10 minutes of time ). i can confirm that the note audition/entry bug i reported with 0.90.0 is solved. unfortunately note-offs still don't work when i stop playback within revisit.

btw: what is this button in the upper left corner good for?

new revisit button

greetings,

fegi

chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-20 10:46 PM (#13874 - in reply to #13873)

Developer

Hi Fegi,

I thought we established that the Note Off problem you were experiencing was down to Reaper? Have you had any joy with its developer?

The button is not actually a button (though I guess it could be) - it's just an icon that tells you what editing mode you're in - volume (as pictured) or panning. I added it after experimenting with UI techniques for the surround sound. Since surround sound adds an extra editing mode - making 3: volume, panning (left/right) and depth (i.e. panning front/back) - it becomes paramount to remind the user which they are in. However, I decided not to actually have 3 different views (1 per mode), as this gets confusing, hiding two pieces of data in any mode, so I opted to have three editing modes over two views:

The Standard Edition is pictured left and the Professional Edition is pictured right. In the latter, you can see how the two panning modes are integrated into the single view.

All the best, 
Chris

fegi
Posted 2007-04-21 2:02 PM (#13875 - in reply to #13858)

Veteran

hi chris!

mailed you about the note-off issue on march 13th, together with a reaper test project file for you to hunt down the problem...
just sent the mail again...maybe your spam protection filtered the message out for some reason.

greetings,

fegi
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-21 6:58 PM (#13876 - in reply to #13875)

Developer

Hi Fegi,

Sorry, I can't find any trace of your email on the 13th. However, I've spent nearly the entire day on the problem and have only convinced myself that it's something to do with REAPER - reViSIT is doing everything 100% correctly.

It's interesting that Note-Offs in the pattern work during playback, but no other note-off or MIDI reset feature works outside of playback.

I have monitored the data flow right up until the MIDI message is sent to the host, and the Note-Offs are sent correctly. I can find no difference between the information sent when reViSiT is playing and when it is not. In both cases, a properly formatted MIDI message is sent to the host via the VST function sendVstEventsToHost. After that, it's up to the host to handle the subsequent communication.

It should be easy for the REAPER devs to debug this function and actually establish whether MIDI messages are being received from reViSiT or not - they are certainly being sent!

Regards,
Chris

fegi
Posted 2007-04-23 8:14 AM (#13877 - in reply to #13876)

Veteran

chrisnash - 2007-04-21 6:58 PM

Hi Fegi,

Sorry, I can't find any trace of your email on the 13th. However, I've spent nearly the entire day on the problem and have only convinced myself that it's something to do with REAPER - reViSIT is doing everything 100% correctly.

first of all big thanks for your effort here chris!

It's interesting that Note-Offs in the pattern work during playback, but no other note-off or MIDI reset feature works outside of playback.

well actually there is one case where note-offs work outside of host playback. use an instrument, like a string or pad or something like that. try entering a note, then go 1 or 2 steps down in that channel with the cursor and now enter a note-off. the note stops playing. can you confirm that?

greetings,

fegi
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-23 10:09 AM (#13878 - in reply to #13877)

Expert

insect alert!

Try this:

A-6 01 .. F10
... .. .. F10
... .. .. F10
... .. .. F1C

etc.
... .. .. C00

And play/repeat this stuff with F6 .. This should give a pitchbend of one whole note. You'll notice that the pitch goes wrong at the first F1C it encounters after looping! The note doesn't matter really matter btw. The patternbreak also doesn't matter, just to speed up things.

Edited by CS_TBL 2007-04-23 10:11 AM
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-05-10 7:04 PM (#13882 - in reply to #13858)

Expert

hm.. I think there's a small flaw in the new articulation controller. Somehow I didn't notice it earlier, dunno why.

Suppose there're various styles in, say, a violin (pizzicato, staccato, legato, etc.). Keyswitches are notes 00 and 01, and my articulation controller is '0' in Revisit.

If I want style 00 and 01 at the same time, I'd expect to be able to do:

[C 4 09 31 000] and [G 4 09 31 001], yet the first switch overrules the next one. Perhaps it's related to those articulation notes being note-on'd and not note-off'd? In Halion for instance, I see these articulation notes being down all the way. I think a better solution is to note-on and note-off 'em right away, a really short articulation note is good enough, for all I care the shortest on-off period possible.
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-05-10 8:57 PM (#13883 - in reply to #13858)

Expert

Trickery bug perhaps. I was changing the highlighters for a pattern and then the whole shebang crashed. Revisit as well as cubase .. :S
chrisnash
Posted 2007-05-13 7:08 PM (#13884 - in reply to #13883)

Developer

Hi Maarten,

I've had a look at those problems:

Fxx Problem when Playing Pattern
This problem only occurs on Play Pattern (F6), not on Play Song (F5) or Host Playback - even when the pattern is repeated in the order. It also only occurs on slides that begin on the first row of the pattern. The problem occurs when reViSiT detects that it needs to restart playback (i.e. loop) on-the-fly. The playback cursor goes over the end of the pattern, prompting reViSiT to reset it to 0. However, the "frame" that triggers the loop is also processed, despite being outside the looped data itself - this meant that the first row of the subsequent iteration effectively gained a "frame", and hence the slide would be longer. This has now been altered so that the extra frame is skipped.

Keyswitching Issues
Keyswitching is affected by issuing a Note On and a Note Off in quick succession. In v0.90.1, the commands were issued in the right order, but ended up being reversed on the MIDI message queue, effectively resulting in "hung notes". This has now been rectified.

Pattern Highlighting Crash
I cannot find any problems with changing the pattern highlight. I have changed the code slightly, so that the operation is less involved, but this shouldn't affect the stability. Can you tell me anything more about the occurence? For exampe: What size pattern? After how long in the program? What highlight values?

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-05-14 10:30 AM (#13885 - in reply to #13858)

Expert

Pattern highlighting: I guess this was a once-in-a-lifetime event orso. -iirc- I had a 48:12:6 division, which I then wanted to change to 36:9:3, but I'm completely not sure about that one. The tune was playing at that moment, dunno if that's related.

Meanwhile I still have those note-off bugs I reported about earlier, where notes aren't being note-off'ed, sometimes during playback, but most often during user-stop. I once thought it was related to having a lot of notes on a row, but I'll have to come back on that one as it also happens with one instrument. It's a bit like having a hick-up, it always comes unannounced. :-) Tho I sometimes the first note(s) of a row, where you start playing, don't play, and iirc then this note-hang occurs, -but again, not sure-. The most freaky bit is that you don't seem to have this bug, do you use your PC as MIDI clock? (Iirc you had some external device for that) Perhaps it's related to the PC's MIDI clock?
But anyway since I'm not able to reproduce this bug at will, would it be an idea to make/add some debug monitor, some window in which I can see the state of things? Perhaps I could recognize some patterns in these bugs. E.g. the MIDI state of each channel ('off' or 'on'), the given note, vol etc. The only thing I can come up with is a theory that a note sometimes isn't note-off'ed when a new note comes or when a stop-command is given. I assume all active revisit-notes are in an array or dynamic list? Can something ruin this array or (probably) List?
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-05-27 6:16 PM (#13899 - in reply to #13858)

Expert

Is it possible to release a new version shortly with just those keyswitch fixes? Atm this articulation ctrl is not quite useful as it is now.. (at least not with multiple instances of notes on the same row, which simple happens often enough), no real hurry with other things.. but this keyswitch thing is quite cool to have right.
chrisnash
Posted 2007-05-27 11:11 PM (#13900 - in reply to #13899)

Developer

I've been hoping to get .2 out this weekend, but have had so many other things crop up. However, this weekend, in England, is a long one, so who knows what tomorrow will bring...

Chris
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)