Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cubase SX3 trickery or Revisit request
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-18 6:45 PM (#13867)
Subject: Cubase SX3 trickery or Revisit request

Expert

The classic stigma of tracking is the tightness of the notes on the grid. Years ago I suggested random volumes to Jeffrey Lim, and he added. That was already an improvement, but not the real deal. What tracked music needs is control over deliberate/artificial timing errors without us messing around with the SDx command for ages. So, I thought about a feature-request like that, but I figured cubase has some midi effects -just like audio effects, but then for midi-. I tried some stuff, transformers and other effects. Random volume isn't much of a problem, in fact it's a preset somewhere. But is it technically possible to let cubase introduce fixed delays and random delays to notes on a midichannel?

Typically one wants notes being too early or too late, so if early = 0 and late = 10 then the average delay should be 5. If something tight like drums should not be random then these drums could have a fixed delay of 5, while something like a horn could have a random delay between 0 and 10. Because the tight stuff has a delay of 5, the random horn sounds like too early or too late.

I can see a potential problem with keyswitching per note, therefor it's up to each midi channel to decide on randomness or not.

I've however not been able to find out whether it's possible at all, and how.

Anyone an idea?
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-04-19 1:10 AM (#13869 - in reply to #13867)
Subject: RE: Cubase SX3 trickery or Revisit request

Developer

Could you insert a MIDI Insert Effect on a MIDI track, fed by reViSiT (or a reViSiT-fed loopback device), and use the effect "Track FX"?

It has Random (Position) and Delay options.

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-04-19 10:38 AM (#13871 - in reply to #13867)
Subject: Re: Cubase SX3 trickery or Revisit request

Expert

The fixed delay works (but only when using the host to playback, not revisit itself!), the two random options don't do anything at all, to whichever thing!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)