Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FEATURE: Auditioning in Pattern Editor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

fegi
Posted 2007-07-29 7:13 PM (#13960)
Subject: FEATURE: Auditioning in Pattern Editor

Veteran

hi chris!

you might already know i was a former ft2 user and converting to an impulse tracker clone was quite some work for me - but totally worth it
but there is one thing that really blocks my creativity in tracking here:

in ft2 one had to enable and disable record mode by hitting the space bar. when record mode was enabled one could enter notes in the pattern editor, else not. when the record mode was disabled you could simply play around with the currently selected instrument. that's how i found some funny little melodies, which i afterwards entered in the pattern editor.

now i know i brought this up some time ago when i started to use revisit and you stated, that you don't like this behaviour of ft2 at all and find it irritating. you programmed the instrument audition mode in the instrument list then, where one has to hold down the strg-key to play some notes.

i thought i might get used to that after some time, but i still can't.

i have 2 different suggestions that would help me:

- if you could copy the ft2 feature to revisit, but maybe make it optional.
- if you could move the instrument audition mode from the instrument window to the pattern view and make it enable/disable via a button and/or keyboard shortcut (similar to manual key mode).

and the other very important thing i noticed is, that when you play notes in the audition mode - they should just be played as long as you press down the key. one can't play pad or string sounds for a short time since they are playing as long as the next note is entered. i hope you know what i mean. immediatly after releasing the key a note cut should be sent.

sorry for this long post...i hope i made myself understandable. i wouldn't bring this topic back up, if it wasn't so important for me

greetings,

fegi
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-08-01 5:53 PM (#13982 - in reply to #13960)
Subject: RE: regarding instrument auditioning

Developer

Hi Fegi,

There has been talk of adding a Pattern Lock facility that would turn patterns read-only, and it should be possible to nonetheless keep the keyboard-instrument playback in such circumstances. Alternatively, I might be able to bring the Audition Mode into the Pattern - and perhaps lock it in place so that you don't have to hold Ctrl.

As for the hanging notes in Audition Mode: they are supposed to be terminated when the key is released. Is that not happening for you?

All the best,
Chris
fegi
Posted 2007-08-02 9:30 AM (#13991 - in reply to #13982)
Subject: RE: regarding instrument auditioning

Veteran

...Alternatively, I might be able to bring the Audition Mode into the Pattern - and perhaps lock it in place so that you don't have to hold Ctrl.

that sounds very good and i have to admit it would be even more logical than ft2's way of enabling and disabling record mode.

As for the hanging notes in Audition Mode: they are supposed to be terminated when the key is released. Is that not happening for you?

Actually, no - and i thought it was intended to be that way . I investigated it further yesterday evening and noticed something that might be of interest for you:

I routed the midi output to midi-yoke and listended via midi-ox to see what's happening. on my system note-offs are not issued. But...and that is the interesting part: note cut's are! So there must be some difference why ^^^ are issued correctly and --- are not. And i guess in instrument auditioning you also issue note-offs, right?

Is there any other information that might be useful?

btw: sorry if this is a stupid question...but what is the difference between ^^^ and --- anyway? both issue a note-off, right?

greetings,

fegi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)