Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting Started -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

loading samples ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting StartedMessage format

Anonymous
Posted 2005-06-28 11:32 PM (#13195)
Subject: loading samples ?

hello, loading samples still a coming next feature ?, yes? i see a button but can´t reach it so i suppose its like that..
can´t wait to see mouse support on the pattern editor , and i wonder how its gonna work, normally to insert notes on trackers we need to double click a place on a pattern and insert a note, but remeber trying one tracker that we only need to single click and insert note and that way was more faster.. i wil like too to see an option to mute(on/off) a chanel channel, .. could be just a click on the chanel bar and turn it to a grey color and mute , this would be a simple way.. or mute/solo buttons for each chanel.. for me any of this ways would work just fine..
thanks!!
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2005-06-29 1:24 AM (#13196 - in reply to #13195)

Developer

All the features you mention are already supported. Please refer to the FAQ, release notes, or readme.txt.

http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/faq.htm#samples
http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/faq.htm#help

However, one thing I will say is that reViSiT is inspired by Impulse Tracker 2 mainly for one reason: its interface. And the chief strength of its interface was its use of the keyboard. Although reViSiT has mouse support (which will one day be further extended) it is and will always be optimised for the keyboard. Mouse support is being added to help people get started with reViSiT and the tracker idea in general, but everything is designed in away to ween people onto the keyboard.

You also seem to have a slightly confused idea of what a tracker is - I know of none where one can use the mouse to enter notes in the pattern. Perhaps you are thinking of a step sequencer (like in Reason, or Rebirth)? FL Studio might have this facility, but this is not a tracker - no matter what you've read on any marketing literature. It is derived from Buzz, which had a tracker-like component, but the relationship ends there. Renoise is an example of a tracker with fairly advanced mouse support (a tradition it inherited from Fast Tracker), but even its developers are going to baulk at the idea of using the mouse for entering notes.

Tracking is "touch-typing music", so try to think of writing a letter in a word processor with only the mouse. Also, try to think of playing the piano with only one key and one finger. In many people's opinion, the use of the keyboard makes Impulse Tracker better than Fast Tracker, trackers better than sequencers and PC's better than Mac's. But mice are easier to learn and simpler than keyboards, and therefore - despite the fact that keyboards are easier to use, faster, more efficient and powerful than mice - you'll find more FT users than IT users, more sequencers than trackers and more Macs than PC's, being used in music today.

Here endeth the rant.

Regards,
Chris

Anonymous
Posted 2005-06-29 3:59 PM (#13197 - in reply to #13196)

Chris , was not that what i meant, i was not thinking on inserting note with the mouse,
i just found 2 examples of trackers that act different, first example is we double click a position we want on the pattern editor and then with the keyboard insert the notes (the general trackers), and the second example is that we just have to single click on a pattern editor position and then also with the keyboard insert the notes ..
thanks..
Anonymous
Posted 2005-06-29 4:20 PM (#13198 - in reply to #13197)

,and thanks for the mute/unmute link , i thought this was not support it yet, glad i was wrongh..
Anonymous
Posted 2005-06-29 4:31 PM (#13199 - in reply to #13198)

and off course for the loading samples thing , i just got to get myself reading more the help (f1 and online) .. ii think i found what i was looking!
Anonymous
Posted 2005-06-29 11:54 PM (#13200 - in reply to #13199)

is there any way to assign a sample to a specific channel?
working with vsti´s i think we can´t right? with vsti´s i think it would work if we could set more midi outputs and then choose wich channel( in the pattern editor) coreesponded to wich midi output .., not sure if this would be any usefull , ..maybe with samples, i think i would enjoy to set the samples to any channels i choosed..
chrisnash
Posted 2005-06-30 12:30 AM (#13201 - in reply to #13200)

Developer

One idea of assigning samples to channels did occur to me when I was coding VSTrack (old reViSiT) for my master's thesis, and is definitely something that will be added. However, the first step is to get to the IT2 feature list, then we can start having some fun.

At the time, I mocked up a screenshot of what this might look like. Checkout the screenshots at http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/screenshots.htm - specifically the section entitled "Future Concepts (25/05/04)". Maybe "Audio Support" is the one you describe, but you might also be interested in "Waveform Preview". The latter concept involves getting a realtime preview of the output waveform post-processing. This might be useful for working out looks and timings, etc. The earlier concept also makes a cameo appearance in the current version of reViSiT - the greyed out "Assign to Track" button in the Sample List. Is this the kind of thing you're referring to?

As for moving the cursor around the Pattern Editor with the mouse, this will be supported in reViSiT eventually - probably even allowing dragging and drop of selections, as well as right-click context menus, etc.

All the best - and don't hesitate to ask any more questions (assuming they aren't already answered somewhere in the docs ),
Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)