Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky File Format Support
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

File Format Support
OptionAdded byResults
AIFFchrisnash1 Votes - [10%]
FLACchrisnash2 Votes - [20%]
ITSchrisnash1 Votes - [10%]
ITIchrisnash1 Votes - [10%]
XIchrisnash1 Votes - [10%]
SoundFont 2.0chrisnash3 Votes - [30%]
MP3Reactor Grits1 Votes - [10%]
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

chrisnash
Posted 2010-12-08 1:32 PM (#15184)
Subject: File Format Support

Developer

One plan for v1.5 Pro, is to extend the number of file formats that reViSiT can import - for samples, instruments and songs. A major addition that has already been implemented, in this coming release, is MIDI file import. Use this poll to vote for other file formats you'd also like to see in reViSiT.

If there's a format you'd like to see that doesn't appear in the list, you can add it to the poll. The results will help me decide which to add now  and in the near future - but please note that some formats have licensing restrictions on how they can be used.

reViSiT currently supports:

ModulesMOD, S3M, XM, IT, native (.ZIP)
Samples*WAV, native (.ZIP)
Instruments*               native only (.ZIP)

(* as well as importing individual samples/instruments from modules.)

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2010-12-08 2:33 PM (#15185 - in reply to #15184)
Subject: Re: File Format Support

Expert

How would this midi import work? You scan track 01 for the max polyphony and reserve that amount of channels in the pattern editor? Then scan track 02 for the max polyphony and reserve channels again?

Or is everything mixed up?
chrisnash
Posted 2010-12-08 3:05 PM (#15186 - in reply to #15185)

Developer

The first one: the code scans the whole MIDI file, works out how many tracker channels are needed per MIDI channel, then reserves them. Effectively, you're talking 64 note polyphony, but this will eventually become more like 64-voice multitimbrality, once multiple pitches per channel is coded.

It's the time dimension that gets tricky - deciding what stretches of MIDI music to put in each pattern. The code tries to use all the key signature changes, time signature changes, etc. that it can find in the file, to define the boundaries, but otherwise tries to put music in groups of 4 bars. Some MIDI files are tidier than others, of course, so down the road I'll think about some features to help tidy up the MIDI bar to pattern mappings.

Oh, and it's not "how would it work", it's "how does it work". I've already tested it against about 45,000 MIDI files - with very positive results!

It should make light work of remixes - then, again, I'm not sure I wanted to make things easier, as then where's the challenge?
CS_TBL
Posted 2010-12-08 4:01 PM (#15187 - in reply to #15186)

Expert

Multiple pitches per channel wouldn't solve everything, would it? Afaik each note in a midi file can have its own velocity, and currently - if you only add multiple pitches - chords share one volume entry.
chrisnash
Posted 2010-12-08 5:11 PM (#15188 - in reply to #15187)

Developer

True, but in cases where velocities don't match I have the option of averaging the velocity or distributing them over multiple tracker channels. Anyway, that's an implementation issue, for when the time comes.
fegi
Posted 2010-12-29 8:25 AM (#15207 - in reply to #15184)

Veteran

soundfont 2.0 support would be very, very awesome
fegi
Posted 2012-01-09 12:53 PM (#15307 - in reply to #15184)

Veteran

any news regarding this?
chrisnash
Posted 2012-01-09 3:17 PM (#15308 - in reply to #15307)

Developer

I was actually looking at the SF2 file format specification just the other day. Can't see any specific difficulties (the format is designed to allow programs to cherrypick the features it supports) - Creative still appear good at supporting developers (with sample code, test files, etc.). Also, the format itself is similar to that used by Microsoft's WAV files (RIFF), which reViSiT already supports. So, I will certainly be adding SF2 support.

However, there are a number of other reViSiT features which must be completed first. So, for now, we'll call it a v2.0 feature. reViSiT v2.0 development ("Manhattan") is already underway, and there will be closed alpha and beta versions in the coming months, and public versions hopefully before the end of the year - but I can't yet say where SF2 support will fall in that timeframe.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)