Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT v1.00.5 Pro now available!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-03 9:19 PM (#14515)
Subject: reViSiT v1.00.5 Pro now available!

Developer

Another day, another update. This one's not "critical", but nonetheless important if you use the SDx command (and, indeed, most other effects), or seem to be having trouble unmuting channels in the Pattern Editor.

In the former case, it seems one of the fixes in v1.00.3 Pro broke all the between row processing (notably SDx). As far as I can tell, I'd written perfectly reasonable code, but I get the impression that the (MS) compiler might have "optimised" it in a way that broke it.

Download from http://experiment.nashnet.co.uk.

Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 1:16 AM (#14522 - in reply to #14515)
Subject: Re: reViSiT v1.00.5 Pro now available!

Expert

*beep* *beep* Ritchie

Advanced Midi Settings popup isn't updated after selecting something, only when quiting that menu and hitting it again.
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 1:55 AM (#14523 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

More bugs (they all float down here)

There's a pattern update bug. If you input some notes here and there in your patterns, you go to a new pattern, you scroll horizontally to new tracks, then go back to the previous pattern, then you'll notice a few ghost notes being around. These are mere notes, no masked things. You can't delete or move them, probably because they're not physically there, they're just not wiped. So I suspect it's a mere visualization error.
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 2:50 AM (#14524 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

Wanna balloon?

Sometimes F5 won't play a song, it only shows the playback popup, but F7 still works. I dunno how to reproduce this bug, it just happens now and then.

The play button of the revisit vst panel then also doesn't work. Hitting the stop button gets rid of this lock-bug and everything gets normal again.

Edited by CS_TBL 2009-03-09 2:52 AM
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 3:27 AM (#14525 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

How could I have forgotten:

insert-behavior in the instrument list isn't great suddenly. I'd expect the normal text editor type o' behavior. Currently everything is overwritten, and pressing insert only moves a char to the right.
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 1:46 PM (#14526 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

As for the pattern update bug, these ghost notes need to have been scrolled off-screen, meaning: outside of the pattern window.
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 2:29 PM (#14528 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

Oh yes, they all float.

There's an odd bug that may have been around in recent versions as well. Sometimes, notes simply don't get played (or at least: not sent out over midi). I don't know how to reproduce it exactly though, but it usually happens some moment during playback, not at the start of the playback. For instance: I have 3 channels to form a chord (pad instrument in Halion3), at the end of a pattern there's some counterpoint movement with the pad notes and in the next (following) pattern a straight chord isn't played. When starting the song from that new pattern tho, the chord is played. It's not a Halion thing, I noticed something similar with FM8 earlier.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-09 6:07 PM (#14529 - in reply to #14528)

Developer

Hi CS_TBL,

Thanks for the feedback - though if you want to stop "floating" (?), you Dutch should lay of the weed!

Most of the problems were the result of the steps I've taken to improve thread safety. What that means is that the UI now takes a copy of the module data it wants to edit, edits the copy, and then at some point when it's safe, copies it back to the module. Trouble is, some of the ways the GUI worked means that reViSiT was sometimes getting confused about what it was working on, and not copying the right data back into your module.

I still need some more data on some issues before I release the update, but issue by issue:

Re: Advanced MIDI Settings

Fixed. This was where the settings dialog was working on the module data, and not the copy, but using the copy for display purposes. Should even be more thread-safe in the future.

Re: Pattern Update Bugs

I can't reproduce this problem. If you can establish an exact procedure (step by step, key by key, etc.) for me to follow, I'll stand a better chance of seeing what's going on.

Re: Play Song triggers

"Fixed." This isn't really a bug, but I've change the behaviour to be more intuitive. What happens is that Play Song (F5) wouldn't start a new song unless reViSiT was completely stopped. This meant that if any note trails or hanging notes were lingering around, even after pressing stop, it wouldn't start. reViSiT no longer waits for such audio activity to cease (though still won't override already playing patterns and songs), and also gives you a stronger stop feature, upon the second Stop (F8) command. This should also help with loading and saving (which also can't currently be done during playback).

Re: Overwrite vs. Insert in text boxes.

Fixed. This is due to the data copying process that I mentioned earlier being incompatible with the insert space code.

Re: Notes not playing.

I really need a demo module or exact procedure to reproduce this problem, before I can work out what's going on here. Sadly, I don't really have the time to write counterpoint to test each bug.

'Hope this helps,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 6:11 PM (#14530 - in reply to #14529)

Expert

Ah, you didn't get the "IT"-joke :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrScv7rEstE&feature=related

CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 6:42 PM (#14532 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

See the pic. It explains all. Pattern 001 is empty. In the 4th pic you can clearly see how a fake note pops up under the cursor, a block reveals it all (so does an AppResume).

(revisit1.00.5bug.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments revisit1.00.5bug.gif (93KB - 0 downloads)
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 6:50 PM (#14533 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

There, Ye olde MSX/Spectrum colors, how's that. :P
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-09 7:15 PM (#14535 - in reply to #14533)

Developer

Absolutely frickin' hideous - use a tissue next time, please.

Note to everyone else: this is not what reViSiT looks like - pattern display bug or no!

However, what skills CS_TBL lacks in aesthetics, he makes up for in bug reports (and the occasional ditty), so I'm now happy to confirm that the pattern display bug is sorted now, too - so, hopefully, no more phantom pattern entries.

I'm now just waiting on some feedback from another user before issuing v1.00.6 Pro.

Best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-09 7:51 PM (#14536 - in reply to #14515)

Expert

Of course, the whole idea: I had perfect screenshots, but my file was over 100kb, and this is the limit on this forum!

Tried greyscale, tried halfsize (files got bigger!) etc. So, I eventually tried GIF, and I happened to have an MSX/Spectrum palette in Photoshop at that moment.. :P
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)