Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

instrument library
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

fegi
Posted 2010-04-20 7:06 PM (#15080)
Subject: instrument library

Veteran

whoaaa...amazing news in your development blog chris!!!

regarding the instrument library: do you already know which instrument formats revisit will be able to load?
how can we imagine the instrument preview function to work?

greetings,

fegi
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2010-04-20 7:29 PM (#15081 - in reply to #15080)
Subject: RE: instrument library

Developer

Hey, Garth,

The instrument library will look very similar to the sample library screenshot provided, and will also have the ability to rip instruments out of any of the module formats that reViSiT can load (.ZIP, .IT, .S3M, .XM, .MOD). reViSiT can already load and save its own instruments individually to disk - it creates a .zip container, inserts all relevant samples and an "Instrument.xml" file to describe the settings. The initial release will only support other formats if they are contained in a module - though there are plans to later support various dedicated tracker instrument file formats (.ITI, .XI, etc.) and eventually professional sampler patch formats (AKAI, SoundFont, etc.).

The preview functionality will allow you to use the keyboard to audition the current highlighted sample/instrument, while simply browsing through the files, folders and modules - you'll have full pitch control during such auditions, so it's not just limited to listening to the sample/instrument at its original sample frequency. At some point, I'll extend this to allow MIDI input, so that you can audition with full pitch and volume/velocity control.

'Hope this answers your questions...

Party On!
Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2010-04-20 8:55 PM (#15082 - in reply to #15080)
Subject: Re: instrument library

Expert

hum.. just piping in to ask whether that eagerly awaited and important '3-char abbreviation'-feature will be in 1.4 .. :-)
chrisnash
Posted 2010-04-21 12:51 AM (#15083 - in reply to #15082)

Developer

*groan* Yes, Maarten, there is a new pattern copy feature too... but as punishment for hijacking Fegi's thread, I'm thinking of disabling the shortcut on Dutch keyboards...

fegi
Posted 2010-04-22 10:15 AM (#15084 - in reply to #15081)

Veteran

chrisnash - 2010-04-20 8:29 PM

The initial release will only support other formats if they are contained in a module - though there are plans to later support various dedicated tracker instrument file formats (.ITI, .XI, etc.) and eventually professional sampler patch formats (AKAI, SoundFont, etc.).

Thanks for your answer chris. We're not worthy! I'm very looking forward to this feature, as I personally don't like today's sampler interfaces. Being that I'm a hobby musician and not a professional, I don't care about most features these programmes have to offer and therefore their interfaces seem cluttered to me. I still have the feeling, that everytime i have to fiddle with a sampler i'm distracted from actually making music.

Extreme Close-up! What I liked most about FT2 and sk@le tracker was their possibility to quickly load/replace instruments with one click - Schwing! - while browsing your local harddisk for the suiting one and all of this during song/pattern playback, so one could immediately listen to the result and how it fits the other instruments.

I have many AKAI/Soundfont Instrument Discs lying around i would like to use. Regarding the initial release of the instrument library feature i personally think it feels a bit too incomplete without being able to load one single instrument format (whichever it will be). I personally would prefer any professional sampler format, rather to .XI, .ITI etc., as there are many good instrument conversion tools out there.

But of course i know that it will take time to develop this And i promise i will wait patiently. I'm just very excited, that these features are finally added to revisit! Schwing!

I'm curious what other users think about this...

greetings,

fegi
CS_TBL
Posted 2010-04-22 10:50 AM (#15085 - in reply to #15084)

Expert

While I won't be using reViSiT's internal samples/instruments, let's pipe in again by saying that in the old days of IT2 I frequently tested samples by browsing/loading. The reality of today -at least my reality- is that I craft my sounds in the synths/samplers I'm using. In the old days of browsing/loading a bass sample, the actual bass sound was hard to get right. Some just missed a bit o' punch, others were too muddled, others were too bright, others were too lo-fi etc. so you kept browsing and thus it was important to have a good browse/test facility. But when today a bass isn't right, in FM8 for instance, I just tweak some parameters and it'll be right. I rarely need to change instruments once loaded/setup in my plug-ins. But, well, that's me alright..

And let's close with three important characters: MPC!
Reactor Grits
Posted 2010-04-22 2:50 PM (#15086 - in reply to #15080)

Regular

such bliss... previewing samples in RV with the qwerty keyboard! very nice chris, one of those features RV was in great need of. good luck writing your thesis!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)