Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & Development -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT 1.6 Pro Beta now available
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Testing & DevelopmentMessage format

chrisnash
Posted 2011-10-24 4:51 PM (#15285)
Subject: reViSiT 1.6 Pro Beta now available

Developer

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted any news, but rest assured, reViSiT development continues. I'm glad to invite all registered users to try the latest beta version of reViSiT 1.6 Pro. Although not the final release, this version has already been tested by several users, and should prove reasonably stable (many thanks to CS_TBL, fegi, and Reactor Grits).

I am also pleased to announce the beginning of reViSiT 2.0 development. Without giving away too much at this early stage, this new version will build on the strengths of the current program, while also offering a new way of creating and thinking about tracker music. More information will follow as development progresses. Until then, I’d like to hear about what features the forum would like to see in the next evolution of reViSiT.

In the meantime, reViSiT 1.6 Pro includes:

• Pattern Layers
    As in photo editing, reViSiT now allows you to layer up to 4 patterns on top of each other. Each pattern's data is mixed together at playback, allowing you to overlay patterns on top of a base layer, dynamically replacing any data in that underneath. For example, if higher layer has any data (notes, effects, volume entries, etc.) in track 3, row 3, then reViSiT will use it instead of data in the layer below. Accordingly, the Order List (F11) now has spaces for an additional 3 pattern entries at each stage of playback. Layers can be used in many ways, such as separating patterns into melodic, harmonic and rhythmic parts (using different channels, which can then combined in the final mix) or writing a template base pattern which you can then add to or override as necessary.

• Polyphonic MIDI-triggered Patterns
    With the new layer features, you can now trigger up to 4 patterns at once, the ranking of which is determined by the order in which you hit keys. This allows you to arrange and mix your song on-the-fly, by striking different chords on your MIDI keyboard. Different keys contribute different elements to the overall texture of your music. For example, C-5 could contain a harmony in C Major, whereas C#5 and D-5 contain different melodies. Similarly, E-5 and F-5 might contain percussive components that could be added, such as a bass and snare part in one, and a hi-hat or shaker part in the other. You can use the parts to jam with different arrangements or textures live, or you could use a sequencer’s MIDI editors and tracks to visually arrange your tracker song with the mouse.

• Pattern Browser (Esc in Pattern Editor) and Pattern Management
    To give you a broader overview of your music, reViSiT now offers a screen showing thumbnails of patterns, with tools to manage them (move, copy, insert, delete). This should help you to move about quickly and keep track of the wider song, between episodes of low-level note editing, in the Pattern Editor. To further help you identify and remember what patterns (or layers) represent, reViSiT now allows you to use 3-letter labels in place of Pattern Index, which is set using Pattern Options (F2 in Pattern Editor), visible in the Browser, and can be used in the Order List. It is also possible to trigger pattern or song playback from the Browser, and now also the Order List itself.

• Significant improvements in memory usage and other changes
    Among other tweaks, reViSiT now uses a more advanced memory handler for pattern data, no longer storing empty rows, tracks or patterns in memory. This can reduce the memory footprint to as little as 20mb, and should do so without significantly impacting performance. A handful of bugs and other changes have also been made, relating to window management, 32-bit sample support, and many workflow improvements.

Download the beta from:

http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/beta.htm

And as always; let me know how you get along, by posting on the forum.

Enjoy!
Chris

Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2011-10-30 3:31 PM (#15286 - in reply to #15285)
Subject: Re: reViSiT 1.6 Pro Beta now available

Expert

Until then, I’d like to hear about what features the forum would like to see in the next evolution of reViSiT.

Basically repeating what I've vented in private chats, but to open some of that up:
- full host tempo support (using the T command), by means of a VST3 bridge
- if possible, also host start/play/ff/rew from within reViSiT.
- velocity swing
- if possible: timing swing. Could be in timer ticks
- multiple midi envelopes per instrument
- catanya/7aliens
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)