Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just two questions for Chris.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

rafa1981
Posted 2009-02-26 9:53 PM (#14495)
Subject: Just two questions for Chris.

Hi Chris.

Just wanted to make a pair of questions about development/programming.

What language are you using for revisit?

I want to learn some API to do a really customized GUIs over C++, like the revisit one by example, ¿what do you recommend me?

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-03 3:38 PM (#14511 - in reply to #14495)
Subject: RE: Just two questions for Chris.

Developer

Hi Rafa,

reViSiT is completely written in C++. For the interface, it uses the CDrawContext and COffscreenContext objects from VSTGUI to create its interface from the pixel up - very few OS/VSTGUI widgets are used. This use of VSTGUI is done to facilitate a port to other operating systems down the road.

VSTGUI, as the name suggests, is designed for VST plugins, and might not be suitable for what you have in mind. It can also at times be cumbersome to code with/for/around. One day, reViSiT might move away from it all together. Good alternatives include wxWindows and fltk, which have also been used by VST plugins, but are usable elsewhere and are multi-platform. If platform independence isn't your thing, Windows GDI is the traditional Windows approach.

'Hope this helps,
Chris

rafa1981
Posted 2009-03-24 1:48 PM (#14621 - in reply to #14495)
Subject: RE: Just two questions for Chris.

Thanks by your response.

For me that I'm a communication engineer I'm used to backend programming, that's because I asked that, i only know hot to do interfaces with C#/C++ With CLR (Managed code), or Java.

I've also decided to program a simple additive synth and I think that in the beggining I will do the same as you, direct VST specification and VSTGUI, and then when i'll know how to program everithing, I will abstract a little from VST a nd I'll use IPlug from Cockos, or Juce.

By the way, Qt has gone LGPL recently, this can be of your interest in general programming if you were planning to use WxWidgets or Gtk.

Regards.
Rafa.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)