Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting Started -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New here. Been following Revisit for a while.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting StartedMessage format

d3drocks
Posted 2009-02-26 3:51 PM (#14485)
Subject: New here. Been following Revisit for a while.

New user

hello.
While i have just now signed up here, I have been following Revisit since its first release (a friend showed me). I must say that I was a bit confused but really interested at that time. (I had been using Psycle, which is one of the 3 trackers I absolutley love! http://psycle.pastnotecut.org/ )
Time went by, and It seemed I had less and less of it. I still followed Revisit, but I could not use it anywhere near as much due to school. I'm hoping to get back into using it now as one of my most used VSTs in FL-Studio. (Ide also use it in pro-tools, but i dont wanna pay for a $100 VST Bridge)
anyways, I should probably go read the manual for Revisit right now.

Im gunna have loads of questions real soon too :p

Edited by d3drocks 2009-02-26 3:52 PM
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2009-02-26 4:39 PM (#14487 - in reply to #14485)
Subject: RE: New here. Been following Revisit for a while.

Developer

Good stuff, welcome to the fold!

As regards questions: do your worst...! Bring 'em on. I can take it.

Have fun,
Chris
sceyefeye
Posted 2009-08-21 3:59 PM (#14785 - in reply to #14485)
Subject: Re: New here. Been following Revisit for a while.

Hi, thought I would just tack onto the end of this thread

Firstly Hello and a huge thank you to Chris for sharing this (am quite thrilled to once again be a crash test dummy - years ago I was a lab rat for UCT sports science dept)

I am using ReViSiT inside Reaper and it is looking most promising

Just one question though, when I open ReVisiT in Reaper I get a small dialogue for the "transport" controls and then a second window opens for the patterns etc. Is this the way that ReViSiT is coded or is it a Reaper issue. Would love to see this open as a single document interface as I keep losing my patterns behind reaper

Took me a while to get my head around what is going on (as I had expected to me setting up VST inside ReViSiT much the same way I would in psycle) but now things are starting to rock!

Now I just gotta find note off so that my bass doesn't hang on the last note played. Happens in Olga, VB-1
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-08-21 4:08 PM (#14786 - in reply to #14785)

Expert

Note off is [`]

And in cubase there's a floating window with transport buttons as well. It's all part of the circus..
chrisnash
Posted 2009-08-21 8:03 PM (#14787 - in reply to #14785)

Developer

Hi sceyefeye,

Welcome to the party!

Sadly, the two-windowed interface is a necessity. The first window (reViSiT toolbar) is provided and managed by the VST host - and some hosts do this very badly, leading to problems with keyboard input and window sizing. Hence, reViSiT provides a second window, over which it has complete control - everything (keyboard support, window sizing) is handled through Windows(tm) directly. Despite this, the program is designed so that you can pracitcally ignore the toolbar window completely - all its functions (page switching, playback, file handling) are available in the reViSiT window, through keyboard shortcuts (mostly F-keys).

The two-window issue is a common complaint, and although there's no way around having two windows, I'll be looking at ways to make them seem more integrated (e.g. anchoring the reViSiT window to the toolbar). I might also try to have the toolbar's buttons somehow available in the reViSiT window, for beginners who haven't yet got the keys nailed.

In the meantime, there's a couple of things you can do to make life a bit easier:

1. Use the Alway-On-Top feature of the reViSiT window (Ctrl-Alt-T, or the padlock symbol, top right) to ensure reViSiT is always in the foreground, and not lost somewhere in the host's windows.
2. Alternatively, you can show and bring the reViSiT Window to the foreground, by pressing Ctrl-Alt-R or Ctrl-Alt-F2, at any time and from anywhere in Windows.

For other keyboard shortcuts (including Note Offs), have a look at the built-in keyboard reference (Shift-F1). However, if you're using a non-UK/US keyboard, you might want to change some of the keyboard combinations to something more convenient. Notably, Note Offs use the ` key, which changes location and function depending on your country! 

'Hope this helps,
Chris

fegi
Posted 2009-08-22 9:13 AM (#14788 - in reply to #14787)

Veteran

when using reaper, just keep the revisit toolbar in the docker. like chris said, when you now press ctrl-alt-r the revisit editor window pops up, press ctrl-alt-r again and it hides. the editor position and size (i prefer fullscreen) is stored. and btw. you won't need the revisit toolbar at all - every action of the toolbar can be triggered by a keyboard shortcut.
sceyefeye
Posted 2009-08-24 7:52 AM (#14789 - in reply to #14788)

hey fegi, are you on the reaper forum? Think I recognise the avatar

Thanks for the tip, quite useful - I have never docked VST in the docker before, but can see how this makes perfect sense and has helped a lot

I am really enjoying this whole way of working because I can run Reaper in "song mode" and mix my midi loops live inside revisit which of course can still run in loops. Note that this is way cooler than rewiring where the host and slave of course have to stay in sync and therefore either in loop mode or in "song mode"

Suddenly I am inspired to start making tunes again
fegi
Posted 2009-08-24 12:51 PM (#14793 - in reply to #14789)

Veteran

hey fegi, are you on the reaper forum? Think I recognise the avatar

yes...that's me. not too long ago reaper and revisit weren't exactly best friends. but now they love each other

Suddenly I am inspired to start making tunes again

that's exactly how i felt, when i discovered revisit (and reaper). i just wish i had more time these days for my hobby #1...oh well.

greetings,

fegi
sceyefeye
Posted 2009-08-27 9:24 AM (#14800 - in reply to #14793)

fegi - 2009-08-24 12:51 PM
i just wish i had more time these days for my hobby #1...oh well.

greetings,

fegi

yeah dammit, work, children the list goes on! what with the improvements in Reaper and now revisit..........will get on top of this sooner or later
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)