Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Open Sourcing / code availability / developer community
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

rewbs
Posted 2009-06-01 2:15 PM (#14727)
Subject: Open Sourcing / code availability / developer community

New user

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find a post on the subject, so I'll just ask: is ReViSiT intended to remain "closed source", or is there a possibility that it might be opened up to any degree in the foreseeable future?

I really like the look of ReViSiT. It seems to have come a brilliantly long way since the last time I tried it. Being an OpenMPT person, I feel a little restricted when I can't dig into the code beneath the surface or contribute implementations of features/fixes that I find useful. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Robin
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2009-06-02 2:40 PM (#14728 - in reply to #14727)
Subject: RE: Open Sourcing / code availability / developer community

Developer

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your enthusiasm in the reViSiT project!

I have been asked about open-sourcing before, but perhaps not via the forum. The short answer is that there is no intention to make the source publicly available for the foreseeable future. Only in the event that I lose enthusiasm or interest in the project myself, or am otherwise unable to give it the attention it deserves, will I consider releasing the source - and this is not something I see in the "foreseeable future".

As you probably know, similar reasoning underpinned Olivier Lapicque's release of the ModPlug Tracker source, as OpenMPT, when he ran out of time to support the project himself. Yet time is also the motivator behind keeping my little project closed-source. I have so many exciting ideas for reViSiT - and not enough time to code them all. So, one of my medium-term goals is to make the project financially self-sufficient (albeit non-profit), so that I might spend some of my professional life on it. Recently, I learnt that Eduard Müller (taktik) is now able to spend most of his time on Renoise; and I'm hoping that, with a future commercial release of the Professional Edition, I might be able to convert a working-day, each week, to "part-time" that I can add to my "spare time". All I need now is an employer that is happy to have me and pay me for a 4-day week.

(Right now and for the coming year, the Professional Edition is supporting my academic research into interface design. The reViSiT Experiment is enabled by the fact that the Professional Edition is exclusively available to experiment participants - which wouldn't be an option, if I didn't have sovereignty over the source!)

Anyway, I hope this answers your question. Naturally, if you see something needing a "fix", let me know, and I'll get right on it - and, whereas reViSiT users can't do their own "digging", they have still shaped the program through feedback and suggestions, as I'm sure they will attest!

Best regards,
Chris
rewbs
Posted 2009-06-05 4:15 PM (#14729 - in reply to #14728)
Subject: Re: Open Sourcing / code availability / developer community

New user

Chris,

Understood. Thanks for your reply.
By the way, great to see a tracker interface undergo a serious HCI study!

Cheers,
Robin
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-06-05 4:51 PM (#14730 - in reply to #14729)
Subject: Re: Open Sourcing / code availability / developer community

Expert

Yeah, it was about time someone did :P

In my years of study (musictech), they usually looked down upon tracking, with arguments like "it's not in a format that allows co-writing, you'd be on your own with all that". They may have been true about that, otoh, I never had to co-write anything with anyone apart from 'forced co-writing projects' during study, which I ended up doing on my own anyway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)