Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sample Sets
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2009-12-16 11:06 AM (#14937)
Subject: Sample Sets

Developer

Hi everyone,

One thing I feel might be discouraging to new users is the lack of any samples to start their song with. Therefore, I'd like to provide a small collection of samples or instruments on the download page, to ease a novice's introduction to the program - something like the ol' ST-01 sample collection.

Obviously, I don't have the time to be crafting samples myself, so I was wondering if anyone had a lead on a suitable set of royalty-free samples, on the Internet. Just "bread-and-butter" stuff, to help people get started.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Chris
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reactor Grits
Posted 2009-12-27 4:31 PM (#14966 - in reply to #14937)
Subject: RE: Sample Sets

Regular

dnbwiki for free samples

this will get you started! Just test some and compile a couple of good samples in a pack right for usage with ReViSiT noobs

Edited by Reactor Grits 2009-12-27 4:32 PM
lackluster
Posted 2010-01-03 4:33 PM (#14970 - in reply to #14937)

Regular

chrisnash - 2009-12-16 1:06 PM Hi everyone, One thing I feel might be discouraging to new users is the lack of any samples to start their song with. Therefore, I'd like to provide a small collection of samples or instruments on the download page, to ease a novice's introduction to the program - something like the ol' ST-01 sample collection. Obviously, I don't have the time to be crafting samples myself, so I was wondering if anyone had a lead on a suitable set of royalty-free samples, on the Internet. Just "bread-and-butter" stuff, to help people get started. Any ideas? Cheers, Chris

this is a clever idea. will it be samples, or instruments - i.e., will it be raw samples that allow the user to break-into the concept of instruments, volume envelopes and so forth, or? one ideal thing would be for all the samples to be relatively in tune.

Edited by lackluster 2010-01-03 4:34 PM
chrisnash
Posted 2010-01-06 12:09 AM (#14973 - in reply to #14970)

Developer

RG:

Thanks for the links! I've found some other useful samples at http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html.

Lackluster:

The general idea is to have ready-to-go instruments, but I'll think about providing them in a raw sample format as well (e.g. non-multisample versions) - and perhaps even add an instrument-building tutorial to the help documenation. Of course, if I provide the instruments, the original samples will be available inside the .zip file. In any case, the sample files will be pre-tuned to useful sample rates, to make it easier for everyone.

Best,
Chris
Reactor Grits
Posted 2010-01-07 12:08 PM (#14974 - in reply to #14973)

Regular

I see, very good to have some more classic instruments in such a pack as well, since the link I gave mostly gives access to drums/breaks/stabs/dance material. Instrument building in ReViSiT is also a thing I do a lot (multisampled breaks etc) since the days I used IT, and imo much more flexible than a general softsampler since it's only loading the samples in and assign them with some keyboard strokes instead of endless dragging blocks over a keyboard with a mouse. Still, in IT I found it handy to see in the sample/instrument list a dot next to the instrument that would light up when it is hit while playing. It makes locating samples in big muiltisampled instruments and out of place ones easy and speeds up your workflow quite a bit, any chance of implementation of this before the experiment ends chris?
lackluster
Posted 2010-01-07 1:04 PM (#14975 - in reply to #14974)
Subject: Re: Sample Sets

Regular

I strongly second the dot on sample played. Fingers crossed
Reactor Grits
Posted 2010-01-07 3:55 PM (#14976 - in reply to #14975)
Subject: Re: Sample Sets

Regular

that reminds me, a possibility to import RX2 files as instruments in ReViSiT would be, well... LARGE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)