Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about pitch bend message in midi out notes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Help & SupportMessage format

Alandor
Posted 2013-12-28 1:44 PM (#15440)
Subject: Question about pitch bend message in midi out notes

Hi. I started to play with audio software again (after almost a year) and when testing midi out messages I found out revisit always send a pitch bend message with every single note. I am really curious why is the reason for this behaviour as I didn't see it in the midi output of any other software. I guess it must have a very defined function but at this time I feel like being a total noob again so I can't figure it out. I would be very glad if someone could help me with the answer and explanation. So thanks very much in advance.

Greetings.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2013-12-29 12:57 PM (#15441 - in reply to #15440)
Subject: Re: Question about pitch bend message in midi out notes

Expert

It's probably based on legacy behaviour (IT, ST3), I've suggested the choice to not reset the pitch bend some time ago. There are situations in which an automatic pitch bend reset has its uses btw.
Alandor
Posted 2013-12-31 9:07 AM (#15442 - in reply to #15440)

Oh, I see. Thanks very much for answering CS_TBL. Just curious now, is there some kind of known problem that could arise from this behavior ? Truth is It would be great to know in advance just in case. Thanks again. Greetings.
CS_TBL
Posted 2014-01-01 1:16 AM (#15443 - in reply to #15442)

Expert

Well, the only problem I see in this behaviour is that you can't use pitch bend to set a fixed state, like you can with aftertouch, modwheel and other controllers. 'Use the other controllers then' you say? Fine, but only the pitch bend command currently has automated behaviour, working with delta values.

E.g.

F04
F00
F00
F00
F00

would be identical to some controller (0) doing:

00c

Even though there's the possibility of value interpolation (alt x), the pitch bend method is far more flexible and easier to use.
Alandor
Posted 2014-01-07 5:51 AM (#15444 - in reply to #15440)

Sorry for the late reply. I see. I will take this into account. Thanks very much again for your help.

Greetings
chrisnash
Posted 2014-01-09 11:13 AM (#15445 - in reply to #15444)

Developer

A trackers' control of notes is somewhat more direct than MIDI - the tracker, for example, knows what its internal synth (sampler) is capable of, and exposes more and finer control over synthesis. One area in which trackers have more control than MIDI is pitch - while MIDI can play a pitch and then bend it by a limited amount (normally +/- 1 or 2 octaves), trackers can change the frequency of the note as much as they like, allowing them to pitch bend the length of a keyboard, or execute portamentos and glissandi to other specific pitches.

In order to maintain as much compatibility between internal synth and MIDI synth controls, reViSiT tries to adapt the pitch bend controller of MIDI to function as much as possible like its own, more flexible system. This enables you to do pitch slides and even note-to-note portamentos (within the range of the MIDI synth's pitch bend) for MIDI voices using tracker effects (Exx, Fxx, Gxx, etc.) from within the pattern. However, to ensure the MIDI device behaves, it is necessary for reViSiT to give it a little more data, which means sending a few extra pitch-related messages for notes.

Needless to say, one limitation of MIDI that reViSiT is unable to work around is that MIDI Pitch Bend affects all notes on the MIDI channel at once, so unlike internal notes, you can't have multiple simultaneous pitch bends on MIDI notes. Thankfully, this scenario doesn't crop up to often!
Alandor
Posted 2014-01-10 8:26 AM (#15446 - in reply to #15440)

Thanks very much for the detailed answer chris. That clarifies things a lot. In fact sound really really amazing as I never thought Exx, Fxx, Gxx effects could be applied to control midi. That makes me really happy as that is something I've usually dreamed of from time to time, how cool it would be to be able to make a note to note portamentos directly in the same exact way is done with samples.

Thanks very much again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)