Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Setting up MIDI in FL Studio to work with multiple VSTi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & SupportMessage format

tw9
Posted 2012-04-22 2:13 AM (#15311)
Subject: Setting up MIDI in FL Studio to work with multiple VSTi

New user

Hi,

reViSiT is great piece of software, and I would like to make it work in FL Studio 10. But for the love of god, I can't figure out, how to set it up to work with multiple VSTis.
My approach to this problem was using another VSTi, called midichannelfilter.dll developed by ndc Plugs and I did it like this:

1. Set up the output port of reViSiT to e.g. 20
2. Set up an instrument in reViSiT on midi channel 1 and output device to VST host
3. Set the midichannelfilter input port to 20 and output port to e.g 1 and select the midi channel to filter to be the number 1
4. Then load the actual VSTi to generate the sound and set the input port to 1

and this setting is actually partially working, for each other VSTi as instrument, I have to load other instance of midichannelfilter and set it to filter channel 2 etc... so I could end up with 16 different VSTis played by reViSiT.

The problem is, that some notes are cutted off, although they should be sustained. I have an instrument set on channel 4, which is routed to a VSTi with a pad sound. There is one note on the begining of pattern, there's no note off command, but some notes are cutted off short after they're played and other notes play continous through the whole pattern, as they're supposed to. But in a pattern, where only this pad instrument is playing, it sounds normal. This problem occurs only when more instruments on different midi channels are played simultaneously, so I suspect those midi channel filters are problem, probably they filter note on's, but not note off's and when there is a note off for E-5 or A-5 note on channel 1 it is send also on other channels, thus cutting other instruments.
I don't know how else I could solve this, how could I set it up differently in FL Studio
Using midi yoke doesn't help much in FL Studio or I don't know how it could.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tw9
Posted 2012-04-22 12:18 PM (#15312 - in reply to #15311)
Subject: Re: Setting up MIDI in FL Studio to work with multiple VSTi

New user

Found another midi channel filter, piz midi channel filter, and looks like this one's working properly and as expected, great!!!
chrisnash
Posted 2012-04-22 8:56 PM (#15313 - in reply to #15312)

Developer

Hi tw9,

Glad you sorted your problem out. Not sure how you managed to switch the "output port" to 20 - MIDI only has 16 channels! The issue you had sounds like the different instruments were trying to share a channel (either in reViSiT, or further down the chain, in your original filter plug) and ended up interfering - if the pitches match and the channels match, MIDI has no way of knowing which note to terminate.

It depends on what that filter plug was trying to do - it needed to do more than just filter, but also remap the events to use a different channel.

Let me know if you have any more problems.

Best,
Chris
tw9
Posted 2012-04-22 10:42 PM (#15314 - in reply to #15313)

New user

Output port in FL Studio is not the same as midi channel. It is some FL Studio's internal routing, I don't know exactly how it works beneath, but you can set it to maybe 99, I'm not sure.

It works like this - let's say I load a new Midi Out and set it's output port to 50 and midi channel to 1.
Then I load a VST, whose input port I set to 50. Notes played with the Midi Out will be sent to this VST and played. These ports are something like virtual midi devices, but working only within FL Studio.

So if I set reViSiT to output port 20 and load a VST with input port set to 20, all notes from reViSiT would be played by this VST. Because of this, I had to create midi filters with input ports set to 20, and each to filter one midi channel.
Like this:

reViSiT output on port 20|
....................................|---> midi filter with input port 20 set to filter channel 1 and set to output port 1---> VSTi 1 with input port 1
....................................|---> midi filter with input port 20 set to filter channel 2 and set to output port 2---> VSTi 2 with input port 2
....................................|---> midi filter with input port 20 set to filter channel 3 and set to output port 3---> VSTi 3 with input port 3
....................................|
....................................|...etc

So I think, there is no need to remap anything, each filter needs to pass all data for one midi channel to an appropriate VSTi and flush all other channels. Although, this could be a problem for multitimbral VSTi's or VSTi's receiving only on midichannel 1? I will maybe investigate this later, important is, it works.

I love tracking, thank you for this great software, master Nash
chrisnash
Posted 2012-04-23 1:04 AM (#15315 - in reply to #15314)

Developer

Glad you're enjoying reViSiT!

Chances are the MIDI message the VSTi's receive will still have the MIDI channel information, when passed onto their VSTi's. For monotimbral ones, they simply ignore the channel and play any note they receive ("OMNI mode"), but multi-timbral ones will be able to use the channel info to match notes to separate voices. In your example, if you sent both the second and third example to VSTi 2 on input port 2, you should be able to trigger different voices for MIDI Channel 2 and 3 messages (you should be able to select a channel for a voice, or vice versa).

reViSiT output on port 20|
....................................|---> midi filter with input port 20 set to filter channel 1 and set to output port 1---> VSTi 1 with input port 1
....................................|---> midi filter with input port 20 set to filter channel 2 and set to output port 2---> VSTi 2 with input port 2 (Channel 2 --> Voice 1)
....................................|---> midi filter with input port 20 set to filter channel 3 and set to output port 2---> VSTi 2 with input port 2 (Channel 3 --> Voice 2)
....................................|
....................................|...etc

If you do at some stage need to remap the MIDI channel, I'm sure there's some way to do that either with a built-in FL Studio feature or a plugin of some variety. Good luck!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)