Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FEATURE: Octave Slider in Pattern Editor Options.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

lackluster
Posted 2007-07-12 12:12 PM (#13937)
Subject: FEATURE: Octave Slider in Pattern Editor Options.

Regular

feature request: pressing F2 in F2 to also have "octave set" slider with cursor left right to set octave.

i have found this to be extremely useful when working with a u.s. to fi randomly setting keyboard and thus the only way to really work it.

so here:

in F2 pattern editor, when you press F2, it lets you set the pattern size, cursor highlight row and cursor lowlight row.
on top of that, it would be great to have a slider that lets you set the octave you are on.

that way instead of me grappling with cramped numlockset-keys on a laptop, i could just set a new octave by pressing f2 and cursor left or cursor right.

it sure works greatly. wicked!

btw, well impressed that i could use a virtual port-out from revisit, and could put that port into ableton live and thus control my outboard gear. very nice!
im sure i was able to do this before, but i forgot. so cheers.

btw, are there still no plans to implement palette configuration? i cant see any of the lowlights or highlights with my setup.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-01 4:59 PM (#13976 - in reply to #13937)
Subject: RE: feature request: pressing F2 in F2 to also have "octave set" slider with cursor left right to se

Developer

Esa,

Is there anything wrong with the current Ctrl -/= laptop shortcut for octave control?

There are no plans for palette configuration, though I might think about a Gamma Correction (brightness/contrast) option, which would address your problems.

Regards,
Chris
lackluster
Posted 2007-08-02 11:28 AM (#13993 - in reply to #13976)
Subject: RE: feature request: pressing F2 in F2 to also have "octave set" slider with cursor left right to se

Regular

chrisnash - 2007-08-01 6:59 PM Esa, Is there anything wrong with the current Ctrl -/= laptop shortcut for octave control? There are no plans for palette configuration, though I might think about a Gamma Correction (brightness/contrast) option, which would address your problems. Regards, Chris

there is nothing wrong with ctrl -/=  being in use. EXCEPT that it means that you are building revisit to only be used with the british u.k. keyboard language setting. i know you have the british flag in your nashnet logo, but does that really mean that any 3rd method of changing octaves is to be automatically objected to?

i can nicely access ctrl -  to go down the octave. i however cannot make  ctrl-shift-0  do anything about going up an octave. since it makes no sense to run around implementing every random keyboard language map, and since it makes no sense to consistently demand people to switch to another keyboard language set to access keys that are only accessible to specific u.k. language laptop keyboard owners, and since impulsetracker already has F2 bringing up the octave selection -- i would really quite like to request that this 3rd method be implemented.

otherwise you are telling me - and others - that it is sensible to consistently, repetitively  keep changing the keyboard language set from x to y and x  back again in order to track. you saw the light of reason in implementing ctrl-F  as an additional method of toggling scroll-lock mode on/off, for those who have to access scroll-lock  via   function-numpad  for ON and then get out of that crazy mode by using function-numpad for OFF. this is the same kind of an issue, but even more crucial.

why is it wrong to request to have 

ctrl-/=

AND

numpad / and * 

AND 

f2  first row  left-rightcursor

control the octave?

gamma correction sounds lush
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-08-02 11:55 AM (#13994 - in reply to #13993)
Subject: Re: feature request: pressing F2 in F2 to also have "octave set" slider with cursor left right to se

Expert

Chris: are keyboard shortcuts currently hardcoded or read from some lookup table? In the latter case, if this table is some XML file, then it might be handy for users to be able to adjust this file and thus have their own custom keys configuration. I don't think I'd ever be using it, but if it's technically easy to do, you might help some ppl who do want to change things.. :P
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-03 2:57 PM (#14000 - in reply to #13994)
Subject: Re: feature request: pressing F2 in F2 to also have "octave set" slider with cursor left right to se

Developer

CS_TBL:

Actually, they aren't stored in a lookup table. I would like to do that, but its not just the combinations that change, but also the mode of interaction, and scope of the shortcut - even thinking about it gives me a headache. However, I will have to convert it over at some stage, as I fully intend to support different keyboard layouts.

Esa:

For octaves, I'll probably do something similar to the Instrument Menu - Alt-I opens the Instrument drop-down menu in the pattern editor.

Howabout Alt-T? For ocTave. (Alt-O is already taken, as is Alt-C)
Or Alt-R? For Register.

I don't really want to put an octave control in the Pattern Options screen, because it isn't a pattern option. It also has to be more handy than a separate dialog.

Anyone?

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-08-03 3:18 PM (#14001 - in reply to #14000)

Expert

Hard choice. You could take an unused key combi, but who's to tell you don't need such a key in the future? For example whenever you're about to implement that pattern region-"zoom" thing (to have local triplets, double resolutions, etc.), or whatever comes next. To spend a worthy key on something only relevant for laptop users might be at the cost for desktop users. Perhaps to customize the keyboard layout has to come first. Note that I've used revisit on my laptop as well so keyboard-wise I certainly see the issue with the numerical island, but for the laptop I've always used a full external USB keyboard of prolly $14 orso. Isn't that the smarter solution anyway?
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-05 1:31 PM (#14003 - in reply to #14001)

Developer

Extra keyboard is always the best solution, but less good if you actually want the portability of your portable computer...

I'll look into a keyboard (preset!) layout option.

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-08-05 1:46 PM (#14004 - in reply to #14003)

Expert

There are also those USB numerical islands. That's hardly keeping anyone from being portable I'd say.
lackluster
Posted 2007-08-06 8:19 AM (#14005 - in reply to #14001)

Regular

CS_TBL - 2007-08-03 5:18 PM ote that I've used revisit on my laptop as well so keyboard-wise I certainly see the issue with the numerical island, but for the laptop I've always used a full external USB keyboard of prolly $14 orso. Isn't that the smarter solution anyway?

hello crystalsymphony. this 14$ thing shows me that you have never actually flown to play gigs.if you have, youve done it with a band  or whatever so that you never have had to pay for the weight of your luggage. space is hard to come by when you go somewhere for 5 days to play a set, and then can hardly even fit in clothes, books, a laptop, cables, mouse etc  in without running out of space. 

i would say that me dragging around a keyboard that ive had for 11 years, that might get destroyed during any of the transit, is not a good idea by any stretch.

i would drag out a screenshot of impulsetracker's F2+F2, but mr. nash has decided that he doesnt want to associate with any of that.

i still vote for F2 octave set. alt-i? what?!?

lackluster
Posted 2007-08-06 8:21 AM (#14006 - in reply to #14004)

Regular

CS_TBL - 2007-08-05 3:46 PM There are also those USB numerical islands. That's hardly keeping anyone from being portable I'd say.

space is a limitation. either a numpad or a book. i choose a book.

i dont get why this is such an issue, such a whole lot of trouble and hassle.

Edited by lackluster 2007-08-06 8:24 AM
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-06 8:44 AM (#14007 - in reply to #14006)

Developer

Alt-I opens the Instrument Menu, in the Pattern Editor - allowing you to select instrument from a list by keyboard.

Alt-R (register) or Alt-T (octave) could do the same for the Octave Menu in the Pattern Editor, again allowing you to select octave from a list by keyboard.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-08-06 10:37 AM (#14008 - in reply to #14007)

Expert

The alt-I used to be that template thing in IT2, I assume this means there won't be a template mechanism in Revisit, ever?
Anyway, configurable keys, yes, that should suit everyone then.

And LL: I don't gig indeed. My workflow is pretty easy: "phonecall, compose, upload", so I've little to worry about weight.
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-06 3:45 PM (#14009 - in reply to #14008)

Developer

The keys will be preset (with different layouts available), not "configurable".

We've talked about this before and I gave some reasons back then, but the main reason is to do with the upcoming Academic version of reViSiT - I want to evaluate specific keyboard settings and layouts, which I won't be able to do if everyone has a different layout.

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-08-06 4:33 PM (#14010 - in reply to #14009)

Expert

Hmmmm, I can imagine the academic value of testing fixed settings, but what about making it configurable for insiders/testers or otherwise ppl who *will* report about it, and then analyze the settings of those people? Isn't that interesting to study as well?
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-06 4:46 PM (#14011 - in reply to #14010)

Developer

What if it's the responses of insiders/testers that I want to test?

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-08-07 11:46 AM (#14012 - in reply to #14011)

Expert

then.... .... the space-time-continuum implodes and we'll all have to buy accordions to play the polka..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)