Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

BUG: Crash editing Order List during Playback
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

lackluster
Posted 2007-05-29 10:05 PM (#13901)
Subject: BUG: Crash editing Order List during Playback

1) boot logic
2) load revisit song
3) press play on logic
4) while cursor on orderlist is on row 04 and playback is on row 04
5) change row 04 pattern

-> crash.

so: if i change on the orderlist, the pattern that is being played, while it is being played, i get a crahsh.
ive lost many songs like this.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-05-29 10:42 PM (#13902 - in reply to #13901)
Subject: RE: sure-fire way to cause a crash

Developer

Esa,

Nice to welcome you back. Sorry to hear of your troubles - I'll take a look at them when I get the chance. Bottomline, however, is that saving regularly is always a good idea - in any program. As it happens, I have several ideas for a non-destruct saving mechanism and possible auto-save feature.

Also, if you know that changing order list entries while they're playing causes crashes, why do you keep doing it?

Best,
Chris
chrisnash
Posted 2007-05-29 11:24 PM (#13904 - in reply to #13902)

Developer

Update:
I've found one way to cause problems in .1 - trying to edit a +++ entry in the order list causes instability. The issue is fixed in .2 (out now).

Did your scenario involve this?

Update 2:
I've loaded Logic 5.5 Platinum and followed your instructions, but am unable to crash Logic with v0.90.2.
If you still have problems, could you email me a copy of a module that causes the crash?

Cheers,
Chris
chrisnash
Posted 2007-05-30 12:01 AM (#13906 - in reply to #13904)

Developer

Hi, Esa,

Me again! I've just had a bounced email from the forum to your email address (@hotmail.com) - trying to recover your password. It says it can't find the mailbox - did you enter a valid email address?

Contact me if you need any help.

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-05-30 12:46 AM (#13907 - in reply to #13906)
Subject: Re: sure-fire way to cause a crash

Expert

On the saving mechanism, one thing you could do is simply dupe the mem to a file.. (the pattern content and instrument content, minus samples). Each note you add simple takes a few bytes. Open file, write bytes, close file. Next event. Another idea could be appending events to a file (if random access is too much CPU consuming) for every keypress you log an event byte, so the longer you're editing/moving/changing, the longer the log gets. At a point reViSiT could recreate the whole shebang from this log by repeating what's logged.
lackluster
Posted 2007-05-30 8:18 PM (#13909 - in reply to #13906)

chrisnash - 2007-05-30 12:01 AM

Hi, Esa,

Me again! I've just had a bounced email from the forum to your email address (@hotmail.com) - trying to recover your password. It says it can't find the mailbox - did you enter a valid email address?

Contact me if you need any help.

Chris

can you switch it to esaruoho@gmail.com, please?

it was just changing the pattern whilst its playing in the orderlist.. i do it because impulsetracker allows me to do that.. and i treat revisit and schism as impulsetracker. thats the whole point, right?  

chrisnash
Posted 2007-06-01 3:36 PM (#13910 - in reply to #13907)

Developer

Re: Saving Mechanism.

Unfortunately, CS_TBL's suggestions are not really practical. CPU power's only a minor problem, but continual intermittent harddrive access could also interrupt various host/VSTi operations. So, here's the idea I had: whenever you save over an existing file, it copies the original module.xml file (contained within the .zip) to module.xxx (where xxx is a number 001, 002, etc.). This file contains all the patterns, orders and both sample and instrument settings - everything but the samples themselves. This has two practical implications: first, it'll make it easier for users to save more frequently (since they don't have to worry about overwriting or choosing new filenames); secondly, it'll mean that I could add an autosave option (e.g. every 10 minutes, perhaps even saving to module.Axx instead) which wouldn't directly overwrite the user's saved work without them knowing.

Re: Order editing problem.

Ok, Esa, then you need to send me an example of a file that causes the problem. As I said, I have tried several modules in Logic 5.5 and there were no problems changing the order list during playback.

Chris

Lackluster
Posted 2007-06-01 10:33 PM (#13911 - in reply to #13910)

ill give 0.90.2 a shot and try and make it crash by changing the pattern in the orderlist, that is playing..
lackluster
Posted 2007-07-12 12:15 PM (#13938 - in reply to #13902)

Regular

chrisnash - 2007-05-30 12:42 AM
if you know that changing order list entries while they're playing causes crashes, why do you keep doing it?

because i seem to remember it being possible to change the pattern in orderlist whilst that pattern is playing - and upon change, the new pattern would be adopted.
i always give impulsetracker clones a really, really hard time. if they want to be clones, they must behave like impulsetracker, or better. not worse

chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-01 5:12 PM (#13977 - in reply to #13938)

Developer

Yes, perhaps it's a bug, but my point is that if you know its a bug, it's probably wise to steer clear of it until its fixed. And to that end, you still haven't sent me a file that shows a problem and I haven't been able to reproduce it myself...

Also, one thing that I've tried to explain to you before:

reViSiT is not an Impulse Tracker "clone". To be Impulse Tracker is not the "whole point" of the project. This is not some project for the sake of hero worship or retro flair - it's about designing the best possible interface for music. Impulse Tracker was merely the starting point, because it had a good interface.

Chris
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)