Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting Started -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

midi triggered patterns
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting StartedMessage format

DioCoN
Posted 2008-08-23 4:24 PM (#14337)
Subject: midi triggered patterns

Oh glorious day!

This is the feature I've most wanted added to reVisit. This is the reason I've been using Renoise instead of Cubase 4.

Thanks. Though I guess I should wait and download the newest beta and see if it's implemented there before praising you.

Cheers,
DioCoN
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-08-23 6:01 PM (#14338 - in reply to #14337)
Subject: Re: midi triggered patterns

Expert

I've been using it for a while (beta testing). I made small patterns with something orchestral in it. By playing on the keyboard I could trigger all kinds of orchestral snippets, low, high, short, long, crashes, drones, crescendi etc. Nice to do cartoons from the golden era that way. (a.k.a. MickeyMousing)

What would you be using it for?
DioCoN
Posted 2009-01-06 10:54 PM (#14438 - in reply to #14338)

Sorry for the absurd lateness of this reply :).

I wanted this feature simply so that I could do all my arranging in Cubase in place of some in Cubase and some in Revisit. Sequencers are better for sequencing than trackers (to my mind at least).
Reactor Grits
Posted 2009-01-08 9:31 AM (#14440 - in reply to #14338)

Regular

CS_TBL - 2008-08-23 7:01 PM

I've been using it for a while (beta testing). I made small patterns with something orchestral in it. By playing on the keyboard I could trigger all kinds of orchestral snippets, low, high, short, long, crashes, drones, crescendi etc. Nice to do cartoons from the golden era that way. (a.k.a. MickeyMousing)

What would you be using it for?

I think it's one of ReViSiT's most important features, since now you just have to make your patterns, assign notes to them and arrange them in your sequencer. If you don't do all your composing in ReViSiT, then you can see actually what's playing in your host along with the rest. Was the finishing touch for me!
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-01-08 11:13 AM (#14441 - in reply to #14440)

Expert

The ultimate future would be where these patterns can be used in a polyphonic setting and where you can trigger certain 'sub'-patterns based on a combination of keys. Think of a combination of 2 keys, the lowest defines the basic pitch, the second note defines the chord. [C 4] and [E 4] together may define a major chord (a pattern playing a major chord, transposed to C) while [F 4] and [G#4] defines a minor chord (a pattern playing a minor chord transposed to F). You could even extend all this by reading out 3 notes, for instance [C 4] [D#4] [G 4] for a major chord (a pattern playing a major chord transposed to C) while [C 4] [D#4] [G#4] plays an inverted major chord. And just to note, these patterns could contain a complete arrangement with drums, basses, effects, etc.

With this one can make something comparable with those auto-arrangement things you find in keyboards and (modern) organs. While these may have sounded cheesy in the 80's and 90's, they may as well sound great with today's samples and synths. It would certainly speed up composing, as it now may take minutes before something is transposed correctly across all the 64 channels.

Fortunately this may just happen, iirc!
Reactor Grits
Posted 2009-01-08 12:56 PM (#14442 - in reply to #14337)
Subject: RE: midi triggered patterns

Regular

sounds nice, and since things can only get better from here on out, I'm watching new developments with much anticipation (like anyone on here I guess)! But for now I'm already very satisfied with the implemented features which, for me anyway, are sufficient to make R essential in creating sounds the way I want.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)