Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Research -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT Pro available... for free!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> ResearchMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2008-12-04 6:30 PM (#14378)
Subject: reViSiT Pro available... for free!

Developer

Hello everyone,

After uncountable hours, weeks, months and years of coding and testing, I am proud to present reViSiT Professional to the world. Not only is this new release* the most powerful, feature-rich and stable version ever, it is also the best value... as it will cost you £0 (click here to convert this to your currency). To get further details on the exclusive features in reViSiT Pro - including surround sound, assignable outputs and MIDI-triggered patterns - see here.

And how do you get it for free...? As some of you already know, reViSiT Pro will play a major role in my PhD research, which explores creativity, flow and skill in music. The basic principle I'm working on is that creative flow is enabled by specific skills; and that music software, in order to aid the user in being creative, must explicitly support the development of such skills and a "fluid" user experience. My theory is that tracker software goes some distance to providing these, and that by studying how reViSiT is learnt and used might allow us to look at these creative processes "in the wild".

So, to get reViSiT Pro for free; you simply agree to help me with my research, by going to http://experiment.nashnet.co.uk, filling out the questionnaire, and joining the reViSiT Experiment. For more information, see the website and FAQ. If you have any further questions, I've created a new forum for The Experiment, where I'll try to provide further answers.

What's keeping you...? Go on! Go be creative!

Chris

* (note: the current release is v0.99.2, which is complete except for a few of the help pages)

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-12-06 10:36 AM (#14379 - in reply to #14378)
Subject: Re: reViSiT Pro available... for free!

Expert

Do we eventually also get to read that PhD research, by the way? I'm somewhat interested in how it will match with what I'm expecting it will contain.. :P
chrisnash
Posted 2008-12-06 1:15 PM (#14380 - in reply to #14379)

Developer

Yes, you will! Just like my MPhil thesis, I'll be uploading the PhD as soon as its been OK'd by Cambridge.

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-12-06 9:03 PM (#14381 - in reply to #14378)

Expert

I was just reading a bit on that experiment page with all the Q/A stuff.

"Reports from users of tracker programs, such as reViSiT, describe faster workrates, more impulsive and immersive interaction, and even a distorted sense of time."

Basically this is true (I was probably even one of those users :P), but so far there one style of music of which I'm not sure I'd be able to track it: Impressionism, like Debussy did. Many many times I'd tried to do something like La Mer, but so far: no result. Late Romanticism is no problem, I'd easily create something like Tchaikowsky did.

It surely did make me think about it, why was I able to do something extremely and obviously structured like the Romeo&Juliet Overture, but not La Mer? La Mer, which is basically like a big canvas with Debussy throwing orchestral paint onto it (and yes, it's one of the best pieces of the 20st century). So, structured stuff is easy, but this 'paint' is undoable so far. Don't you think that's odd?

I have only one single theory about it: when Late Romanticism and everything else before it equals assembly code, Impressionism equals Python (or any other high level language). I somehow think that we must not think in terms of individual notes when we try to paint atmospheres and things which somehow live by natural meandering instead of mathematical structures - even though people have found math behind La Mer it's a different type of math. So, the irony of this: while we're all too happy with the microscopical control over notes -something which is usually slow and crap to do in anything not resembling a tracker-, it's absolute no solution for any music which could be described as high-level and living its own flow, rather than *my* flow.

So, what solutions could there be?

Music in which the structure make not be dividable into sections of -say- 7 seconds (which is about 4 bars) but much longer will cause a serious overview problem in reViSiT and any other tracker. Row zooming in/out is of the utmost importance here. And I know it's been scheduled for some future, but just to be complete I mention it here again.. :P

There should be a place in which high-level movements can be defined, this is *extremely* hard to do. It could be a bit like the MIDI-triggered patterns, but then more flexible. Almost like having a function in a programming language, where the function has function-arguments which influence the musical movements the function contains. And it should really be as abstract as defining these arguments as 'emotion', 'speed', 'density', 'modulation' etc. Then what we do is calling these 'functions' from the pattern editor on special channels with a layout like: "note, function, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4". It could even look to previous notes and arguments and interpolate those values to the new values. A function call including a "E 4" could for instance change its behavior if it detects that the previous function call included a "C 4"-note. If these kind of functions are as flexible as I hope them to be, you could possibly be make music by inputting a handful o' things per pattern. This also implies that there is far more room for experimentation, it only requires some different function calls, which is far more fast than currently manually change each and every channel in reViSiT.

Ohwell, too much blahblah for the weekend.. :P
chrisnash
Posted 2008-12-07 2:30 AM (#14387 - in reply to #14381)

Developer

I'm not convinced the kind of music you describe is impossible to come up with in trackers, but I'll grant you: there could be some conflict between the structured, bottom-up composition technique of classicism, romanticism and tracking, compared to more modern composition techniques - impressionism, minimalism, nondeterminism.

One thing that's important not to overlook about Debussy and his contemporaries is the importance of human performance - and reViSiT supports this by not supporting it. reViSiT is about a fluid musical composition experience, but Debussy's music might be better described as the product of a fluid, virtuosic musical performance experience. The capturing of human performance and such subtlety is what sequencers are best at, and reViSiT allows you to include it in your song - through the host - without abandoning the tracker experience and its relative strengths.

As for thinking at a mathematical, higher level... you are simply going to love reViSiT 2.0.

Chris
Din
Posted 2008-12-07 6:53 PM (#14390 - in reply to #14378)
Subject: RE: reViSiT Pro available... for free!

Hello. I'd just like to check on how public the reViSiT experiment is. I'm a member of Trax in Space, a rebirth of the original TiS from the late 90s, and was wondering if I could link to the experiment from the forums over there.

And of course thank you for all the work you've put into this project. IT fans will love to play with this one
chrisnash
Posted 2008-12-07 10:40 PM (#14391 - in reply to #14390)

Developer

Hi Din,

The experiment went public on the 1st of the month, but most press coverage isn't due for a few weeks. Handily, this gives me time to cross the t's and dot the j's in the documentation beforehand, but the program and experiment themselves are ready.

So, you're very welcome to link to the experiment site, and I look forward to keeping an eye on your project in return.

All the best,
Chris
Posted 2008-12-12 10:59 AM (#14400 - in reply to #14378)

New user

My host won't recognize the .dll as a VST

Using Ableton Live 6 on XP sp3

It sees REBUS, and that loads ok, but revisit.dll is not recognized as a VST

Any help?
chrisnash
Posted 2008-12-12 2:45 PM (#14401 - in reply to #14400)

Developer

Can you let me know what CPU your running it on?

Chris
Posted 2008-12-13 10:19 AM (#14402 - in reply to #14400)

Tried it on a second system, same issue.

System one is P3 800mhz
System two is p4 4ghz

chrisnash
Posted 2008-12-14 3:56 AM (#14403 - in reply to #14402)

Developer

Hmm, well recent versions of reViSiT have been using SSE2, which means that they wouldn't run on a P3. In v1.0, I've decided to cut the SSE2 requirement, as there seems to be a reasonable amount of these CPUs still in use. 'Hopefully there won't be a noticeable performance impact.

As for the other system, I'm stumped. What exactly do you mean by P4 4GHz? Intel never produced a P4 at that speed. In any case, I don't know any examples of a chip that can go at 4GHz that doesn't support SSE2, so I'm guessing that's not the problem.

I've installed Live 6 and Live 7, and reViSiT loads just fine in both - and I've had reports from others who say those combinations work fine. I've had one report of someone getting clicks and pops, but that was solved by (paradoxically) reducing the ASIO latency.

I'll be updating the release to v1.0 in the next day or so, so give it a try when it comes out, and let me know how you fare.

Best,
Chris

Posted 2008-12-14 6:43 AM (#14404 - in reply to #14403)

that was a typo.. it's an intel p4 1.4ghz

and it does work on the P4 machine.. after I removed/renamed the old version .dll (duh!)

I just tried to use it on the old system first, and because it says in the help file,
minimum sys requirements are an 800mhz system, i figured it would just work on my p3 800mhz.

Glad that you will be making the change so revisit can be enjoyed on these old systems too!

There are many cheap laptop systems these days, on the resale market.
It would be super nice to be able to use them with revisit, as they make perfectly good trackers after a bit of memory upgrade. I'm using an old IBM 600 series, I love it's full keyboard, and slick look.

Thanks Tons!

onukore
Posted 2008-12-14 9:24 AM (#14405 - in reply to #14378)

hi jesus chrisnash

thanks a lots for rebus !!!
i use it on aodix ... wahooooow
now only edit option missing in sampler

thx thx thx
best regard mourouche
onukore
Posted 2008-12-14 2:23 PM (#14408 - in reply to #14378)

hello all
i've 2 bug with rebus on aodix

1- when a reload a song rebus doesn't work (no sound)
2- it cause probleme to close aodix(AppName: aodix.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: rebus.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000011e3)
thanks bye
Reactor Grits
Posted 2008-12-15 3:27 PM (#14409 - in reply to #14378)

Many thanks from an ex IT-tracker and so far very contempt (test)-user of ReViSiT Pro, keep up the excellent work!!
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-03 9:39 PM (#14518 - in reply to #14409)

Developer

Erm, do you mean "content"? "Contempt" is something quite different.

Glad you're fairing well!

Chris
Reactor Grits
Posted 2009-03-04 11:32 AM (#14519 - in reply to #14378)

Regular

that's the word I meant indeed!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)