Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FEATURE: multiple midi outs per instrument
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2007-11-08 3:57 PM (#14083)
Subject: FEATURE: multiple midi outs per instrument

Expert

I'm trying a new composition method: RAD! :P Rather than inputting all notes of all the ~30 orchestral instruments by hand during composition (like assembly) I'll try a few composite instruments and go the RAD route. Advantage would be that workflow is faster as the basics of a composition could be summarized in less than 16 channels, so, transposition won't require me to move around the whole pattern. I've made some composite instruments (e.g. 1 instrument with all the strings from double basses to violins, or an instrument with tuba, trombone and trumpet, or a bassoon-clarinet-oboe) but while it is an option to do so, it's also a bit of overhead to do so. So I figure the following options:

1) revisit allows an instrument to have multiple channel-device outputs, e.g. VST, chn1 *and* Loopbe30device5,chn5 *and* Loopbe30device 28, chn15 etc. This way I can decide which instruments to call from within revisit

2) some hidden option in cubase sx3 does this.. didn't find anything relevant in the inserts menu tho. (even then, option 1 is still far less fuzzy)

Disadvantage is of course that the music isn't officially playable, nor does the expected amount of players match, but that's not of any concern in this RAD stage. when a RAD composition is done, one can redo/rearrange it all officially. The composition itself tho is done.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2007-11-08 4:17 PM (#14085 - in reply to #14083)
Subject: RE: FEATURE: multiple midi outs per instrument

Developer

I'm just adding the finishing touches to a very flexible way of routing audio to multiple VST outputs (sending channels, instruments and/or samples to one or more of 16 busses, each of which can be up to 5.1 channels). I'm also in the formative stages of extending the number of VST Midi channels (currently 16), but there is currently no plan to have notes sent out on more than one MIDI device at a time. Similarly, there is no planned support for instruments that can output MIDI and audio simultaneously.

However, it will be possible to use pattern effects to switch the audio output bus or MIDI device during playback, which should aid you in RAD.

'Hope this helps!

All the best,
Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2007-11-08 4:42 PM (#14087 - in reply to #14083)
Subject: Re: FEATURE: multiple midi outs per instrument

Expert

Then do you know of any method which read 1 midi device+channel and spits out the same data on multiple configurable devices+channels, e.g. some insert effect for cubase or anything?
chrisnash
Posted 2007-11-09 1:30 AM (#14088 - in reply to #14087)
Subject: Re: FEATURE: multiple midi outs per instrument

Developer

Hmm. In earlier versions of Cubase, it was a built-in feature of the MIDI track...

What about the MIDI Track's Send Effects? You have to specify a destination track - can you just select "No Effect" or use "Transformer" with no settings to duplicate MIDI streams?

Chris
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)