Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FEATURE: Audition Recall / Auto-resize on Overwrite / MIDI Reset
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

lackluster
Posted 2007-07-21 3:47 AM (#13955)
Subject: FEATURE: Audition Recall / Auto-resize on Overwrite / MIDI Reset

Regular

ok, ive been using revisit a bit now and taking notes during the process, whilst saving pretty much every 15 minutes. here is what i would like to pose as requests that would improve workflow quite a bit.
1) the implementation of ctrl-f following during pattern playback, for F4.
pros: you could have a pattern playing on the background, providing a click - then press ctrl-f in instrument-editor, and play some of the instruments in, i.e. tap a rhythm with a newly found sound. those notes are captured into the pattern-data automatically - then press f2 to edit the whole thing on the fly!

(one of the reasons why i even thought of this was because the f4 window can be moved, to display patterndata below it - but that patterndata is not accessible, yet i couldnt help but think that if mainseq or revisit are providing tempo, "capture last take" should be possible.
the second reason was because when i press CTRL in f4, it shows a keyboard list, with F not taken. if notes are in, why not a small red circle that denotes Record on/off that is accessible via ctrl-f?))

this enables one to catch ideas when they are first tapped, immediately edit them on the pattern.

1.1) followup, ctrl-left/right/up-down to move cursor in the pattern-data in F4

2) when pressing alt-o twice, a 64row pattern that is being alt-o'd with a 128 row pattern doesnt automatically resize to 128 rows. please?

3) when cursor in F4 is on program no., the keyboard input is not sent to that instrument. since revisit has the decidedly nonimpulsetracker way of having assigned TAB to moving around up-down, instead of between "sound play cursor/current parameter slot" - i dont quite know what to do. set all midichannels blindly and then track? maybe..

4) ctrl-i to send discrete midi note/offs. this gets quite interesting with gear that upon pressing F8 just keeps blaring a sound. or in the case of my current revisit+live setup, when i press f8, all 6 notes of my racksynth keep playing. only way to get them to shut up, is to close the machine, or re-start playback and wait till all notes have been re-played. surely double-f8 and ctrl-I would do this?

otherwise, im well glad to note that program-setting works in revisit, which means ill be faster at using outboard gear from now on, as all the sound preset changes are saved in revisit, which is very nice, especially now that im working towards a stable setup.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-01 5:37 PM (#13980 - in reply to #13955)
Subject: RE: F4 feature request, F2 feature request, ctrl-i request

Developer

Hi Esa,

1) There will be no 'multi layer' interaction. Currently, the 'floating windows' are modal and will stay as such - it's one of the tenets of the interaction model. If the background pattern becomes important, suddenly screen arrangement will become important and people will be moving the foreground window all over the place with the mouse. This, as well as the complexity of hidden dependencies makes the program too hard to learn.

2) You're getting back into your old habit of asking for the same thing more than once, and I pointed out that this isn't such a good motivator. You have asked for this in another thread already. A double shot Alt-O seems like a good idea, though, and I will look into it.

3) How about the Audition mode (Ctrl) to try out the instrument? You're right, though: this isn't how Impulse Tracker did it; you're just wrong in thinking reViSiT is Impulse Tracker.

4) Both the Stop command and more forceful MIDI reset should manually stop any notes it remembers as being active. I'll investigate.

Regards,
Chris
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)