Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you work with Midi CCs in Revisit?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & SupportMessage format

fegi
Posted 2011-08-17 2:53 PM (#15275)
Subject: How do you work with Midi CCs in Revisit?

Veteran

Hi!

I personally find it still very hard to understand how the different midi CCs work and actually don't use them a lot at the moment

I have the feeling that e.g. Note Slides always behave a bit different. It is also very hard to find out which VSTi's support which MIDI CC - for example some Instruments in the Standard Kontakt Library support Note Slides, others don't. Free VSTi's are often not very well documented - is it still possible to know which CCs are supported and which are not - without trial/error procedure?

How is it possible to use different Midi CCs at the same time (eg. Cutoff, Resonance)? How does one know which values to use - dec or hex? Which Midi CCs are actually the most important?

I'm a bit lost here. Can anyone explain these things to me or point me to some good documentation?

thank you and greetings,

fegi
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2011-08-17 4:04 PM (#15276 - in reply to #15275)
Subject: RE: How do you work with Midi CCs in Revisit?

Developer

Hi fegi,

MIDI CC's can be confusing, because different synth manufacturers use them for different purposes. To match a CC number to a synth's function, you basically need to look at the synth's own MIDI specification (usually in its manual). Some common mappings are suggested by the main MIDI Specification, and these are listed in the brackets in reViSiT, but it's up to synth manufacturer to follow them.

The parameters for a MIDI CC message are 7-bit (0 to 127), which are specified in reViSiT using hex (00 to 7F), in the effect column. However, you might find that a synth will only respond to a smaller range, for specific functions.

The documentation I use may be a bit technical for general use, but does give a detailed description of the standard controllers (CC's): http://www.blitter.com/~russtopia/MIDI/~jglatt/tech/midispec.htm

Note slides do behave differently in MIDI - basically, midi notes retain their original pitch and just bend it within a given range, whereas reViSiT simply changes the pitch of the original note. Fortunately, reViSiT includes code that should allow you to use normal tracker effects with MIDI voices - Exx, Fxx, Gxx, etc. - as you would with samples. If this doesn't seem to work, you may need to tell reViSiT a bit about the synth - notably the Pitch Bend Range and, possibly, the Pitch Bend Resolution (7-bit or 14-bit) that it is using. These should also be listed in the synth's documentation (or, possibly, its settings screens). Note, that because of the way MIDI works, you cannot bend a pitch beyond the Pitch Bend range (2 or 3 octaves) and slides may not be very smooth, unless you either limit the range or increase the resolution to 14-bit (if supported by your synth).

It can be quite daunting at first, but you should get the hang of it reasonably quickly... depending on the synth's documentation. Let me know how you get on, or if you have any specific troubles. CS does a lot of advanced MIDI control with reViSiT and FM8, so he might also be able to lend a hand.

'Hope this helps,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2011-08-17 4:26 PM (#15277 - in reply to #15276)
Subject: Re: How do you work with Midi CCs in Revisit?

Expert

Pick an undefined controller (like #102) for CC slot 1 in an instrument (e.g. instrument 01)

put this in a pattern

C 4 01 .. 17F

set up your plugin for MIDI learn

play the pattern

If all went well, the CC is now linked to a function of your plugin.

Do the same again for another controller, e.g. CC slot 2 with #103.

I just did this, have filter at #102 and reso at #103.

Now to use both at the same time:

| C 4 01 .. 13F | ... 01 .. 27f |
| ... .. .. 12F | ... .. .. 26f |

That's it.

And personally I program FM8 to react on pitch bend most of the time, as that's - at least for now - the only parameter in revisit that works with deltas.

Edited by CS_TBL 2011-08-17 4:29 PM
fegi
Posted 2011-08-22 7:28 AM (#15283 - in reply to #15275)

Veteran

thank you chris and cs_tbl!

i had some time this weekend to try out a few things and actually had some success the documentation link is an interesting read. based on cs_tbl's example i was then able to write a simple bass line, with simultaneous cut_off and resonance filters. however i was not so successful with glides - some bending happens, but not at all how i would expect the sound to behave. is the speed value a real standard? i mean: should a glide G02 always take the same amount of time to bend from one note to the other with every vsti, or do all vsti's behave differently?
chrisnash
Posted 2011-08-22 5:07 PM (#15284 - in reply to #15283)

Developer

If you have matched the VSTi's Pitch Bend Range with that in the reViSiT instrument's settings, Gxx commands should work at the same speed for all VSTi's and also for reViSiT's own sample-based instruments. In the absence of [decent] documentation for your synth...

- if the vsti is gliding too slowly, you need to increase the reViSiT instrument's Pitch Bend Range setting.
- if the vsti is gliding too quickly, you need to decrease the reViSiT instrument's Pitch Bend Range setting.

In each case, it's probably best to increase/decrease the range by whole octaves. 

The Pitch Bend Resolution shouldn't affect the speed of a glide, only the smoothness. If it sounds stepped, try increasing it to 14-bit.

Naturally, the range setting determines how far you can bend MIDI instruments. If it's only 1 octave, don't expect to glide from C-3 to C-5. So, if your VSTi allows you to change these settings, the best configuration may be a 3 octave range and 14-bit resolution, set in both the VSTi and reViSiT.

Search for "bend" in the reViSiT help for details.

If you still have trouble, or think reViSiT or your VSTi is misbehaving, let me know the VSTi you're using and I'll see if I can replicate the issue.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)