Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mapped MIDI mode redux!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

virtjk
Posted 2008-02-26 11:52 PM (#14147)
Subject: Mapped MIDI mode redux!

chrisnash - 2005-07-05 5:59 PM

Re: Mapped MIDI. The current version does not include a Mapped MIDI mode - infact, I have no idea that IT2 even did this. However it seems like a very simple idea, so I'll definitely jam it in at some stage. I'll also make it so that Tracker Channels 17-32, 33-48 and 49-64 map to MIDI channels 1-16. This'll give you some polyphony, even if it is an odd approach! Perhaps after v1.0 we can explore better ways to exploit such a mapping facility.

[QUOTE]chrisnash - 2006-05-01 4:26 PM

Hi Jake,

The "Mapped MIDI Mode" we spoke of is not a big priority at the moment - there are bigger fish to fry, like NNA's, etc. It'll definitely come, as I have another user requesting something similar, but don't hold your breath. I think it'll be 0.90+ (Beta).

[/QUOTE]

Chris, I hate to pile on the pressure when you're obviously working hard on new features, but I've been holding off on using reViSiT for almost 3 years just because of the omission of this feature -- I'd be more than willing to pay you for your time working on it, it's that important to me; moreover, it's something IT already has, so it's not like I'm asking for something unusual. It might seem insignificant or low-priority to you, but it's crucial for managing polyphony on old gear.

For example, I'm using a Yamaha FB01 for FM synthesis, and there's no concept of "voice stealing" built into the hardware; you have to explicitly specify voice allocation for each MIDI channel (say, 2 voices of piano, 4 of strings, 1 of guitar, 1 of drums, on MIDI channels 1-4).

The workaround for that sort of limitation is to allocate 1 voice to each of the first 8 MIDI channels, thus treating the synth as 8 separate monophonic instruments, just as it works in a tracker. That way, you can use as many voices for each timbre as you need at any time, instead of being locked into a certain configuration. THAT is the power of Mapped mode, and why I can't use reViSiT until you support it.

Please consider doing me this favor -- I'm sure you'd be very happy to hear what I make with reViSiT!

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
virtjk
Posted 2009-04-22 3:55 AM (#14666 - in reply to #14147)
Subject: Re: Mapped MIDI mode redux!

BUMP!
So, make that 4 years now, since it's been a year since I made this post, with no response.
Your webserver seems to have gone down (form submit is timing out) just as I tried to register for "The Experiment" and get the Pro version, so I can't see for myself if you have implemented Mapped MIDI mode yet.

So.. have you? If not, can you? Pretty please? I'm still waiting on this before I will be able to use ReViSiT, for the reason listed above. 4 years is an awful long time to implement what, in your own words, "seems like a very simple idea".

Again, I am 100% certain you'll be happy to hear what I make with ReViSiT, and I'll recommend it to all of my tracker->midi friends. Thanks again for your hard work on all the other features!
chrisnash
Posted 2009-04-23 5:49 PM (#14667 - in reply to #14666)

Developer

I'll see about putting it in the next release, but there was an inordinate amount of work to do over the last few years, so I've had to perform triage even on the "simple" additions - and even they can lead to more work than might at first appear. As far as I recall, you're still the only person who's asked for this feature... but, hopefully, your patience will be rewarded!

Chris
virtjk
Posted 2009-05-08 1:30 AM (#14693 - in reply to #14667)

Chris,
You just made me a very, very happy man. Thank you!!
I promise I'll repay your efforts with painstakingly-crafted retro synth music. I'll post my results, as soon as I have time to sit down with it.. You'll probably see some bug reports from me if I find anything while testing.
ROCK
-j

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)