Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FEATURE: natural note-off
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-09-12 6:45 PM (#14051)
Subject: FEATURE: natural note-off

Expert

This is a 2-fold feature

I assume you can look ahead during playback? E.g. if you're on row 13, you can see what's on row 14? If so, there may be a lot of added value in a random note-off feature that works as follows:

(part 1)
Somewhere in the instrument settings the user gives a value from [0..resolution], let's call it "auto-note-off-fluctuation" (anof) . If this value is "0" then a note off for a playing instrument is performed when a new note is hit, this is how it currently works already. If the resolution is "6" and the user sets that instrument anof to 6, then prior to a new note (for which you have to look ahead 1 step!) the playing note is note-off'ed at "random(anof)" of that step. This is for example a practical feature for instruments where the user IRL would have to move fingers over keys, and require some travelling time. Four quarternotes would never really sound like four quarternotes but more like a a punctuated 8th note, and then quite some random fluctuations on that. It's undoable to do that manually, unless you are a monk.. :P Additional use is having those instruments that make a noise upon note-off, such as those guitar noises.

(part2)
Somewhat the same feature, but then for a normal note-off command === . Let's call this a "nof" (e.g. what you read above, minus the auto). On a resolution of 6, and a nof of 6 each note-off is kinda like automatically step-delay'ed using "random(nof)".

This may all sound artificial, but keep in mind that a pattern editor is a great method for speedy composing, but at the cost of some of the non-stiffness that normal playing offers. Therefor artificial human'ness should be added. It's why I once talked that volume-swing into IT2..
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-09-17 2:23 AM (#14053 - in reply to #14051)
Subject: RE: FEATURE: natural note-off

Developer

I can certainly appreciate the desire for randomised (or better yet - though very different - humanised) control methods in reViSiT, and I'll definitely be interested in exploring all manner of sound/sequencing engine features post v1.0, but it's not a priority at the moment.

I'm also skeptical about how useful a totally randomised variable would be - you describe real-world scenarios that are very far from random, and might not be well-modelled by randomised parameters. There may be a degree of fluctuation, but the distribution would have to be far more defined than a random number between 0 and 6.

Nonetheless, I would be interested in exploring such models more in the future, when reViSiT 1.0 is mature.

Chris
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)