Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FEATURE: custom resolutions & markers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

CS_TBL
Posted 2008-01-23 1:09 PM (#14127)
Subject: FEATURE: custom resolutions & markers

Expert

Behold this image.

I'm a bit hacking together my own lilypond tracker, which should become a tracker (without sound) to quickly produce orchestral scores without the nerdyness of typing a lilypond script for a 10+ minutes score with 30 playergroups and without the cumbersome drag 'n drop editing of visual tools. Some ideas that may be interesting for revisit:

- My most-left channel is a markers-channel. the *** marks the start of a group o' measues (kinda like a pattern, except that I'll have one 'long' pattern containing the whole tune), === marks the start of a measure (major highlight in IT terminology), and > marks a beat, or minor highlighter. PageUp/Dn jump to === marks, even when they're at non-logical positions (I make a jumptable upon each markerchannel-entry). How about having this in revisit?

The number next to the marker channel is '16', which is to be the resolution channel. This number simple describes what each row from that point on is supposed to mean. In this case each row is a 16th note. I can choose these numbers: 1,2,4,8,16,32. (anyone ever seen 64th notes anyway?). Low numbers may make adagios quite easy to do. Nothing more annoying as to have large patterns being near-empty, just because notes are 16 steps apart. It'd also be practical for fast 32-note passages. Usually I'd either have to have insane BPM's or alternating channels with step-delays. The reason I'm mentioning this here is because it would kinda make things easier in the current revisit. I know you have that zoom-in/out thing on the todo, but it may as well take a while. If you could implement a resolution cell then it'd work right away without sacrificing the layout. The only consequence would be that you get somewhat stretched patterns at times. The adagio editing with 1,2,4-notes is also practical, and I don't even know whether this zooming-out was actually a supposed future-feature! The only radical thing to change would be reviist or the host (or whoever) to know to play things faster or slower depending on where the cursor is in the song. But as I made a jump-table for my pageup/dn's, a resolution table would be a cookie to make. It'd be the number of steps in a song * 1 byte per step. Even for longer songs it'd be well below 5k mem!

The rest of what you see is under construction. The ^^| and __| are beam start/end markers. I'll do the same for legato. Also a tie will be done using a [ * ] on a note channel. So,

C 4
D 4

Would make the C 4 a punctuated C 4 quarternote @ res16.

(lilytrack.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lilytrack.png (8KB - 1 downloads)
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-01-24 3:02 PM (#14128 - in reply to #14127)
Subject: Re: FEATURE: custom resolutions & markers

Expert

More!

With cell description on top, note-column colors (auto), row/channel/cell cursor-highlighting which needs to be tweaked. Oh, and tab/shift-tab works. Note that channels can have any amount of cells here, and they'll likely grow, as I don't have articulation cells yet.

(lilytrack2.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lilytrack2.png (10KB - 1 downloads)
chrisnash
Posted 2008-01-30 4:55 PM (#14129 - in reply to #14128)

Developer

Hi CS,

Some nice ideas there, some of which may well one day find a home in reViSiT. Obviously, your Lillypond Tracker has a slightly different focus and audience than reViSiT, but keep us aprised of your progress.

At the moment, I'm refactoring the code of the mixing engine so that cpu and memory usage can be improved. I'm hoping for substantial improvements, as soon as I get the new code to behave. I'm also hopeful that it will allow you to use smaller ASIO buffer sizes, to run your systems with lower latencies.

'Will keep you posted,
Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-02-14 1:48 PM (#14140 - in reply to #14127)

Expert

Minor update visually, more updates internally. And testing with lilypond gave as result that it's awefully simple to export this tracker data to lilypond format. Note, I still need to make the exporter, but I've sorted out that I can add articulations, dynamics etc. etc. on invisible 'steps' in lilypond.

In the picture: note that the pir and pil (piano right hand, piano left hand) have true polyphone note input, limited to 5 (do I need to explain the number '5' ? )
Furthermore: beams, there are 2 sets of 2 8th notes, and those last 5 notes are slurred.

(lily4.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lily4.png (84KB - 0 downloads)
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-02-19 12:02 AM (#14141 - in reply to #14140)

Expert

Behold! There's also support for augmentation dots (both in notes and rests). Have yet to do articulations like staccato, tremolo, trills etc. but this is already quite something! ^_^
(note, the score below was created by lilypond, the tracker itself outputs a lilypond script)

(lilytest2.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lilytest2.png (22KB - 0 downloads)
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-07-05 11:56 AM (#14282 - in reply to #14127)

Expert

Self explanatory I think.. :P

*clicky*

No exporting yet, just layout/gui stuff first.

(PS. I also made the font editor)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)