Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Version 1.0.8 - MIDI, again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & SupportMessage format

mos6502
Posted 2009-03-24 5:04 AM (#14617)
Subject: Version 1.0.8 - MIDI, again.

Thanks for the fixes, the MIDI triggering works great now! The S7z command works fine too. But now I've got another question :-)

The volume envelope seems to control everything on the MIDI channel a particular instrument is routed to. I would assume this behavior has to do with the fact volumes can't be controlled per note or channel when using MIDI (which we've discussed before). For example, if I put two essentially monophonic synth lines side-by-side in different reViSiT channels, and enable the volume envelope, I get some strange results - the two melodies end up linked together in terms of volume.

The problem is, every time I try to track MIDI instruments, I run into serious limitations when I go beyond a monophonic scenario. I can go polyphonic, but since volume changes and instrument envelopes remain essentially global, it's usually impossible to translate my musical intentions into the tracker, despite the superior interface.

For now I'll likely stick to using it as a drum sequencer. It's top notch in that department, and I'm sure if I were writing purely sample-based tunes that would be great too... might play around with that more.

Best regards,
Owen

And BTW... if anyone out there has any complex MIDI compositions created in reViSiT, and wouldn't mind sending them my way so I could examine them, that would be great!
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2009-03-24 9:31 AM (#14618 - in reply to #14617)
Subject: RE: Version 1.0.8 - MIDI, again.

Developer

As discussed in the other thread, MIDI can only be controlled with MIDI channel-level volume, panning and pitch fidelity - thus, if you put two instrument side-by-side in reViSiT, with different MIDI channels, they should not affect each other. However, it does depend on what's happening to the MIDI signals in the host and the synth(s) you're controlling. For example, you might have two instruments in reViSiT on different MIDI channels, but then the host ignores or overwrites the MIDI channel information in the messages it receives, before passing it on to the synths.

To check what MIDI channel your synth is being activated on, you can swap your synth for a MIDI monitor and make a note of the channels and messages its receiving:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MIDIMonitor/
http://www.freewebs.com/wallyaudio/VST-MIDI%20Monitor.htm (will display "C x blah blah", where x is the channel number)

Fixing a problem depends on how your host handles things, so I can't give specific recommendations, but you might have to look into filtering your MIDI streams in the host. You might also need to tell the synth what to listen for, for each voice. If you have more details of your setup, I might be able to shed some light on what is required.

Here are some posts/threads that might help:

http://www.nashnet.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2873&posts=13&highlight=midi%20filter&highlightmode=1#M13221
http://www.nashnet.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3101&posts=20&highlight=midi%20filter&highlightmode=2#M14474

The only other thing I can say, is that things worked out for the chap in the first thread, and he has become a big supporter, so if you need to talk to someone with complex MIDI arrangements - CS_TBL is usually to be found on the forum.

Good luck!
Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-24 11:19 AM (#14619 - in reply to #14617)
Subject: RE: Version 1.0.8 - MIDI, again.

Expert

It is I..

(195601_100002179510562_4059444_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 195601_100002179510562_4059444_n.jpg (5KB - 0 downloads)
mos6502
Posted 2009-03-24 11:06 PM (#14628 - in reply to #14617)
Subject: Re: Version 1.0.8 - MIDI, again.

I was trying to say that I can't really go polyphonic within a single VSTi synth (not two synths) without running into irritating limitations, mainly based upon the fact that volume envelopes and volume commands seem to have a global effect on a VSTi instrument (because volume/panning/pitch are controlled per MIDI channel, like you said), instead of per note (like traditional sample volume envelopes) or per reViSiT channel (like traditional volume commands in the pattern editor).

CS_TBL, are your VSTi's sample-based or do they have more in common with analog-style synths? Do you have to use a million extra MIDI channels to facilitate polyphony? This is really something I'd like to avoid having to do, because it's not unheard of for my compositions to have 10+ VST synths, all polyphonic, that would run into a lot of MIDI channels....!

Thanks,
Owen

mos6502
Posted 2009-03-24 11:08 PM (#14629 - in reply to #14617)

BTW, I read the linked threads. Isn't really getting me to the bottom of this, but I appreciate the extra info.

Thanks again,
Owen
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-03-24 11:16 PM (#14630 - in reply to #14629)

Expert

What I use is the simplest of the simplest: Halion for samples, FM8 for everything else. FM8 usage recently went up to 22 instances.. :P (see the songs-thread)

But, let me get this right, you are using the volume envelope of revisit to control the levels of your midi instruments?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)