Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT v1.2 Pro now available!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2009-09-06 8:25 PM (#14819)
Subject: reViSiT v1.2 Pro now available!

Developer

Hello everyone,

I'm delighted to be able to present you with reViSiT v1.2 Pro, featuring a number of new features that will, among other things, give you greater control of time...

• High Definition Editing ("Pattern Zoom" / subrow editing)
    Now, you can edit your music beyond the level of the pattern row - placing note, volume or panning entries and effects on the tracker frames, between the rows. Using the pattern resolution (Axx effect), you can vary the number of frames and subrows for each row, dividing it into up to 32 discrete slices (A20). Holding Ctrl and scrolling the mouse wheel, you can vary the level of zoom, to show the subrows for the current row, and those around it. And, by default, the zoom mode switch (Ctrl-#) is set up to quickly switch between normal view and subrow editing.

• High Resolution Timing (Rows per Beat)
    Alternatively, to increase the resolution without the use of subrows, you can simply change the number of tracker rows that reViSiT uses for each musical beat in the host. Whereas in the past this was fixed at 4, you can now set this anywhere between 1 and 16 - effectively varying the pattern speed between 1/4 to 4x of the normal rate. Combined with subrow editing and tempo variation in the host, this allows you to time notes and musical events with a fidelity less than 1/2500th of a second... making reViSiT perfect for even the most demanding musical genres!

• "New-look" Pattern Editor
    The Pattern Editor has been overhauled to accomodate these features, improving the appearance, accuracy and visibility of numerous features, as well as introducing the new reViSiT Logo. To complement being able to zoom in to subrow editing, it is also now possible to zoom out, to get a wider view at you music. For those working on the keyboard, you can alternate between your two favourite zoom settings, by pressing Ctrl-# - reViSiT remembers where you were whenever you switch.

Check the release notes for a full list of changes, but otherwise let me know how you get on! 

Download reViSiT v1.2 Pro from http://www.nashnet.co.uk/experiment/download.asp.
(not registered? Register for free, as part of the reViSiT Experiment)

Enjoy!
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-06 9:17 PM (#14821 - in reply to #14819)
Subject: Re: reViSiT v1.2 Pro now available!

Expert

* totally aroused
* totally downloading
* totally testing

hold on ^^
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-06 9:55 PM (#14822 - in reply to #14821)

Expert

First impressions, without making a song:
- I got confirmed from some UK-guy on IRC that UK-keyboards have a real #-key (next to Enter, in his case). My keyboard has a # symbol as shift-3. So, apart from the ctrl-scrollwheel option (which I find little useful as it kinda defeats tracking/keyboard workflow) I can't use your ctrl-# shortcut (also not: ctrl-shift-3, which would be awkward anyway). There's no way to change that in the current shortcut editor either. How about ctrl-[1] ? Or otherwise, make it configurable!
- I think all *I* need is the +1 mode for zooming in, that lens-kinda zoom feels a bit alien.. :P
- Navigation in general feels a bit odd when zooming in. I dunno, have you tried to make a quick test tune yourself with this zooming feature? Perhaps there could be an option like: "switch back to 100% when moving to another row", as I *expect* people to use zooming incidentally rather than structurally.
- when zooming in, the effectcolumnvalue shows dots instead of numbers, the cursor shows a number tho. (so it's a bit like that bug from half a year ago, I reckon)

But I'll test some more!

ps. according to the readme.txt:

[ADD] * Pattern Zoom Out (Ctrl-# / Ctrl-Scrollwheel), for
shrinking the text to see more of the pattern.
[ADD] * Pattern Zoom In (Ctrl-# / Ctrl-Scrollwheel), for
exploding them to see editable subrows (frames).

ctrl-# for both zooming in *and* out??

Edited by CS_TBL 2009-09-06 10:05 PM
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-06 10:35 PM (#14823 - in reply to #14822)

Expert

bug: pattern-editor redraw (that new HasContentInSubRows-bar) error when the track colorpick dialog is up. It even caused a crash here (which I didn't bother to send :-) ), which I couldn't reproduce so far.
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-06 11:51 PM (#14824 - in reply to #14819)

Expert

effect column value interpolation (alt x) doesn't work, twice only wipes the effect command + value of the host-row.

volume column idem. + volume amplify (ctrl-j) doesn't work on subrows.

The next is purely a matter of trying how this whole zoom thing works, but first impressions are:
- I really miss a means to go to the host row in one go, something like 1x page-up goes to the host row, or something.
- page dn on a subrow moves to the respective row, but positions the cursor in the same subrow. Except when the subrows don't match. If row 0 has 8subs and row 16 has 4 subs, you're located @ row 0 sub 7 then you end up in the next host rows, equivalent to the remainder of the modulo. So, row 0 A08 and being on subrow 7, a page down to row 16 A04 means I end up on row 18. (are you still with me? ) To cut a long story short: reposition the cursor onto the host row in these cases.
- if the patternwindowheight is shorter than the pattern + subows of the last hoststep, then there's an offset bug: move to the last subrow of the last hoststep (usually 63), then page-up to the top. The cursor is now out of the window.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-09-07 9:30 AM (#14825 - in reply to #14823)

Developer

Hi CS_TBL,

Just quickly, as I'm going to be away for a week:

The Ctrl-# (Switch/Alternate Zoom Mode) shortcut key is user-definable, under the Pattern Editor section, in the Key Shortcuts. The shortcut allows you to effectively bookmark two view/zoom settings. The default is 100%/+1 to switch between normal view and subrow editing, but you can change this by zooming the view. Then, you can press Ctrl-# to switch to your alternate zoom setting, allowing you to have a detail-view and an macroscopic-view.

I don't care how many smilies you put on it: if you get a crash and can't be bothered to send the crash report then you're on your own.

The dots in the effect column are intentional, since these effect values behave a little differently. Normal row effects only last as long as the entry (.00 cancels the effect), but subrow effects will just change the effect for that row, more like a volume/panning entry. I may make this more explicit in the future.

I'll look into interpolate, etc. when I get back, but they're pretty anyway moot without subrow selections. You might look at Alt-cursors if you want to move to normal rows whilst in subrow view.

Anyway, I'm not around 'til Monday earliest, so if you have any problems, I've left the previous release available from the website.

Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-07 9:50 AM (#14826 - in reply to #14825)

Expert

Ok, I've changed the shortcut to ctrl-1 (didn't actually know how to use that shortcut editor, had no idea it was some sorta tree you had to open :P), and it seems it runs the way it should now, I think.
Reactor Grits
Posted 2009-09-07 6:24 PM (#14827 - in reply to #14819)
Subject: RE: reViSiT v1.2 Pro now available!

Regular

Great release chris. there's just one thing that scared me a bit: the keymapping of the instruments isn't saved anymore with a project! since I use keymapping a lot for breaks etc, this is quite essential for me so I will stick with 1.14 until you'll have the time to look into this. for the rest, started using 128 row patterns again at double speed, so it's just like I used to run things in impulse tracker now. and yes, it's a bliss!
Arpad
Posted 2009-09-11 8:49 PM (#14828 - in reply to #14819)
Subject: RE: reViSiT v1.2 Pro now available!

Hi Chris! Revisit is still a unique application, so I decided to prepare a decent article
'bout it for my hungarian website (www.softsynth.hu). I will email you when this review is finished.

Keep Tracking!
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-11 9:30 PM (#14829 - in reply to #14828)

Expert

Arpad: how about mentioning my youtube page? That's -afaik- the only video material of reViSiT on the net, so far.

www.youtube.com/user/mvsmsx
Arpad
Posted 2009-09-12 8:09 AM (#14830 - in reply to #14829)

Thanx for the info! Every known stuff will be mentioned - including your site!
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-14 11:10 PM (#14831 - in reply to #14830)

Expert

bug: In Cubase the Pattern Editor disappears when clicking another part of cubase. When clicking the (e) button in the VST Instruments list, you can see the pattern editor come and go in a split second. You really have to use the pattern editor button of the floating rev.bar to get the pattern editor back.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-09-15 11:40 AM (#14832 - in reply to #14831)

Developer

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll try to address the keymap problems as soon as I can, but I'm away from my main development computer at the moment, and don't know how much mileage I'll be able to get out of my puny laptop.

In the meantime, I'm look forward to the article, Arpad!

Cheers,
Chris

CS_TBL:

This is not a bug, but a side-effect of Cubase's "special" window management. The editor window is probably not being closed, but hidden behind the Cubase window - and should still be visible in the windows toolbar. One workaround for this is to use reViSiT's Always-on-Top feature. Another is to use the global shortcut Ctrl-Alt-R or Ctrl-Alt-F2, to bring reViSiT to the front. Cubase also has it's own plugin Always on Top feature, accessed by right clicking on the thin blue strip above the reViSiT toolbar, but this might make things better or worse. However, if you still have problems, trying experimenting with this setting.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-09-16 9:46 PM (#14833 - in reply to #14832)
Subject: reViSiT v1.2.1 Pro now available!

Developer

reViSiT 1.2.1 Pro is now available, including a couple of small fixes for 1.2:

http://www.nashnet.co.uk/experiment/download.asp

Enjoy!
Chris
Reactor Grits
Posted 2009-09-16 11:05 PM (#14834 - in reply to #14819)
Subject: RE: reViSiT v1.2.1 Pro now available!

Regular

it's working, you're zhe man!
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-18 9:42 PM (#14837 - in reply to #14834)

Expert

About the window thing, something did change with regards to this since 1.1.4. It wasn't like that with all the versions before 1.2 (that is, ever since I started testing/using). I tried all the 'always on top' options, but no luck. I really prefer the behavior of previous versions here.
virtjk
Posted 2009-09-18 10:13 PM (#14838 - in reply to #14819)

Man, Chris, this is an impressive new version. I'm always thrilled to see version update emails. I should have music to show soon which uses the Mapped MIDI mode -- I'm also planning to use it for an upcoming demo party "streaming music" competition entry. Has ReViSiT produced any 1st place songs yet in demoscene compos? It's a big milestone, so ..with any luck... my competitors will all suffer from unfortunate accidents.

(Thanks also to people like CS_TBL for continually suggesting even small usability enhancements; these make all the difference to us "lifetime trackers", for whom the devil is in the details.)
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-18 10:20 PM (#14839 - in reply to #14819)

Expert

Shared #1 position on this forum: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50592&start=0

(The Night Shift, it's all FM8, and apart from the sax and the muted trumpet thing it's reViSiT)
virtjk
Posted 2009-09-18 10:26 PM (#14840 - in reply to #14819)

Ha, congrats. Well-deserved.
If I win at this party, I'll pick up the microphone and give a shout-out to ReViSiT, maybe get some Renoise guys to come check us out, admitting the error of their FT2-style interface ways. (I am kidding, but only slightly)
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-18 10:36 PM (#14841 - in reply to #14819)

Expert

You'd be stepping into an endless snake pit if you're starting a revisit/it vs renoise/ft discussion! These tracker feuds were almost of religious proportions back in the 90's, and some of those were actually caused by coders who hated to make an IT-player with full NNA support and all the other details. *

When I was competing in the music compo of Wired '97 in Belgium, they played my IT contribution using a player which did *not* play IT files correctly. To name something, it didn't support global channel volumes, which I used for echo channels. In this fine case, the 4 echo channels of my lead guitar were played as loud as the dry version, resulting in 5 loud channels playing a lead guitar (the overdrive kind) all together, resulting in one loud mess up causing ppl to cover their ears. I believe I ended up 5th nonetheless. :P It shows that in that period not even programmers hated IT, it was sort of ignored by party organizers who intended to play everything in one player, whether it could play back .IT completely or not.

* Oooooooh.. the memories ^___^
virtjk
Posted 2009-09-18 10:47 PM (#14842 - in reply to #14819)

Hahaha, I participated in that war in the 90s too It was worse than even Mac/PC... I believe Sweden actually declared war on Finland at one point over this, many lives were lost. It's funny to look back on it now, "MilkyTracker vs Schism Tracker" doesn't have the same ring to it.

My latest thing is convincing party organizers to disable sample interpolation and volume-ramping for my song alone, since I write Nintendo chiptunes. They ended up letting us supply our own machine to play the song back, so I just borrowed someone's Win98 machine and properly ran IT2.15.
chrisnash
Posted 2009-09-18 11:50 PM (#14843 - in reply to #14837)

Developer

'Glad to see people like the new version - it's always good to see some banter on the forum!

Maarten, re: window thing. I can't imagine what could have changed - I'm pretty sure that none of the related code has changed at all. To see if it might be something in your host/system, have you tried going back to 1.1.4 to see if it's still behaving as you expect?

Best,
Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-19 12:46 AM (#14844 - in reply to #14843)

Expert

Ok, this is annoying. I've been using 1.1.4 all summer and revisit since spring 2006, and the rev window (the pattern editor, not the small window) *never* disappeared like that. I wiped all rev DLLs from my plugin dir. Yes, I know you're going to protest about that, but during all the tests from the last years I had renamed versions like 0.93revisit.dll, 0.92revisit.dll, stablerevisit.dll etc. This was to ensure that I could quickly switch to another version to compare bugs 'n things. It has never bugged me whatsoever. Now, I moved all these versions to a backup dir somewhere else, and did a clean c/p of 1.1.4. And now the window disappears, in all 'always on top' combinations. Suddenly I loose my 1.1.4 window (first time I noticed this was with 1.2), and *keeping* the window is essential for things like syncing with film. For years it ran perfect!
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-19 12:50 AM (#14845 - in reply to #14819)

Expert

Currently running 0.93revisit.dll

started with your warning

got an error actually (?)

but the window stays!
CS_TBL
Posted 2009-09-19 12:54 AM (#14846 - in reply to #14819)

Expert

1.00.5 (clean filename, only revisit in the dir) : window stays (but color of the window gets more grey, as it should, when clicking somewhere else)

1.00.7 also works as it should. Btw, all these revisit windows start with v1.2 size, resulting in the larger part of the older revisit window being grey at start. A resize cures this, but obviously the window size is stored. somewhere.. (?). Minor issue from the past.. nm.

1.1.1 also works its windows as it should..

1.1.2 also ok

Edited by CS_TBL 2009-09-19 1:03 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)