Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting Started -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where can I find a "sampletank" of instruments for reViSiT ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting StartedMessage format

Dizzy Banjo
Posted 2009-03-16 10:53 PM (#14564)
Subject: Where can I find a "sampletank" of instruments for reViSiT ?

New user

I'm researching creating music for a Wii game at the moment and have ended up here on the reViSiT forum.

I need to provide my music in S3M format. However I don't have experience of this format. I have worked very extensively in conventional music sequencers, mostly Cubase and Nuendo, working purely in audio and MIDI.

I would like to create S3M files using reViSiT running as VSTi controlled by MIDI in Nuendo, then export them self contained as S3M for inclusion in the Wii game.

My question is : where can I get the equivalent of large sound sets ready to work with for reViSiT ? for instance a library of sounds similar to Sampletank, which I could load up easily and start composing quickly - or do I really need to load up every single sample into the software individually ?

Hope you might be able to help.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-17 9:28 AM (#14565 - in reply to #14564)
Subject: RE: Where can I find a "sampletank" of instruments for reViSiT ?

Developer

Hi Dizzy,

Welcome to the forum! To answer your specific question: there is not yet any dedicated support for sound sets in reViSiT, but you can load multiple samples at once simply by selecting multiple files in the Load Sample dialog (Ctrl-Left click the file).

A bigger stumbling block for you might be saving in S3M format, since reViSiT can only load (import) older tracker formats (MOD, S3M, XM, IT), not save in them. Instead reViSiT saves in its own open-format, comprising an XML file with the waveform data as .WAV, all collated and compressed into a ZIP file. It must do this as the other formats cannot fully encapsulate all the features of reViSiT music.

If you need to save in an older format, you should perhaps take a look at ModPlug Tracker, which I believe also has basic support for SoundFont files.

'Hope this helps,
Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-17 11:05 AM (#14568 - in reply to #14565)
Subject: Re: Where can I find a "sampletank" of instruments for reViSiT ?

Expert

What I find most shocking is that you actually have to provide your songs in S3M format.. what year are we in again? 2009? FMOD iirc supports .IT, and works on the WII.
Dizzy Banjo
Posted 2009-03-17 11:42 AM (#14569 - in reply to #14564)

New user

Hi Chris and CS_TBL,

Thanks for your kind replies.

It sounds like my sneaky idea of trying to bypass learning trackers isn't going to happen ! I'm actually looking forward to it really

So, my next questions would be :

1. The game is using FMOD, and I think the developer is flexible in file format. So anything that works with FMOD should be ok I guess ( including .IT ). Bearing that in mind, is there a particular tracker you would suggest for a total newcomer like me, who has a significant background in MIDI sequencing but no real background in tracking ? Modplug looks good in that it seems very windows dialog-esque. It would be good for me to be able to input notes via a MIDI keyboard really.

However is there a "leading tracker" which I should just bite the bullet and learn ? Renoise ?

2. I wondered what you thought about this as a workflow method :
- Creating songs in Nuendo, with my usual process - using conventional VSTi samplebanks.
- Exporting my own samples/instruments from those samplebanks once Im happy with the arrangement and mix
- Recreating the songs in a tracker

This would suit me quite well I think as I am very fast and flexible in a conventional sequencer and could respond very quickly during that stage to client requirements, but then once agreed could export everything in small granular parts and put it together in a tracker again.. does this sound feasible ? or are there any fundamental stumbling blocks there too ?

One key factor in this title is the filesize - the total music budget ( for over 30 x 2min repeating levels ) is 4Mb. So I expect I would have to keep my samples very small.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Dizzy

chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-17 3:28 PM (#14570 - in reply to #14569)

Developer

Hi Dizzy,

1. Well, the "leading tracker" is obviously reViSiT...

... but Renoise is also good, and somewhat more established. It follows the Fast Tracker-style, which has an alternative school of interface design to reViSiT (which is more of the Impulse Tracker-style). Like reViSiT, however, I believe it cannot save in older file formats.

ModPlug is somewhere in the middle, supporting both file formats and offering a perhaps more familiar Windows-style interface - but many customisable settings that can bring it closer to that of other trackers. It can save in older formats, so I think this is the one for you.

I was under the impression that most modern trackers support some form of MIDI note entry, but I'm no expert.

2. I'd say that was a good way of getting into tracking. You should find you'll be able to encapsulate your sound in a tracker module, and then you'll have a platform to discover what trackers can do on top of that. Your second step has been part of the standard workflow for a long time - tracker users would often write with MIDI synths, then sample them as tracker-based sample instruments, to make the song portable for release.

'Good luck!

Chris

chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-17 3:28 PM (#14571 - in reply to #14569)

Developer

Hi Dizzy,

1. Well, the "leading tracker" is obviously reViSiT...

... but Renoise is also good, and somewhat more established. It follows the Fast Tracker-style, which has an alternative school of interface design to reViSiT (which is more of the Impulse Tracker-style). Like reViSiT, however, I believe it cannot save in older file formats.

ModPlug is somewhere in the middle, supporting both file formats and offering a perhaps more familiar Windows-style interface - but many customisable settings that can bring it closer to that of other trackers. It can save in older formats, so I think this is the one for you.

I was under the impression that most modern trackers support some form of MIDI note entry, but I'm no expert.

2. I'd say that was a good way of getting into tracking. You should find you'll be able to encapsulate your sound in a tracker module, and then you'll have a platform to discover what trackers can do on top of that. Your second step has been part of the standard workflow for a long time - tracker users would often write with MIDI synths, then sample them as tracker-based sample instruments, to make the song portable for release.

'Good luck!

Chris

Dizzy Banjo
Posted 2009-03-17 5:22 PM (#14572 - in reply to #14564)

New user

Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for that. It's really valuable.

I think that workflow will suit me well as long as I can learn how to form instrument and get implementing the programming in the tracker quite quickly, which I guess is just practise and experience.

I had a look at ModPlug and yes it does seem the best for me in terms of interface. However I'm also asking the developer if I could use more modern formats which would be supported under FMOD, like .IT. If I can maybe I'll investigate other options.

Thanks again,

Dizzy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)