Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting Started -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I love the concept
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting StartedMessage format

generic
Posted 2009-03-10 12:25 PM (#14539)
Subject: I love the concept

New user

I've been very interested in trying something that combines the flexibility of a traditional 'horizontal' sequencer with the precision of a tracker for some time. For example, a cross between Ableton Live and Renoise. reViSiT is the closest thing I've seen, however I will not be able to use it simply because of the resolution (or whatever you want to call it). I'm sorry but 4 rows/beat is useless to me, I'm used to tracking at 24 rows/beat due to the style of music I make (IDM...sort of) and I can't accept anything below that!

I should admit that I've only been playing with the software for about half an hour but it does seem to be the case that it's fixed at 4. Why is this? I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be an abitrary figure...! So I guess it's back to Renoise for now :/

Software seems great though and I love the idea - it's perfect!

cheers

alan
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-10 1:02 PM (#14540 - in reply to #14539)
Subject: RE: I love the concept

Developer

Hi generic,

Welcome to the forum!

Currently, the 4 rows per beat setting is fixed. This is done because reViSiT is designed to synchronise with the host in a manner that can be "intuitively" related to the host's own music. This means that playback is driven by beats (and tempo), instead of "frames" (sub-divisions of a single row). 4 rows per beat was the initial choice because this opens up the majority of common time signatures and allows easy access to music at semiquaver level, though a finer time control is obviously useful in many genres.

To this end, the "frames" still exist - they are the intervals at which tracker effects are processed. Using the Axx (Set Resolution) effect, it is possible to set the resolution of these (potentially very) fine divisions. Currently, these frames are only addressable through special row effects (SDx, SCx, Qxy, etc.), but a forthcoming version of reViSiT is planned where you will be able to edit these sub-row frames as though they were simply rows themselves. In addition to this feature, there might be another that simply allows you to set a global use <X> rows per beat setting.

See: http://www.nashnet.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3106&posts=17&start=1

Currently, I'm planning my attack on this and a number of other new features, that should appear in reViSiT in the coming months.

'Hope this helps,

Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)