Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT v1.00.4 Pro now available!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-01 10:56 PM (#14498)
Subject: reViSiT v1.00.4 Pro now available!

Developer

UPDATE: Please note that v1.00.5 Pro has now been released, addressing a couple of issues introduced in this version. (03/03/09)

Hi Everyone,

Some of the code changes made to improve the graphics performance in v1.00.3 accidentally introduced a couple of bugs into the code that have been addressed in this small, but critical update.

In addition, it seems a couple of users are still suffering from an issue that I'd hoped was fixed in v1.00.3, loosely connected with sample playback and the sample list. This seems to be one problem, triggered by three different eventualities - two of which were dealt with in .3. This quick-fix release does does not include a fix for the elusive final glitch, but it will be a priority for me in the coming weeks.

Register for free / Download reViSiT v1.00.4 Pro from http://experiment.nashnet.co.uk.

'Hope you enjoy a slightly smoother reViSiT experience!

Best,
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-02 4:14 PM (#14501 - in reply to #14498)
Subject: Re: reViSiT v1.00.4 Pro now available!

Expert

Stuff below may also apply to .3, since I have been using a version prior to .3 up until today. (project deadlines, not taking any risks :P)

* I'm not too sure about the font smoothing.. :P Depends a bit on whether there is a font for a certain size available of course. In this case, my preferred font is PC Senior, size 10. The actual font is size 12 however, so I get a blurry font now, which is less comfy to look at. More concrete: I have not the choice between a 12-font which is sharp but way too big and a 10-font which is blurry. While I see the point of interpolating graphics, how about a checkbox to turn the font smoothing on/off? Another option would be to make a 10-font (or other small sizes for other people). I'm not really a vector font maker, but I can do fonts as bitmap perfectly. It is possible to do anything with these?

* Graphics updates seem *slightly* faster here, but they're still sluggish (track renaming, pattern resizing)

* Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what is the point of that small extra rect above the pattern column, that thing between the upsidedown ^ so to say.. (it's kinda obfuscating that area, I think)

perhaps more later
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-02 6:25 PM (#14502 - in reply to #14498)

Expert

* Mute and unmute some channels, and observe how the color remains dark

* Looks like SDx has gone to the dogs!

Due these two I can't use this version yet.. ._.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-02 11:00 PM (#14503 - in reply to #14502)

Developer

Re: Mute / unmute fading.

I don't know; fix one thing, and it breaks another. I've fixed the fix now, and have simply uploaded a new build to the website, to replace the current .4 offering. Just download .4 again.

Re: Fonts

I'll think about a font smoothing toggle - though you could disable font smoothing in Windows - reViSiT just uses the system default setting. You might also see if ClearType helps. For the fonts I tested, the smoothing significantly increases the clarity of most text at sizes that were previously unreadable, so you should at any rate find it easier to find another suitable font. On my system, I find Consolas and Lucida Console to be quite good - both fixed-width fonts.

Re: SDx

Not sure what you talking about here - none of the SDx code has changed in ages. Perhaps a slightly more helpful description? What type of dogs? What are you feeding them on?

Re: Missing something obvious.

Yes, in the help file (see "Channel Masks".

Re: Graphics performance.

The performance improvement is largely focused on pattern drawing. On some systems, it might feel more responsive, but in tests, the CPU load for operations like repeated scrolling, etc. dropped from 80-100% to 8-10% (most of which, I think, is Cubase). Your problem, I fear, is exactly that - something kooky with your system. My system feels über-responsive, while editing track names, and I haven't heard of any similar problems from other users. A couple of versions ago, I even turned off background updating (Pattern Editor updates, whilst in Order List) so that it might improve your situation. If it hasn't, let me know, and I'll turn it back on.

Regards,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-02 11:23 PM (#14504 - in reply to #14503)

Expert

SDx, a line containing an SDx isn't sent over via midi, and also doesn't shut down a previously playing note. (haven't tested the internal revisit synth, never did :P)
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-02 11:41 PM (#14505 - in reply to #14504)

Expert

As for captain obvious:

I'm still missing the point. Yes I know what channel masking is, you can safely assume that I know IT2 and IT2-tracking like my own pocket.. :P There is this open or filled cup symbol (flipped ^ character) *and* there are these small dots. I see 1 dot in a column with 1 cup (e.g. effects column), I see 2 dots in a column with 2 cups (e.g. volume column) 3 of both in the note column etc.. In short, once upon a time there were cups to show the masking, and now there are cups *and* dots doing the same thing! That's a bit like somebody sending me 2 bday postcards at the same day (which would btw make sense, today, March the 3rd). What I'm interested in is 'why an extra symbol?'. Where is the extra functionality or overview in that?
fegi
Posted 2009-03-03 7:06 AM (#14506 - in reply to #14502)

Veteran

CS_TBL - 2009-03-02 7:25 PM
* Looks like SDx has gone to the dogs!

hmm...i can confirm that SDx is not working as expected. at least on my system a note with this command is simply not played...
fegi
Posted 2009-03-03 8:58 AM (#14507 - in reply to #14506)

Veteran

this evening i'll try out some of the older versions to see when it last worked. i don't use this command too often, so i haven't noticed it earlier...

cs_tbl: is it the same behaviour on your system (note not being played), or does it behave differently?
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-03 11:59 AM (#14508 - in reply to #14507)

Expert

As said, an SDx'ed note isn't sent out over midi. And as the previous note isn't cut off, an SDx'ed note probably isn't processed by revisit at all.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-03 2:05 PM (#14509 - in reply to #14508)

Developer

If someone can establish which version SDx stopped working in, I'll try to have a go at it this evening, when I get home from work.

Chris

PS: Happy Birthday / Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, CS_TBL! (I don't know the Dutch version, so you'll have to make do with the German one - say it in a Sean Connery accent, and it should be close enough! ).
fegi
Posted 2009-03-03 4:39 PM (#14513 - in reply to #14509)

Veteran

ok...got it. the last working version is 1.00.2 --> it is broken in 1.00.3.
Arpad
Posted 2009-03-03 7:33 PM (#14514 - in reply to #14498)
Subject: RE: reViSiT v1.00.4 Pro now available!

1.00.04 seems to be stronger, thanx for this new release.
However, I've got some extra feature in my mind, dunno how important they may be:

(1) in the sample list when playing back a pattern, it would be good to see what samples are used
(for example the sample number flashes when sample is triggered)

(2) it would be useful to edit the sample loop markers with the mouse (drag them as you do with an instrument's volume envelope points), in the recent version you have to give the starting and ending positions.

(3) Question : Is there a way to manipulate loop start and loo end points of a sample from a pattern ?

Regards
Arpad
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-03 9:32 PM (#14516 - in reply to #14514)
Subject: RE: reViSiT v1.00.5 Pro now available!

Developer

New version out - hopefully fixing your SDx, etc. woes (without breaking something else). See the other thread.

Arpad, glad you're fairing better - thanks for your feedback in v1.00.x - you seem to have a unique ability to find the rough edges in earlier reViSiT versions! As for your suggestions:

Re: Sample activity display.

Yeah, this was a nice feature in IT2. I'll think about adding it - even though I only ever used it to work out which samples were never used in a module (and could thus be deleted).

Re: Mouse support for sample loop editing.

Again, another handy feature - one that should be possible to add in the not too distant feature (because it shouldn't be too hard!),

Re: On-the-fly loop editing.

I can see the creative advantages of this too, and you're not the only one to suggest this. I have grand plans for v2.0, and this might well become a possibility there.

'Hope this all helps!

Best,
Chris
Reactor Grits
Posted 2009-03-04 11:41 AM (#14520 - in reply to #14498)
Subject: RE: reViSiT v1.00.4 Pro now available!

Regular

the sample looppoints adjustable by mouse would be really nice to have. I also hope the options for editing samples in the sample editor will be soon available; great for some simple trimming and slicing without having to load samples in external wave editors and back to R.one step at a time though chris!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)