Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

some feedback and a couple of requests
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

DioCoN
Posted 2009-01-06 10:42 PM (#14437)
Subject: some feedback and a couple of requests

Thanks.

Firstly, I must say I'm fairly impressed with the new pro version and the midi triggered pattern playback in particular. Very nice!

Cubase 4 and Revisit are mostly happy together now: !) It takes a bizarrely long time (15-20 seconds) for the tracker window to open, either initially or after it's been closed....not really a big deal though :) 2) The panning column isn't working correctly at of the moment - everything sound's fine until you decide to try and change the panning position, then it sounds almost like Revisit assumes that all projects are surround....sorry, I can't think how to clearly describe this problem at present. i'll think about it a bit and try to remember to get back to you.

I plead with you to allow user customization of shortcut keys. The most obvious examples that need to be changed include: cut, copy and paste. Alt-Z, C and P are neither logical in their keyboard placements nor nearly universal like Ctrl-X, C and V. I understand not everyone will want the same hotkeys for the same functions and as this is your project you will have some preferences that will win out, hence my request to allow user customization of the keys. I don't imagine this should be too hard to implement either.

Next, I hope I didn't miss this feature some how but if you could implement the ability to change the steps between keystrokes (like other trackers - FT2, Buzz, etc. - where you can go 2,3,4,6,8, etc. lines with every note entered), that would be most appreciated.

Lastly, if you could add the ability to expand or shrink a patter, that is if you have a pattern of 32 steps, for example, with notes entered into it and told it to expand it would double to 64, inserting blank lines between each of the original lines. You're probably already familiar with this function as it was available years ago in FT2 and other trackers.

Again, thanks very much for you hard work.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-01-06 11:25 PM (#14439 - in reply to #14437)
Subject: RE: some feedback and a couple of requests

Expert

DioCoN - 2009-01-06 11:42 PM
I understand not everyone will want the same hotkeys for the same functions and as this is your project you will have some preferences that will win out, hence my request to allow user customization of the keys. I don't imagine this should be too hard to implement either.

As long as it's all custom I'd say, off you go and create a set o' keys you like. A thing more in general I feel must be said is that tracking is made for speed, and not (always) logic. There may be other keys which are illogical compared to office tools and other tools which are less time-critical regarding navigation and applying functionality. Anyway, with custom keys, this point is moot. :P

Next, I hope I didn't miss this feature some how but if you could implement the ability to change the steps between keystrokes (like other trackers - FT2, Buzz, etc. - where you can go 2,3,4,6,8, etc. lines with every note entered), that would be most appreciated.

(from the head) alt-1, alt-2, alt-3, etc. and ctrl-home/ctrl-end to move up/dn 1 step in either stepmode.

Lastly, if you could add the ability to expand or shrink a patter, that is if you have a pattern of 32 steps, for example, with notes entered into it and told it to expand it would double to 64, inserting blank lines between each of the original lines. You're probably already familiar with this function as it was available years ago in FT2 and other trackers.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to pattern zooming (which is high on my list too, there's concept art of this somewhere else on this website) or alt-f and alt-g.
DioCoN
Posted 2009-01-12 7:34 PM (#14443 - in reply to #14439)

CS_TBL - 2009-01-06 7:25 PM

DioCoN - 2009-01-06 11:42 PM
I understand not everyone will want the same hotkeys for the same functions and as this is your project you will have some preferences that will win out, hence my request to allow user customization of the keys. I don't imagine this should be too hard to implement either.

As long as it's all custom I'd say, off you go and create a set o' keys you like. A thing more in general I feel must be said is that tracking is made for speed, and not (always) logic. There may be other keys which are illogical compared to office tools and other tools which are less time-critical regarding navigation and applying functionality. Anyway, with custom keys, this point is moot. :P

True enough, though I can't see any logical argument against Ctrl-X,C and V as everyone is already programmed to use them after over a decade of their supremacy. As you say, with custom keys the point is of course moot. :)

(from the head) alt-1, alt-2, alt-3, etc. and ctrl-home/ctrl-end to move up/dn 1 step in either stepmode.

Well, always nice to request a feature that's already implemented ;). Thanks. I swear I looked through the manual and found no mention of this but perhaps I was simply looking fro the wrong wording. Thanks again.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to pattern zooming (which is high on my list too, there's concept art of this somewhere else on this website) or alt-f and alt-g.

I was referring to alt-f and alt-g (I assume, I have to go test them). I have, however, thought the notion of pattern zooming would be very useful. Much easier to maintain order in a project that way, not to mention the ability to edit effects in a much higher resolution that way - i.e., much better/finer control over retriggers, etc..

chrisnash
Posted 2009-02-20 7:29 PM (#14473 - in reply to #14443)

Developer

Hi DioCoN,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to say that keyboard localisation/user-configuration is on the cards, and will be one of the top priorities once I get a couple of other things out of the way.

It's certainly possible that the manual has a couple of omissions - the ink's still drying, and reViSiT has got pretty big over the years! Before there was a manual, my official recommendation was that people have a gander at the Impulse Tracker 2 documentation, as much of the original functionality in reViSiT was based on this program.

Indeed, IT was a great program, but it did have some loveable 'quirks' - for example, as a DOS program, it predated the conventional clipboard keyboard shortcuts, which is why reViSiT (currently) has Alt-C for copy and not Ctrl-C, etc. Sometimes there's method in the madness, but sometimes also madness in the method! Indeed, the step mode shortcuts you asked about were similarly IT-inspired, and thus are to be found in the IT manual. At some point, I'll get around to an addenda for reViSiT's documentation.

As for expanding the pattern, you should check out the forthcoming Pattern Zoom / Row Expand feature discussed here:
http://www.nashnet.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3106&posts=7&mid=14472#M14472

'Hope this helps!

All the best,
Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)