Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

some thoughts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

Offensive Newbie
Posted 2010-02-12 9:38 PM (#15066)
Subject: some thoughts

My english isn't that good but I hope you'll understand!

Chris I really like what you are doing here and I completely agree with your philosophy about impulse tracker and user interfaces. Years ago I loved ST3 and then IT and did lot of stuff with those. But later I moved to cubase/sonar/whatever like many did. I hated the piano roll but learned to live with it but after moving from trackers I always felt I lost some creativity and I feel that all that configuring and hassling with windows distracts the actual work.

I also always hated ft2 style interface. Too much clutter and irrelevant information on screen. IT always felt more like an extension for my arm instead of a tool aand I was much likely to get a flow experience with IT.

I have grown fat and lazy and I haven't really done music much for some time which is a bit sad since I really would like to give revisit a serious try. I hope this would gain more popularity but it might be hard. I think the people who use sequencers and daws are just happy with them, newbies start with Fruity and that 'advanced fast tracker' (what was the name of it) already has a well established community?

Maybe we could just coerce people to use this and spam all forums.

Theoretically speaking I have found piano roll to be very useful for some tasks. Chords and voice leading for example and well because of piano roll its easy to see whats going on and tweak it. I am wondering if it would be possible to some piano roll user interface that can effectively used with keyboard only. (not a feature request).

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2010-02-12 11:46 PM (#15067 - in reply to #15066)
Subject: RE: some thoughts

Developer

I wouldn't worry about your English - it's nigh-on perfect!

And I think you'll find a lot of people feel the same as you about music software - some of the things you mention are what motivated me to do my PhD. There's something scientific afoot here, and I'm out to nail it down and show industry what they're missing.

It'd be nice if reViSiT took off, like Renoise, but I'll be happy just to find some time to use it myself at some point. I listen to some of my half-done IT tunes every now and then and think what I could make of them with reViSiT, backed up by all the bells and whistles of Cubase. I had a listen to some of the mp3's on your site too - some really nice melodies and harmonies, with loads of energy (not sure about the goats and vegetarian dictators, mind ). It'd be cool if you could add some banging tunes to the reViSiT collection at some point!

As for the piano roll, this has traditionally been associated with mouse editing - even kinda coming into reViSiT 1.3, in this capacity - but, in sequencers, it's just a grid, like the tracker pattern, so there's nothing to stop Steinberg adding decent cursor support and turning it into a keyboard-friendly interface. Maybe, one day, I'll extend the keyboard in reViSiT 1.3's Info Bar ('?') - I do miss that dots display from IT2's Info Page...
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)