Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Function as or export to formats: IT,.XM,,.S3M,, .MOD
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

alexlvoff
Posted 2009-06-14 3:35 PM (#14745)
Subject: Function as or export to formats: IT,.XM,,.S3M,, .MOD

New user

Hello,
It is very necessary - to save as or export to formats: *.IT, *.XM, *.S3M, *.MOD...
What not only import or loading, but also return process.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-06-14 7:27 PM (#14746 - in reply to #14745)
Subject: Re: Function as or export to formats: IT,.XM,,.S3M,, .MOD

Expert

Host tempo isn't stored in reViSiT (and probably reViSiT has no access to a DAW's tempo data anyway), so that's for a start already: an exported it/xm/s3m/mod would have *no* tempo info.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-06-15 1:34 PM (#14747 - in reply to #14746)

Developer

Actually, I might be able to fudge tempo export, as VST technically allows a plugin to ask the host for the tempo for a particular song position. The problem is locating tempo changes accurately and, perhaps more pertinently, coping with the VST hosts that don't support this particular VST feature. In any case, a default tempo could always be inserted (e.g. 120bpm), to be edited by the user later.

However, there are other problems associated with module export. For example, reViSiT allows you to specify a volume AND panning setting for any note, whereas older formats only allow one OR the other. And this is just one example of the problems of trying to export a reViSiT file in a format that can't encapsulate a reViSiT song - the technology has really moved on since the days of DOS trackers, some of which are over 20 years old! And I find it hard to imagine a large audience seeking this feature - are IT files still in widespread use? In any case, there are numerous forward-looking features that I'm more eager to code.

However, this may not be the last line in IT export support, in reViSiT. Knowing that some people might want to convert reViSiT songs to other formats, I designed reViSiT's file format to be as easily readable (by human and machine) as possible. It's simply an XML file (with samples as WAVs) packaged in a ZIP archive, so it should be relatively simple for a third-party developer to read reViSiT files and code their own IT/XM/MOD convertors. If anyone wants to take a shot at it, I'm happy to answer any technical questions they might have.

Best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2009-06-15 3:30 PM (#14748 - in reply to #14747)

Expert

Some indie games use mod-style formats as they tend to be small (and thus making the game an easier download). But alas, at some point in time I think people don't care about an indie game being 4MB or 40MB.. :P
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)